Recommend Places to Live in Helsinki

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
gurmukh

Post by gurmukh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:22 am

Hey Guys!

I will be moving to Finland next Saturday (yay!) and have secured a 4 week apartment in Lauttasaarentie. After that I will need to find a decent apartment. This is hopefully where someone can help.

What places are "nice" to live in. By that I mean, easy transport links, safety and closeness to shops (for food etc).

I will be working in Otaniemi and also possibly in Helsinki central. So I would like a place that can be easily reached to both of these places. Some places I have found are:

Ruoholahti
Tapiola
Punavuori
Kamppi

I'm looking to spend around 1000EUR a month for an unfurnished apartment and size is the key. The bigger the better 8)

Could anyone shed some light and let me know what the above places are like and if I've missed any?

Many many thanks!!

G

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Recommend Places to Live in Helsinki

Post by Rip » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:57 am

As you likely know, you can check for prices at http://www.oikotie.fi, and transportation connections from http://www.ytv.fi/eng

Of the places you mentioned, Tapiola is the one where you could walk to Otaniemi. Shopping options are quite good too (not much regarding restaurants) and at least it seems a reasonably pleasant place (I have only visited the place). Also the bus connection to Helsinki center is good. The prices probably compare favorably to those in Kamppi and Punavuori.

First four weeks you'll be staying in Lauttasaari which is geographically in between of Helsinki center and Otaniemi. Local residents (including me) tend to be happy with the place - at least until the get their second or third kid and the price of a larger apartment drives them away. It's geographically the largest of the mentioned city districts, so the easiness of transportation varies depending on which part of it you live.

Leppävaara in Espoo would a place with good connections to Otaniemi (by bus) and to Helsinki center (by local train) and it certainly has shopping options and I assume is cheaper per m2 than any of the previously mentioned places, but I have no idea is it pleasant to live in (it does not look too good IMHO)

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:24 am

I'd stick to Lauttasaari or Tapiola. Otaniemi is just "under the bridge" from Tapiola so walking is an option. Other places you'll be transporting yourself.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

umit

Post by umit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:03 am

Lauttasaari would be the best, but don't expect to get more than 60m2 with 1000e budget...

gurmukh

Post by gurmukh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:00 pm

Hey Guys!

Thanks for your replys, it's been very useful. How about safety in those areas at night time, should I be wary of is it pretty safe like central Helsinki (well I found it that way anyway :lol: )

Thanks again!
G

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Helsinki centre is the unsafe place :lol:

gurmukh

Post by gurmukh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:19 pm

haha i'm coming from London so I'm sure it cant be that bad :p

Rip

Post by Rip » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:33 am

gurmukh wrote:haha i'm coming from London so I'm sure it cant be that bad :p
I guess not - but anyway, I (too) would certainly consider both Lauttasaari and Tapiola more peaceful and safer places during late hours than Helsinki center.

gurmukh

Post by gurmukh » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks!

Do these areas have good shopping places?

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:47 pm

gurmukh wrote:Thanks!

Do these areas have good shopping places?
Big shopping centres are at..
Leppävaara...Tapiola...Kamppi..(there are others but not near places that you have mentioned.)
But there are Super Markets at Lauttasaari.
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

gurmukh

Post by gurmukh » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks very much, what are your thoughts on Töölö?

Is this a nice safe area with good transport links?

Amandine.K

Post by Amandine.K » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Lehtisaari! So easy to get to Otaniemi (actually you could go there walking, just over the bridge). Good connection with the centre of Helsinki.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:26 pm

Yeah, if you can afford the gold tooth coast prices :lol:

TampereOwl

Post by TampereOwl » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:42 pm

gurmukh wrote:Thanks very much, what are your thoughts on Töölö?

Is this a nice safe area with good transport links?
Yes. It's much better than all your other suggestions so far.

I have been to Espoo a few times, and I can honestly say that I've never felt that I would like to be there for longer than is absolutely necessary. I heard a south american describe it approvingly as 'like suburban Miami', and I imagine that if suburban Miami had six months of darkness and slush, it might be comparable.

If you're not bringing children, partner, dogs and furniture, steer well clear of Espoo. You'll die of boredom.

regarding safety - i doubt there is anywhere in Finland you should be worried about, if you live in London now.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:02 pm

Except to get from Töölö to Tapiola with public transport is a pain in the arse. And as for shopping theres a couple small varubodens selling mince to the old ladies poodles. But nice quiet areas (unless you settle on the big roads)