Moving to Finland from Germany

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
srb

Post by srb » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:02 pm

I am SRB, Indian national having Indian Passport.
I work for an Indian company that has branches in Germany and Finland.
Currently I am working in Germany on deputation with green card.
I have got the residence permit in Germany.

Now, I am seeking the work permit in Finland as I have to work at my company branch in Finland.
Could any body let me know the procedure for obtaining the work permit.
Is it possible to get the work permit from Finnish embassy in Germany or I have to go back to India for getting the Finland work permit.

My wife also here with me in Germany on dependent residence permit.
What is the procedure for her to get residence permit in Finland.
Is it possible to get the residence permit from Finnish embassy in Germany or she has to go back to India for getting the Finland residence permit.

Please suggest.

Thanks,
SRB

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:17 pm

Well, your company branch in Finland will need to apply for the work permit. Or 'work opinion'. You need to contact them first.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:17 pm

Well, your company branch in Finland will need to apply for the work permit. Or 'work opinion'. You need to contact them first. After you have a favorable 'opinion' then you apply for a residence permit (allowing you to work).
Cheers, Hank W.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:28 pm

A Non EU citizen with a residents permit and work permit in another EU country.
With a wife on a dependents residents permit.
Wants to move him/wife to take employment in Finland.

First question is does your Indian company have a registered address in Finland i.e. does it exist and have staff?
If so...
They have to assist in getting your work permit...coming here to job that exists is alway easier. They should contact their local police immigrants office for advice.
The procedure/pain etc for getting here and getting wife here is probably very similar to that when you moved from India to Germany..the Germans are probably a bit better organised and they probably handle the applications/paper work more efficiently...The language barrier German/English is not as dramatic as English/Finnish.
You can check the Finnish Embassy in Berlin ..the fact that you have residents permit in Germany may help depending on how long it is valid.
If it is soon to expire than you probably have to start again in India.

srb

Post by srb » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:39 pm

Thanks for the info Hank and Peter.

I have got the favourable openion and we have valid residence permit here in Germany for one more year.
I am interested in knowing,
- can we apply/get the residence permit from Finnish embassy here in Germany
OR
- we have to go back to India and apply/get the residence permit from Finnish embassy in India.
OR
- we can come to Finland with this German visa/residence permit and then we can apply/get the residence permit there in Finland.

Please clarrify
Thanks,SRB

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:58 pm

PeterF wrote:First question is does your Indian company have a registered address in Finland i.e. does it exist and have staff?
If so...
They have to assist in getting your work permit...coming here to job that exists is alway easier. They should contact their local police immigrants office for advice.
You did not answer this question...
On your three alternative..you can probably apply via the Finnish Embassy in Berlin why not phone and ask them..but how long it will take them to obtain?...no idea..
You can come to Finland on a tourist visa ..valid for three months... and apply when here..if you have the offer of a valid employment contract with a Finnish registered company it will help speed up things.
If you are coming here to form a new Finnish branch of an Indian company then you probably have to return to India and start from there.
First task check the Finnish Embassy in Berlin
http://www.embassiesabroad.com/embassy. ... try=29#947

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:59 pm

srb wrote:Thanks for the info Hank and Peter.

I have got the favourable openion and we have valid residence permit here in Germany for one more year.
I am interested in knowing,
- can we apply/get the residence permit from Finnish embassy here in Germany
OR
- we have to go back to India and apply/get the residence permit from Finnish embassy in India.
OR
- we can come to Finland with this German visa/residence permit and then we can apply/get the residence permit there in Finland.

Please clarrify
Thanks,SRB
Why dont you simply talk to the finnish embassy in berlin? They should know all the answers to your questions! :wink:
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:36 pm

Simple text from http://www.uvi.fi

Where and how to apply for
a work permit

Abroad

Work permit applications should be addressed to the
Finnish diplomatic mission in your home country. If
you are permanently resident elsewhere, the application
must be addressed to the Finnish diplomatic mission
in your country of residence
. The diplomatic mission
grants your residence permit at the same time as it
grants your work permit.

The application should be made on a form approved
for the purpose, which is available from your local Finnish
diplomatic mission.

Please enclose with your application your passport,
two photographs and the favourable employment office
opinion on the use of foreign labour as requested by
your employer. The same document includes a
certificate from your future employer concerning the
job offer.

In Finland

In Finland, applications for a work permit should always
be submitted to the local police. Either the police or
the Directorate of Immigration grants the permit.
The necessary application forms are available from your
local police.
You should enclose your passport and certificate for
employment filled out and signed by your employer.
A ready form for the certificate is available from any
employment office or on the website of the Ministry of
Labour: http://www.mol.fi.
If you are in Finland and applying for a residence permit
and work permit for the first time, the permit will be
granted only in exceptional(*) circumstance.

Botschaft von Finnland
Rauchstrasse 1
10787 Berlin
Deutschland

Sähköposti: [email protected]
Puh. +49 (0)30-50 50 30
Fax: +49 (0)30-50 50 33 33

Also consulates in other cities.

(*) can also be read: is not happening
Cheers, Hank W.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:48 pm

However,....

The EU has the principle of free movement.

If a non EU-citizen has a work permit and a staying permit for Germany, he also has it for Finland.

Let's say the employer is Siemens and Siemens wants to transfer somebody to Finland, that should be possible without too much paperwork.

Right?

If somebody is working in Rotterdam for the 'General ministry of lost emails from the republic of Nigeria', I don't think he can move to Finland.

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:01 pm

Tom and Jerry wrote:However,....

If a non EU-citizen has a work permit and a staying permit for Germany, he also has it for Finland.
I doubt that. A residence permit is completely different from a work permit.
The fact that you have a visa+work permit for germany just means that you can travel amongst the shengen-countries without needing a new visa, but not that you can work for any company in any of the shengen-countries.
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:32 pm

Tom and Jerry wrote:However,....

Let's say the employer is Siemens and Siemens wants to transfer somebody to Finland, that should be possible without too much paperwork.

Right?

If somebody is working in Rotterdam for the 'General ministry of lost emails from the republic of Nigeria', I don't think he can move to Finland.
No, that only applies to EU nations. Non-EU members have to apply for another permit for whatever country they move to.

srb

Post by srb » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:49 pm

Thanks to all for the information.
I got the info from Finnish embassy in Berlin that we can apply for work permit and residence permit from here itself. No need to go back to India.

Regards,
SRB

srb

Post by srb » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:04 pm

I got the work permit and residence permit application forms for me and my wife. And also got the form "Account of the applicant's family life and livelihood". I am not very sure what exactly it is and how to fill it...
Is it required to be filled along my wife's residence permit application?

In this application, particulars were asked about Family member living in Finland. As we ( me and my wife) are applying together for permits and as we dont have any family member living in Finland already, what should we fill here?

And there is section about, family accomodation in Finland. I am getting deputed to Finland and my company provides initial stay in a hotel and mean while, I have to look for apartment. Which means, I dont have info right now about the accomodation. In my case, What shall I fill in this section?

Please suggest us.
Thanks,
SRB

srb

Post by srb » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:41 am

I got the work permit and residence permit application forms for me and my wife. And also got the form "Account of the applicant's family life and livelihood". I am not very sure what exactly it is and how to fill it...
Is it required to be filled along my wife's residence permit application?

In this application, particulars were asked about Family member living in Finland. As we ( me and my wife) are applying together for permits and as we dont have any family member living in Finland already, what should we fill here?

And there is section about, family accomodation in Finland. I am getting deputed to Finland and my company provides initial stay in a hotel and mean while, I have to look for apartment. Which means, I dont have info right now about the accomodation. In this case, What shall I fill in accomodation section?

Please suggest us.
Thanks,
SRB

Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:52 am

On my form, in the "account of applicant's family life and livelihood" I explained where our money comes from - that we had jobs and so on.
I showed proof (pay slips) too.

I didn't have family in Finland until we got married (shortly after coming to Finland), but we explained that whole situation. For you, probably you should just put that you don't have any relations in Finland.

If the company is paying for your accomodation in a hotel until you find a place, just put that - and give the name and address of the hotel, and the name and phone # person at your company who can confirm that they will pay for this.

It sounds like you have a fairly straightforward and legitimate situation, so there's no need to finesse your answers to immigration - just tell all, and give as much proof as you can muster that you are not BSing. The less work they have to do to figure out you're telling the truth, the faster it should go through.

Of course, this is just my sense of things. They took 5 months to give me my permit, and my situation was pretty straightforward too.