Greetings

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Argo

Greetings

Post by Argo » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:34 am

Mm.. where should i begin. Well, i've been facinated with Finland(The culture, people, the language, everything about it. Mainly through music), maybe moreso obsessed, for about 2 years now. I finish highschool this summer, and i stumbled upon this site in an attempt to find a way to begin teaching myself Finnish online. I just spent five hours on the practice sessions, and decided to check the forums.. wow. What a great place this is.. everything one could possibly want to know, it feels as if i've stumbled upon an oasis. :P Anyway.... you all have probably guessed i would like to live in Finland. But.. education is still at hand, and that's the main purpose of this.. i've read several topics here already, lots of talk about exchange programs, and things of that sort. What i would like is any advice towards what i should do now, to bring me to my ultimate goal of living in Finland. I don't know if i should attend college here, or perhaps it would be best to go straight to Finland, although i imagine that to be quite difficult at this point. Also, if anyone wishes to catch me on an instant messager to lend a lengthy word of advice or just chat about Finland, they may IM me via AIM at Argothian Wurm. Many thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to reply here. :P

Greetings

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

kalmisto

Expatriate Finns

Post by kalmisto » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:41 am

Hi Argo!

I think that you should think twice before you decide to move to Finland . Some foreigners in Finland regret bitterly that they came here.

Here is an interesting site for you :

http://www.utu.fi/erill/instmigr/eng/e2_finnsabr.htm

It helps you locate Finns in new York.

bohica

Post by bohica » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:15 am

The last post was kind of negative, but also very true. Moving to Finland is not something that you just do on the drop of a hat. Moving away from home is enough of a transition as it is, doing it in another country is even more so.

But, I lived in Germany when I was 18 (I'm American). If you're serious about this, I would recommend that you do it via an organization such as a foreign exchange program, but not alone.

Argo

Post by Argo » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:02 am

Oh, i'd like to arrive with an organization/exchange, especially exchange... But i'm just unfamiliar with the means. And as far as giving more thought to this, there is nothing else calling me at the moment. I need to work towards something i really want, and this is what i most want at this moment. So, i will continue until i find a reason not to. Problem is, at the moment i don't really know how to go about making things happen, on a scholastic level. :P

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:12 am

The question is: "what do you want to be when you grow up" ?

Like its not much use to come study Square Dancing or American Literature in Finland.

Go wade through http://www.cimo.fi => cross reference the schools (say polytechnics) with US colleges there are reciprocal agreements and then make a few 'plan A' , 'plan B' & so forth.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:53 am

Hank W. wrote: Go wade through http://www.cimo.fi => cross reference the schools (say polytechnics) with US colleges there are reciprocal agreements and then make a few 'plan A' , 'plan B' & so forth.
Phase one: collect underpants.
Phase two:
Phase three: profit
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

miti

Post by miti » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:27 am

Hei Argo.

I think that Hank's question is very much in place. I can very well understand your wish to come and live in Finland, but suppose you manage to move here - do you have any idea what would you like to do or at least what would you want to study?
I am not trying to discourage you at all, I just think that you should try to think things through first and this way you can use your next years much more efficiently. Coming for one year as an exchange student can be a great thing and is a very soft and pleasant landing in Finland. I fully recommend this (did it myself) - just keep in mind that some people are too euphoric after such one year. You have then a very good safety net - socially, financially, and you don't always have it in 'real' life - after your studies etc.
If there is any kind of professional training or studies area you wish to take you could start studying/training it already now in the States and combine a stay in Finland as a part of it.
If there is no special subject that you are interested in studying at the moment but you still want to go to Finland maybe you could try and take Finnish studies at the university or college (they don't have them everywhere, but in some places) and at least you can catch up on the language before you arrive. You can experience Finland much better once you speak the language.
Just check before you enrolle somewhere whether they have exchange connections with Finland. Good luck!
Miti.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:01 am

Welcome Argo! I am a native of Massachusetts, so we're sort of "neighbors".

It is great that you are researching options to sample life abroad, and if you want it that badly you will find a way to do it.

But also be sure to keep a grip on reality. It will probably be an enormous shock coming from NYC to Finland, especially if you've lived your whole life in the Big Apple. Unless of course you really believe that you don't belong in NYC, which you'll find out soon enough when you spend time abroad.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:11 am

I think if you study here you can't go wrong. Lots of parties, lots of friends. I'm, sure you'll have a blast.

However, you might find life tougher if you want to stay when "real life" starts after graduation.

aRabbit

Post by aRabbit » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:14 am

There are always means to achieve some goals. The biggest matter is to decide what to do or figure out some sort of general plan. Nobody else but you can do that. Good advice has been given above.

Don't rush, take some time to collect information, for example on exchange program if you are interested in it. Go visit local organizations which are dealing these issues, etc. I didn't know what to do when I graduated from high school. Even now sometimes asking myself what the hell I am gonna deal with this , or that, or...
After all, yor are young, have time, :wink:
Reality is when you stop believing, it will not vanish.

Argo

Post by Argo » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:39 pm

Many thanks to all who replied. I'm not in a big rush to move there, i'm merely in a rush to -prepare- to be able to, i don't want any opportunities to slip by, basically. Thus, are there any opportunities right now? Well.. i know there are, but any obvious ones i should be definately doing? Sorry for the vagueness, but i haven't the slightest idea how to attack this. :P

Satiro

Re: Greetings

Post by Satiro » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:05 pm

Argo wrote:Mm.. where should i begin. Well, i've been facinated with Finland(The culture, people, the language, everything about it. Mainly through music), maybe moreso obsessed, for about 2 years now.
Well, I'm in a very close situation to yours (It's nice to know somebody else is interesting in Finland, it sound strange to people) :P . I think the best way to get there is a student exchange, "real life" could be very hard, and alone much more. I did it in England. Anyway it`s mainly a question of willingness, thought. Good luck :)
Aut tace aut loquere miliora silentio