English Teacher

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Ati

English Teacher

Post by Ati » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi there,

I am an English teacher moving to Helsinki for my husband's studies and job. I am so worried about myself getting lonely there. Do you think I can find a job as an English teacher there? I am thankful for your kind help!

English Teacher

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: English Teacher

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:29 pm

Are you a native English speaker?
Do you want to teach EFL or English to school children? Do you speak Finnish?
Do you have a visa / work permit?

... it all depends. But if you are not a native speaker and / or don't have a formal teaching qualification then you will find it difficult to get work.

To teach English to children in school you probably need to speak Finnish and have a teaching qualification. There are a few English language comprehensive schools around but they want native speakers.

To teach adults you need to be a native speaker. The private sector is still cost-cutting, so there is not a huge amount of work available at the moment teaching business English inside companies.

There are one or two language schools who pay so badly they are always looking for new teachers.... PM if you want a list!

BTW, a friend of mine who runs a language school in Helsinki told me she received over 40 CVs at the end of the summer from teachers looking for work. And she hired none of them.

Ati

Post by Ati » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:57 pm

I am not a native speaker, but I have been teaching even at universities for 7 years, and I think I have good accent and pronunciation as others tell me. Is that possible for you to give me the contact info of that school? By the way, I am learning Finnish, too. Are there any schools teaching Finnish for free there? Thanks
Last edited by Ati on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onkko

Post by onkko » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:12 am

Ati wrote:...taht...cntact ...teh...
You are making connections here, dont @#$% it up.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:35 am

OP is just showing that she iz fluent in teh lolspeak as well :)

Ati

Post by Ati » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:23 pm

That was a typo!!! I'm sorry to have assumed that you guys can understand them! Linguistically and scientifically, people with normal IQ and natural linguistic competence can have no problem recognizing words even if the letters are not in the right order! That could be an IQ test!!!! You FAILED! LOL

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 pm

Ati wrote:That was a typo!!! I'm sorry to have assumed that you guys can understand them! Linguistically and scientifically, people with normal IQ and natural linguistic competence can have no problem recognizing words even if the letters are not in the right order! That could be an IQ test!!!! You FAILED! LOL
:thumbsup: Good job seeking attitude there, keep it up.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:55 pm

You FAILED! LOL
Nope. I already live in Finland and have a great job. I have nothing to prove, you do. There is nothing LOL about finding a job in Finland right now, and you really need to make sure to act/write like a professional while trying to get people to hire you.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 pm

Ati wrote:That was a typo!!! I'm sorry to have assumed that you guys can understand them! Linguistically and scientifically, people with normal IQ and natural linguistic competence can have no problem recognizing words even if the letters are not in the right order! That could be an IQ test!!!! You FAILED! LOL
Except our school system frowns upon such idiotic tests when your purpose is to teach people to write and speak PROPER English instead of some typo-version.

No school wants teacher who cannot write without doing THREE simple typos in single phrase.
And they do not take "it was IQ test!"-response well either.

To shortly quote Mr. T: "Fool."

Mook

Post by Mook » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:17 pm

(sorry, can't resist)
They can have no problem, but that doesn't mean that they won't.
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com