Tourist Visa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Maulik

Tourist Visa

Post by Maulik » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:54 am

Hi
My friend is in a big trouble.He got his wife on tourist visa for 3 months.,After 3 months they went back to India and now when they applied for tourist visas again they said its not possible to get visas again in there should be gap of 6 months before u can do anything.Is anyone aware of such rule?
Also does anyone know of authority where we can verify this claim?

Thanks
Maulik

Tourist Visa

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:03 am

I believe this to be the rule..there has to be a gap between consequitive tourist visa..not sure of the length of time but six months sounds to be realistic...I thought the idea was one could only come here once, or max twice a year, as tourist from Non EU country.
A tourist visa is exactly what it says on the can..you cannot use them to obtain quasi semi permanent residence.
You can only use them to visit Finland for short periods of time vis a vis max 3 months..then you go back home and can visit again next year..for another 3 months as a tourist.

eashton

Post by eashton » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:19 am

Well, I think a lot depends on the country of origin as well as the visa. Have him check with the embassy and see what they can do but if they say 6 months, they likely mean 6 months. Hell, I'm entering the 7th month of waiting for a residence permit renewal and can't really leave the country and expect to get back in.

They probably suggest 6 months as that's how long it takes for them to collate all the data and process visa applications :)

And next time, don't leave the country without a valid visa if they intend to return :)

Wombat

Post by Wombat » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:24 pm

eashton wrote:They probably suggest 6 months as that's how long it takes for them to collate all the data and process visa applications
Urrrh no, they quote six months because it's the law! It's a maximum of three months total in a six month period starting from the date of arrival entered in the passport.

A re-entry visa shall be issued for a stay not exceeding three months at a time. The total length of successive stays may not, however, exceed three months in any half-year.

Not only Finland but the time spent in the following countries counts too

When counting the period, when the alien is not required to have a visa, the time spend in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden during the last six months shall be deducted.

The Finnish Directorate of Immigration will be able to confirm the details.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:42 pm

Actually it is the Schengen area (EU + Nordic countries).

So the visum is for 3 months at a maximum in a year, that's what I understood.
-----------------

Ulkomaalainen tarvitsee yleensä oleskeluluvan voidakseen oleskella pidemmän aikaa Suomessa.

Oleskelulupavelvollisuudesta on kuitenkin poikkeuksia, jotka koskevat mm. Pohjoismaiden ja EU-maiden kansalaisia.

Oleskeluluvan saanut henkilö voi asua, oleskella ja liikkua Suomessa niin kauan kuin lupa on voimassa. Hän voi välillä poistua maasta ja palata maahan takaisin. Hän voi myös käydä muissa Schengen-valtioissa ja käyttää oleskelulupaa kuten viisumia. Hän voi viipyä näissä maissa puolen vuoden aikana enintään 90 vrk, jos oleskelulupa on voimassa. Hän ei kuitenkaan saa olla kyseiseen maahan maahantulokiellossa.

Ketkä eivät tarvitse oleskelulupaa
Perusteet oleskeluluvan myöntämiselle
Mistä oleskelulupaa haetaan
Oleskeluluvan voimassaolo

Ketkä eivät tarvitse oleskelulupaa

Pohjoismaiden (Ruotsin, Norjan, Tanskan tai Islannin) kansalaiset voivat vapaasti tulla Suomeen ja oleskella Suomessa ilman oleskelulupaa. He eivät tarvitse myöskään työlupaa mennäkseen ansiotyöhön.

EU/ETA-maan kansalainen voi oleskella, tehdä työtä, harjoittaa ammattia tai opiskella Suomessa kolme kuukautta ilman oleskelulupaa. Jos oleskelu kestää kauemmin, tarvitaan oleskelulupa. Sen myöntää paikallispoliisi.

eashton

Post by eashton » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:12 pm

Wombat wrote:Urrrh no, they quote six months because it's the law! It's a maximum of three months total in a six month period starting from the date of arrival entered in the passport.
Sorry if I didn't include one of those little animated faces for the literalist fsckheads. Yes, I know it's the law, I was being sarcastic.

Also, this restriction along with visas may vary widely for those outside of EU countries, the US and UK/US territories like Australia :)

Poupe

Post by Poupe » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:44 pm

Hi,
I'm from Thailand.I can give you an example of my case...

I have been coming here with tourist visas for atleast 4 to 5 times...each time i had to leave the gap for 3 months (within 6 months time you can only apply for 1 tourist visa and maximum days to stay in the country are 90 days) which means,... for example,
if you apply for a tourist visa to come here in June, and you stay in the country for 90 days,,, then September or in the beginning of October that you have to leave the country..then you can apply for the next visa in February the next year..

i registered a marriage here in September 2002 and applied for a residence permit. after three months (February) i came here again with the tourist visa...and stayed 3 months....and after 2 months then my residence permit was ready... it took 7 months to get my residence permit.. but after you got it, then there is no more worrries..... :P

but now i want to go home so badly ! but i just cant :cry:
PouPe S.