Schengen Visa and Work for a Cuban Artist

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
BlueZ

Post by BlueZ » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi,

I would appreciate help. My boyfriend (I'm Finnish myself) is Cuban who speaks Spanish and English and has never been to Finland. We're planning to get him there with the 3 month Schengen visa for next summer, the only thing that the visa doesn't seem to allow tax-paying jobs. Only seasonal - e.g. strawberry picking.

He's a full-time fine artist and a teacher with 13 years of experience, but it doesn't seem possible to find him a 'real' job before coming to Finland - meaning that he would have to enter the country with a Schengen Visa.

I have been trying to find information on seasonal work in the Capital City region - we live in Helsinki so he couldn't work outside the region.

Do you know if in any instances it is possible to find e.g. cleaning or warehouse work with this visa, or is this option completely out of options?

If we manage to get him a job as a strawberry picker somewhere in the region, that would be at least something. The only thing, it seems that last summer they hired less foreigners and more Finnish, due to the recession. Also, my boyfriend is not used to hard physical labor, being a fine artist after all. -- Not that he wouldn't be ready to try it, I know he would work as hard as possible if only somebody were willing to hire him!

Now... I am completely at loss here, as no matter how much I try to find information and plan ahead, it seems there are very few opportunities for him to use his 3 months in Finland working. Unfortunately without work he could not come, as I do not earn much myself as a student.

What could we do? He's an artist, but also designs and makes clothes, does graphic design and teach. Clothes and graphic design are not something he has a formal education of, not to mention there is a lack of documents regarding his work experience (as in Cuba nothing is as slackish as bureaucracy).

Oh and I have tried everything in my reach to get him a scholarship as an artist in Finland, but no luck. HIAP could offer an artist residence for him, but they only cover accommodation and the studio rent, and not the travel, living, or visa expenses. And so far there are no scholarships available to support Cubans' artist residence in Finland. :/

Anyone? Hints? Tips? Info? Or perhaps you know someone who could help?

Thanks!!

BlueZ & Felipe

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Schengen Visa and Work for a Cuban Artist

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 pm

Do you know if in any instances it is possible to find e.g. cleaning or warehouse work with this visa, or is this option completely out of options?
Schengen visa is generally for tourists.
it seems there are very few opportunities for him to use his 3 months in Finland working
Non-EU people generally need to have a residence permit (Or as you say he is an artist if theres some less than 3 month contract - but thats usually performing artists and such... also a teacher is possible - but again to find the project) But all that needs to be taken care of before. As you have tried.

So yes - you know all the facts. They maybe are not what you wanted, but you have done your homework. And much better than people usually do.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

raamv

Post by raamv » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:55 am

Tammisaari Arts and Design School..
Fiskars Sponsors ?

EP

Post by EP » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:16 am

Teaching in the local Työväenopisto?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:15 am

If he can get the resident artist stipend then you need to go canvassing different art schools.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

BlueZ

Post by BlueZ » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks guys... but he won't be getting any stipend money-wise, which is our biggest problem. After - IF - we get him to Finland, then he can look work in the afore-mentioned places, but I don't know if it's possible to find a job before he arrives.. especially when places like Tyovaenopisto would definitely need someone who speaks Finnish!

Doesn't look very good...

:(

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:50 am

from the aliens act:
Työnteko ilman oleskelulupaa

Oikeus tehdä ansiotyötä ilman oleskelulupaa on ulkomaalaisella, joka:

1) tulee kutsun tai sopimuksen nojalla tulkiksi, opettajaksi, asiantuntijaksi tai urheilutuomariksi enintään kolmen kuukauden ajaksi;

2) tulee kutsun tai sopimuksen nojalla ammattitaiteilijaksi tai urheilijaksi, mukaan lukien avustava, huoltava ja valmentava henkilökunta, enintään kolmen kuukauden ajaksi;

3) työskentelee merimiehenä joko kauppa-alusluetteloon merkityllä aluksella tai, tultuaan palvelukseen muualla kuin Suomessa, aluksella, joka pääasiassa liikennöi ulkomaisten satamien välillä;

4) tulee marjojen, hedelmien, erikoiskasvien, juuresten ja vihannesten poimintaan tai korjuuseen taikka turkistarhatyöhön enintään kolmen kuukauden ajaksi;

5) on kansainvälistä suojelua haettuaan oleskellut Suomessa kolme kuukautta, enintään hakemuksen lainvoimaiseen ratkaisemiseen asti;

6) tulee suorittamaan toisessa Euroopan unionin tai Euroopan talousalueen valtiossa toimivan yrityksen vakituisena työntekijänä palvelujen tarjoamisvapauden piiriin kuuluvaa tilapäistä hankinta- tai alihankintatyötä, jos hänellä on mainitussa valtiossa oleskeluun ja työntekoon oikeuttavat luvat, jotka ovat voimassa työn päätyttyä Suomessa; tai

7) tulee Suomeen tutkijaksi toisessa jäsenvaltiossa solmitun tutkijadirektiivin mukaisen vastaanottosopimuksen perusteella tutkijadirektiivissä tarkoitetun tieteellisen tutkimushankkeen suorittamista varten enintään kolmen kuukauden ajaksi.
(8.8.2008/516)

Kun työnantajalla tai toimeksiantajalla ei ole toimipaikkaa Suomessa, ulkomaalaisella on oikeus tehdä ansiotyötä ilman oleskelulupaa:

1) tuote-esittelijänä tai elokuvatyöntekijänä enintään kolmen kuukauden ajan;

2) ulkomaisessa omistuksessa tai hallinnassa olevan moottoriajoneuvon henkilökuntaan kuuluvana, kun ulkomaalainen kuljettaa ajoneuvoa, jonka rajan ylittävä kuljetus viedään määräpaikkaan tai haetaan lähtöpisteestä, taikka kun liikennöinti Suomessa liittyy säännölliseen reittiliikenteeseen paikkakuntien välillä, joista ainakin yksi sijaitsee ulkomailla, eikä ulkomaalaisella ole asuinpaikkaa Suomessa; tai

3) ulkomailta Suomeen suuntautuvan seuramatkan matkanjohtajana.

Jos samaa ammattialaa koskeva työntekijän oleskelulupahakemus tai elinkeinonharjoittajan jatko-oleskelulupahakemus on tehty aikaisemman oleskeluluvan voimassa ollessa, ulkomaalainen saa jatkaa työntekoa kunnes hakemus on ratkaistu.
Anything not mentioned here, he would not be allowed to do. It seems that the only items on the list that could possibly apply are the 1), 2) and 4) on the first list. There are no other options.

pra_ash

Post by pra_ash » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:13 pm

here you can see more information about artist in resisdance programmes in Finland. Some of them provides some kinds of supports too. I hope it will work. See your bf n you in some art programme in fINLAND. :D

pra_ash

Post by pra_ash » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:15 pm