Trying to open concession food truck

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Pursuivant

Re: Trying to open concession food truck

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:43 pm

Or then import from Germany its all EU-approved (supposedly)

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:10 pm

What I would rudely suggest is you go to the local TE-keskus and sign up for enterpreneurial classes in your integration programme. They'll explain you the ins and outs of Finnish taxes, the "system" of all that we've been explaining here in thorough detail and give Finnish classes... even pay for the hygiene pass. If you "fit in the box" things will go frustratingly slowly but you have the time to figure out "how stuff works" and you get things. After TE evaluates your dim sums you can in some cases get a startup loan/handout. Yeah, we all know you been in the business for a decade and three generations but the fact is that you're at the moment in the process of "think" which is not the same you "know". Jumping in headfirst has caused several people to have to face up to the fact they were "thinking" when they should have "known" - and confessing that hurts the ego so they rather whine the tax office being a bunch of arses. We *know* the tax office is a bunch of arses so no sympathy for the wicked. :wink: Well planned is half done.

phuongtranmass

Post by phuongtranmass » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:29 pm

[quote="Pursuivant"]Ummm... I hate to piss on your parade and ruin your cheerios, but a mobile food truck like your idea is will cost *more* than a dim sum place...

Yes, what you're saying does indeed make a lot of sense. My wife knows a Vietnamese couple who own one of those stationary food service trailers near a train station who might be trying to get out of the business. Who knows, maybe I will try to buy their business and hawk my offerings that way. I do have a business plan but the financial part of the plan is fuzzier than I would like to admit. Nonetheless, I will keep trekking forward this idea and take everybody's comments and tidbits of advice with me. Thanks again Pursuivant!

phuongtranmass

Post by phuongtranmass » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:30 pm

phuongtranmass wrote:
Pursuivant wrote:Ummm... I hate to piss on your parade and ruin your cheerios, but a mobile food truck like your idea is will cost *more* than a dim sum place
Yes, what you're saying does indeed make a lot of sense. My wife knows a Vietnamese couple who own one of those stationary food service trailers near a train station who might be trying to get out of the business. Who knows, maybe I will try to buy their business and hawk my offerings that way. I do have a business plan but the financial part of the plan is fuzzier than I would like to admit. Nonetheless, I will keep trekking forward this idea and take everybody's comments and tidbits of advice with me. Thanks again Pursuivant!

phuongtranmass

Post by phuongtranmass » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:20 pm

Cory wrote:
phuongtranmass wrote:
inkku wrote:not compatible with your idea of a food truck, but how about a proper dim sum place?
Ahh.. as Pursuviant mentioned, if you dont' have the funds to open a small dim sum place, then you won't have the funds to start a concession truck. The truck will run you a pretty penny since the truck you're thinking about doesn't exist here. Vehicles (any type) are not cheap here. Don't get discouraged though until you do some research.
"Small" dim sum place is definitely do-able. I apologize as the only images I was envisioning were large, full-scale restaurants that exist in USA and Canada.

For example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/crossroads ... 972248558/ or

http://www.flickr.com/photos/foodnut/3548758337/ or

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/images/2 ... -intro.jpg

But of course, me being so "Americanized", I conceptualize things as being bigger and grander (usually not good to do anyhow). Yes, Finland's population is a smaller demographic and a "regular" dim sum place just wouldn't be viable. Kind of like an Escalade or 3/4 ton Suburban being driven by Finnish taxi driver :cry: I grew up eating dim sum in "big places", which also served typical Chinese dinner dishes like Ginger Scallion lobster, steamed flounder in soy sauce, peking duck, and so on, and not in small places. It also doesn't hurt business when these food establishments have a customer-base made up of generation upon generation of Asian descendants of west coast railway slaves, boat people, and such.

Thankfully, I did come to Finland with a reasonable amount of start-up cash and am fortunate to have a mother-in-law and family in the states who are generous and kind enough to offer additional seed money if need be.

To that end, perhaps I can try serving dumplings and rice noodles out of a lifted Hummer H2 and park it front of a local Kotipizza or Kebab joint....what fun that would be :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:42 pm

You got the attitude allright :lol: But seriously - *hide the money* go to the työvoimatoimisto as a good foreign HBS case "mi lav blondie" and let them process you into an integration programme. Then go to the TE-keskus and look into what they offer - they have "foreigners wanting to establish a restaurant" courses only they want the rudimentary Finnish. Meanwhile you can harrass the Vietnamese for their hawking business (maybe try out how friendly and cosmopolitan Helsinki is on a December night the wind howling) and maybe you get ideas... (as into finding some idiot straight off the boat to buy the business) :wink:

inkku

Post by inkku » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:38 pm

bad service and dim sum go together, isn't it? :)

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:23 pm

I have been reading this thread, and now I am hungry for Chinese food, along with a few bowls of rice!

However, please understand that any non-EU specification vehicle, truck, van or whatever, might not be legal to register in Finland.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:24 am

Yes well but they won't ell it *before* you bring it over. And then the Katsastus says "piss off" and there you are crying "nobody told me" ;)

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Well its someone who "thinks" who usually do such things... :lol: those who "know" or even "have a vague idea" start calculating the odds... theres a bolloxload of rules "importing vehicles from non-EU countries" they have some really anal rules of EU conformity like the window glass need to have the "E" circle etc... now yeah... start changing the glassware :roll:
Last edited by Pursuivant on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:23 pm

Dim sun?

Don't people get enough of that already for half the year?
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:28 pm

no sun for a week or so now... getting CABINFEVEROUS

raamv

Post by raamv » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:52 am

Pursuivant wrote:no sun for a week or so now... getting CABINFEVEROUS
get a brite lite..

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:51 am

I did try an irish petite

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:27 am

Pursuivant wrote:I did try an irish petite
12 years old Jameson?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.