Snowboarding?

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Bubba Elvis XIV

Snowboarding?

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:20 pm

Anyone done it? Is it fun?

I haven't even skkiiieieidid...but thought I'd give snowboarding a pop this year! Can't be harder than surfing.

Edit: I would like to (rudely) add that this is purely for interest...I don't need advice, I can use google or simply ask my GF, friends or work mates for that... :lol:

Black Flag kills ants on contact

Snowboarding?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

hackoff

Re: Snowboarding?

Post by hackoff » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:32 pm

Last year i started to snowboard , my first try was in SwingHill somewhere in nuuksio ( espoo ) at first me and my friend we couldnt even get up the hill we were just felling down every time we tried when the lift ( type : Poma Lifts ) pulls us up .
Luckily people in queuing behind us were so kind nobody said anything except some smiles and encouragement .

I went also to serena that was real fun as many people are beginner and the hill is bigger then here in Espoo and Kauniainen.

NB: Buy a helmet

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:43 pm

I heard that getting up the hill on the lift is the hardest part. :D

I am in Turku so we are looking at, Ellivuori, Meriteijo (and maybe the very local, but apparently awful, Hirvensalo)

http://www.ski.fi/ski_resorts

Have you done other board sports? How did it compare?

I'm not going to buy anything...rent and borrow first. I'll buy stuff later if I enjoy it and wish to do it more.
Last edited by Bubba Elvis XIV on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onkko

Post by onkko » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:52 pm

Does it count if i have sat in hill restaurant and laughed at snowboarders :twisted:
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

MagicJ

Post by MagicJ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:30 pm

Sorry not boarding but I've been skiing at Messilä twice. The first time wasn't very busy i went very fast and fell over a lot but managed to complete the longest hill after 2 hours having never skied before. The second time it was a bit busier and I realised that i could actually seriously injure someone so i'm a) a little nervous about putting skis on again and b) going to have a lesson or two.

My point is that others don't know how bad you are when you're going fast and that you don't know how to stop or turn safely, especially when your legs get tired. So, let's be careful out there.
Bubba Elvis XIV wrote: I haven't even skkiiieieidid...but thought I'd give snowboarding a pop this year! Can't be harder than surfing.

Isn't boarding harder than skiing with all that facing two ways nonsense? That's what i've heard anyway.

Oh and Bubba your link don't work innit.

http://www.ski.fi/ski_resorts
ImageImage

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:58 pm

You probably didn't go fast at all...It just felt that way. :D

Oh yeah, gonna have some lessons...Nothing worse than fannying around and realising you did everything wrong. The Gf's brother boards so I can even just go with him if he's around. I'll pay the instructors if he isn't.

The busy factor has always put me off...standing around and that and having kids in the way...One reason why I decided to do it this year is that I have so much free time that I can go when it's probably a touch quieter and get more out of it.

Might try some skiing too although it doesn't really appeal to me that much. But it's the experience and all that.

Dunno which is harder...I've heard snowboarding is harder than skiing.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:12 am

Bubba Elvis XIV wrote:thought I'd give snowboarding a pop this year! Can't be harder than surfing.
Tie your feet to surfboard so you cannot get them off without hands... I hope you fall backwards ;)
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:16 am

Some people do.... :wink:

(no, it's not fake)

Vesper

Post by Vesper » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:59 am

I've been snowboarding once and never again....

bad experience for me. it was at the end of the snow season, in March, when the ski slope was like a sheet of ice. I kept on falling over and over and over. So much I pissed off my ex-boyfriend and some kiddies were pissed off that I had fell in front of their 'jump' spot. And they couldn't 'jump' over me. I only went down the slope once, that was enough for me. I'm not into ice carving, but powder snow must be fun. yeah, go when it's powder, it makes a difference.

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:36 pm

So, I went today...and It was good fun. Tons of disasters and a few big slams but it was all good fun. My arse hurts and I wrecked my shoulders, I think they came out of their sockets for a little bit...But shall go again. Sadly, It's not cheap.

It was quite quiet, we seemed to arrive when the morning folk were leaving and left as the afternoon folk/morning shift people were arriving.
Upphew wrote:... I hope you fall backwards ;)
It's the falling forwards that was the worse. The grappling rule of 'Do NOT put your hands straight out to stop your fall' seems to get forgotten when your brain starts to freeze.

dave071061

Post by dave071061 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:02 pm

I´ve done both skiing and boarding and while snowboarding is harder to get to grips with to start it´s much easier to get good at it! (riding not jumps etc)

But please get some lessons to get the basics, it makes everything much less painful :)

and you might consider doing what I did and but your equipment as soon as you can, it´s much easier to go and do a couple of hours when you don´t have to fanny around with renting equipment every time, and it always feels the same :)

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Can you verify, then, that in this sport as in so many others (winter, summer, terrestrial, and aquatic), it really is simpler to get down the hill than up it?
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:48 pm

dave071061 wrote: But please get some lessons to get the basics, it makes everything much less painful :)
Yeah, I wanted to...I am a big believer in getting some lessons first with anything, saves you messing around and then trying to undo the mistakes 2 years later, you save a lot of time and effort in the long run...But someone else didn't agree :wink: . Probably next time though.
dave071061 wrote: and you might consider doing what I did and but your equipment as soon as you can
I would like to but money is tight at the moment...and the snowy season is so short here, half way gone. But with any luck we'll get a few more sessions in...if I still enjoy it, I will buy gear early next season or in the summer when prices are/could be lower.
AldenG wrote:Can you verify, then, that in this sport as in so many others (winter, summer, terrestrial, and aquatic), it really is simpler to get down the hill than up it?
I can't comment...But I shall ask a skiing salmon to give their opinon and I'll get back to you.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Bubba Elvis XIV wrote:Yeah, I wanted to...I am a big believer in getting some lessons first with anything, saves you messing around and then trying to undo the mistakes 2 years later, you save a lot of time and effort in the long run...
Huh? 2 years later? Are you prince of persistence? I have hard time doing anything longer than... ooo! lookielook! Shiny....
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:43 pm

Upphew wrote: Huh? 2 years later? Are you prince of persistence?

King of Persistance....Nah, just too dumb to notice...and too stubborn to change.
Upphew wrote:I have hard time doing anything longer than... ooo! lookielook! Shiny....
You are taking your pills aren't you?

I have a terrible attention span unless it's gaming...blinkey lights and explosions see. But then again...I just exited an online game cos I couldn't wait the 30 seconds to spawn... :lol: