Recipe sharing?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more

"To recipe or not to recipe, that is the question!"

Poll ended at Sun May 11, 2003 10:14 pm

Yes, I have nothing better to do all day.
54%
No, I don't do the chef thing.
15%
Whatever.
31%

Total votes: 13

Poupe

Post by Poupe » Fri May 16, 2003 7:41 pm

Thai food anyone?

PouPe S.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Poupe

Post by Poupe » Fri May 16, 2003 7:44 pm

if anyone is interested in thai food i can share some recipes / or tell you where to get an ingredients in Finland

now lemme think........ recipes......hmmm

we just organized the thai food festival in Helsinki(CAISA), i was an organizer but i didnt get to eat anything :(
have to buy the kebab on the way home instead :roll:
PouPe S.

Donald

Post by Donald » Fri May 16, 2003 9:24 pm

Poupe wrote:Thai food anyone?
Hey, I love Thai food but I'm not much of a cook. You're welcome to come cook at my house anytime! :D

Minna

Post by Minna » Fri May 16, 2003 9:32 pm

Donald wrote:
Poupe wrote:Thai food anyone?
Hey, I love Thai food but I'm not much of a cook. You're welcome to come cook at my house anytime! :D
Uhmm, Donald didn't post that one! :oops:

jvrijn

Post by jvrijn » Fri May 16, 2003 10:49 pm

Poupe wrote:if anyone is interested in thai food i can share some recipes / or tell you where to get an ingredients in Finland

now lemme think........ recipes......hmmm

we just organized the thai food festival in Helsinki(CAISA), i was an organizer but i didnt get to eat anything :(
have to buy the kebab on the way home instead :roll:
Yes interested!!! Yes interested where I can get the ingredients!!!

/Jeroen

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat May 17, 2003 10:24 am

There is a Thai shop in the Forum building acrooss O'malleys and Torni.
Then there is ViiVoan in Hämeentie next block from the market hall.
Theres a Chinese shop in Kurvi on Hämeentie... where the "Kurvi" used to be there is some primacafe there.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Poupe

Post by Poupe » Fri May 23, 2003 7:14 pm

oops, Hank knows better than me :P
yep the shop called Thai market behind hotel Torni
and in Kallio called Bangkok center...

i think the stuff there is expensive.. i live on errikinkatu so it is very convenient if i want anything that is really special...but i can find coconut milk from sesto or siwa with ok price as well,
or nowadays a lot of thai product in the supermarket,, so i dont need to buy any special ones,, but you can get lemongrass, ginger,papaya , thai chiili or stuff like that from there......costly though

hmm i bought some kind of instant spice..from thailand , a lot a lot a lot, i put to the cubboard in the kitchen looks like a bookshelf..
for example, chiilipaste for the tom yam soup ( there is some grounded herbs like lemongrass, chilli,garlic, etc. in there) and then i add coconut milk, and meat. then i got a nice bowl of tom yam soup...taste good and cheap,, (the spice i bought from Thailand costs less than 10 cents but in the thai market in Hki costs 2 euros)

nowadays there is also fish sauce, in the shop, santamaria brand. cost about 2 euros. and i found that now the sweet chilli sauce is very poppular here, you put to the meat or rice or noodles (for example in wrong noodle bar ) in Thailand we only eat with grilled chicken :oops:
PouPe S.

Quantum

from LAOS

Post by Quantum » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:29 am

"Thai food anyone"
yammy:)
it will certainly keep you bisy for a while ;)
Vlad

MANGO CHICKEN SALAD WITH LIME DRESSING

2 medium (850g) mangoes
2 medium (240g) carrots
2 medium (240g) zucchini
1 medium (200g) red peper, sliced
1 medium (200g)yellow pepper, sliced
2 cups (160g) bean sprouts
4 green shallots, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
4 (600 g) roughly chopped cooked chicken
1 (150g) unsalted roasted cashews

LIME DRESSING
2 tablespoons mild sweet sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 fresh red chillies, seeded chopped (? have some doubts may use one)
1/4 (60 ml) lime juice
1 egg yolk
1 cup (250 ml) vegetable oil

To cut mango:
Step 1. Cut cheeks from mango as close to seed as possible
Step 2. Using tip of a sharp knife, make about 4 cuts through
flesh, without cutting through skin. Make anouther 4 cuts in the
opposite direction.
Step 3. Turn mango cheek inside out by pressing skin gently in the centre.
Pieses can now be cut away from skin. The remaining strip of mango
can be cut from seed, if desired. Repeat with remaining mango.

Peel strips lengthways from the carrots and zuccini.
Just before serving, combine mango with vegetable strips and remaining ingradients in bowl; drizzle with the lime dressing.

Lime Dressing: Blend or process all ingradients until creamy.
Serves 6 to 8

tom

Help needed

Post by tom » Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:32 pm

Hi Guys

I have been looking for a good apple crumble recipie for some time, when i ask the locals they think my brain is crumbled, obviously not a hit on a Finnish menu, any help??

MinnaRaisanen

chicken

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:16 pm

I think this is a great idea!! And I'm with Sara...what's up with that funny orange merinade???? It's nasty!! Back home we always used Italian light Kraft salad dressing and it was sooooooo good!! Here, I have yet to see something like that. There is one, but of course, there is dill in it...not so crazy about dill everywhere!

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:49 pm

Having translated two cook books into English with a British colleague, I should be in favour of recipes being published here. But so much is already available on the Internet. I am a lousy chef myself and seldom try anything fancy.

Like this recipe we translated:

Muskrat stew with vegetables

rear legs of 4 muskrats
4 dl carrots (in 1 cm long pieces)
4 dl leek (in 0.5 cm long pieces)
3/4 dl water or berry wine or red wine
salt

Cut the legs in half. Put the leg sections and vegetables in layers in a pot.
Cover the ingredients with wine or water. Place the pot in an oven and cook for two hours at a temperature of 170°C.

Want more? I doubt. One of our books deals with very unusual stuff.

~luna~

pizza!

Post by ~luna~ » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:32 am

quick homemade pizza (for normal electric ovens)

for 1kg dough

500 gr hard wheat flour (possible substitution: bread flour, whole flour)
500 gr soft wheat flour (possible substitution: all purpose flour)
25 gr fresh yeast (you usually find it in dairy products fridge, do not use dried powders)
1 pinch sugar
blandly warm water, prepare one liter (temperature should be around 30°-35°C, that is slightly above the body temperature: stick a hand under running water and adjust the heat until you feel it's ok, then start filling the jug)
3-4 tablespoons olive oil (it might be a bit more but keep in mind that: too few = hard, dry and cracked dough = burnt chalk; right dose = firm, elastic and smooth dough = pizza; too much = hard, gummy and oily dough = fried rubber. possible substitution: soy oil)
2-3 pinches sea salt
a large bowl
a glass
a big plastic spoon
a clean cloth
a woolly blanket
---

combine flours in the bowl and dig a small hole in the center. in the glass dissolve yeast and sugar with a bit of warm water and mix well with a teaspoon. pour yeast into the flour hole and start stirring energetically with the plastic spoon, adding more water - say, like half a cup at a time - every now and then and mixing well after every addition. add oil and salt and go on stirring/adding water until the dough has pulled together (the cleaner the bowl's walls, the better).
turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead energetically until smooth and elastic. now concentrate on something you really really hate, grab the dough, smash it hard down and knead again. repeat for a couple of times. wrap dough in the clean cloth (not too tight), wrap the whole thing again in the woolly blanket (not tightly, again) and let it rise for 45' until doubled in size. (in the meanwhile, prepare all the toppings and the sauce).
when dough's ready, cut it into pieces approx. the size of the pizza you'd like to have. knead every piece again and with the aid of a rolling pin flatten the small balls until they're about 5 mm thick. lay on the pans, and top with the tomato sauce.

now, cooking with an electric oven is not easy, so you better cook a small pizza as tester.
heat the oven to 220°C, turn fan off (if you can't put the pan as far away from the fan as you can) and put the pan inside for 10'. remove it, add the toppings, cook for 10' more, remove it again for the last minute toppings and check the result.
most frequent problem with electric ovens is that the base is undercooked, if this is your case, you can: 1. lower the starting temp. to 180°-200°C, allow the base with tomato only to cook a bit more and rise the temp. to 220°C before putting the rest, or 2. pre-cook the base straight onto the cooker for 10' (mind you, to do that, you better make small pizzas and either have suitable baking pans or cook the base in a large non-sticky frying pan and move it to the pan afterwards).
average total cooking time is around 20'-25', but depending on the factors listed above, it might be longer or shorter, you have to experiment.
when the pizza is ready, you can add a few drops more of olive oil or hot spicy oil and then serve.
bon appétit :D

------
for a basic sauce

3 cans peeled tomatoes (possible substitution: half a bottle of tomato sauce with 2 tablespoons of water)
2 cloves garlic (skip this, if you don't like it)
2 tablespoons good olive oil
2-3 generous pinches origani
2 pinches sea salt

pour entire content of tomato cans in a bowl, extract the tomatoes, chop them into small cubes then put them again in the bowl. cut cloves in half vertically and remove the central germ. mince finely and put in the bowl with the rest of ingredients. mix. sauce ready.

toppings

the classic choice is mozzarella cheese, obviously, but local cheese is quite good as well.
so let's say any young, semi-hard, low fat cheese could do for a good result. cut it in slices or in small cubes, do not grate it in filets!! please, i'm weak at heart :cry:
also, every type of cold cuts is ok, but remember that ham is always the *last* thing to put in the oven. that is, if you want ham on your pizza, you have to remove the pan from the oven two minutes before it's ready, add the ham and cook on for the last two minutes. (parma ham must not be cooked, if you plan to do that, you better not tell me or risk being bashed with a parma ham, whole :twisted: ). other last minute toppings can be: canned tuna 5', hot salami 5', gorgonzola cheese 3'.
olives and fresh vegetables/spices are added a few moments before serving the pizza.
hardware store: similar to a black hole in space - if he goes in, he isn't coming out any time soon

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:49 am

Poupe wrote:or nowadays a lot of thai product in the supermarket
Well, I just was to the Citymarket the other day and noticed apart from having ready made pastes, the SantaMaria brand also had now two 'Indian' ready made spices as well as 3 'Red' 'Green' and 'Yellow' Thai Curry. Don't know if they are up to standard, but gives a nice seasoned taste to soup, and making satay from peanut butter is getting a bit more up to par.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: pizza!

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:57 am

~luna~ wrote: pizza
Wow, great! need to try that. Been lazy for long time to just get frozen pizza bottom as the dough is really hard to get right. Then there is also the different schools of how to make the bottom, thin or thicker. What I do with an electric oven for thick ones is to put only the bottom heat on and the dough to cook a bit there first, but for thin bottomed ones I put the dough on a cooking paper, put it on an upside down pan, cook it top grill for a quick few minutes, and then take it out, flip and fill. I use the "grill" @300 for making pizza, but it requires very fast movement and knowing exactly how your ingredients will do - and for thin bottom only. Lets say I've managed to make a few 'carbonara' that way :mrgreen:

...not to mention theres 2 pizza parlors just across the street so... lazy! :oops:
Cheers, Hank W.

dreamer

Re: pizza!

Post by dreamer » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:48 am

~luna~ wrote:quick homemade pizza
:thumb_up: grazie!

I will try it out, although it looks quite hard....