Working Placement in Helsinki

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Ekaterina

Post by Ekaterina » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi!

I'm looking for working placement in Helsinki starting from January to August 2010,
I do not speak finnish - so it's kind of a problem for me.

I'm looking for a position in a marketing, PR or advertising deparment.

I will apprisiate any help :roll:

Thankyou,

Katia

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Working Placement in Helsinki

Post by rinso » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:12 pm

Without speaking Finnish :roll:
- start looking in other branches too.
- make a plan B

EP

Post by EP » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:26 pm

During the past year advertising business has lost over 20 % of its jobs. And the slide just goes on.

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Well, there should be something for English speaking persons for they tell us at school that we should start searching some work practice placements. (and they're aware we don't speak Finnish because it's a school with tuition in English.)
I also understood that you don't really have a choice in the first year and you have to get one in Finland.

And since we're here, I'm interested, too, in a practice placement in Social Domain.
Free your mind and the rest will follow!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:31 am

jazzori wrote:(and they're aware we don't speak Finnish because it's a school with tuition in English.)
They offer those Finnish courses just for heckles.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:43 am

jazzori wrote:Well, there should be something for English speaking persons for they tell us at school that we should start searching some work practice placements. (and they're aware we don't speak Finnish because it's a school with tuition in English.)
I also understood that you don't really have a choice in the first year and you have to get one in Finland.

And since we're here, I'm interested, too, in a practice placement in Social Domain.
You have to understand that school HAS to make you go have work practice.
It does not mean that there are any opportunities for work practice for you without Finnish skills.

I will try to make my point more clear, or unclear.

You require practice to finish studies. Your current area has 4 practice spots available for no-speak people, but there are 20 no-speak students in your class.
4 students will have practice, rest will not. You will not graduate if you are not one of those 4. (though of course you can try again next year if you still have time to study left)

School has no responsibility to ensure that you will get practice (by providing it to you or ensuring there are spots available for all of you), school only has responsibility to ensure that you have practice completed to graduate. How, when and where you get your practice is your problem. School might be able to help, but just as well might not.

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:28 am

Pursuivant wrote:
jazzori wrote:(and they're aware we don't speak Finnish because it's a school with tuition in English.)
They offer those Finnish courses just for heckles.
Hah! Pursuivant, it's good that you're here. I learn so many new English words! ( :
We do have Finnish in school, but at that rhythm, I will manage to learn it when I don't need it anymore. ( maybe saying my last dying wish in Finnish )

Tiwaz, I've read and acknowledge what you wrote, but where did you come up with these figures?
Free your mind and the rest will follow!

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:51 am

I got the numbers off the top of my head.

I'm honestly not interested to figure out how many advertisement etc companies in Helsinki area are interested in trainee who speaks no Finnish, so I invented numbers out of thin air. Their purpose is to be descriptive instead of absolute numbers.

I have for example no knowledge on amount of classmates OP has either. I would guess 20 might be too little.

Mook

Post by Mook » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:54 am

rinso wrote:
Without speaking Finnish :roll:
- start looking in other branches too.
- make a plan B
At one point all 4 of the people in our marketing department did not speak any Finnish.

It depends who the company is marketing product to...
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Mook wrote: At one point all 4 of the people in our marketing department did not speak any Finnish.

How large portion of Finnish marketing you believe to be like your company?
90%? 50%? 25%? 10%? 5%? Less?

Mook

Post by Mook » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Tiwaz wrote:
Mook wrote: At one point all 4 of the people in our marketing department did not speak any Finnish.

How large portion of Finnish marketing you believe to be like your company?
90%? 50%? 25%? 10%? 5%? Less?
My company's customers almost all abroad. (We sell to mobile phone operators, so there's only three customers in Finland)

Every company that sells anything abroad will need English marketing - or would you do it in Finnish?

Unless you hadn't noticed, almost all international business is done in English. How many companies in Finland do international business?
---

Mölkky-Fan

Post by Mölkky-Fan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:45 pm

My last company the head of marketing was Canadian, and in my present company the head of marketing is Danish... so although this might not be so common in my experience it is not uncommon. But we are hardly marketing to Finnish companies, maybe some shipyards who speak English anyway, but mostly internationally.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:52 pm

Every company that sells anything abroad will need English marketing - or would you do it in Finnish?

Unless you hadn't noticed, almost all international business is done in English. How many companies in Finland do international business?
And they will gladly hire somebody for only 6 months to do their international marketing. :roll:

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:22 pm

The crunch messes things up a lot.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Mook

Post by Mook » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:28 pm

rinso wrote:

And they will gladly hire somebody for only 6 months to do their international marketing. :roll:
800 Euro/month marketing assistants can translate material and update websites too.
---