All sounds greek to me!

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
daive

Post by daive » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:54 pm

arabella wrote:Sorry to totally derail your question daive! :mrgreen:

Come ooon man, you really to lazy to make it yourself?

Arabella's Authentic-ish Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans
some lemon
some garlic
some paprika
some tahini if you can find it in your fridge

dump in blender. high speed until consistency of baby food.
et voila!
Aaah, the first person who has successfully completed the challenge! :ochesey: I am not too lazy to make hummus, but this is Finland and it is not so easy to find chick peas and especially tahini paste in the local KKK-RAP Market.

OK ... UPDATE ... Took a walk to my local supermarkets and they didn't have any of the essential ingredients, so got in the car (avec hangover still) and went to Myyyyrrrrrmäki, thankfully they had tahini paste and "presoaked" chickpeas, even though searching the store twice found them in the oriental section next to the sweet and sour sauce and wasabi paste! phew, now I will make it for dinner. All that hassle just so I can make my authentic shwarma.

Next challenge is to find proper middle eastern laffa bread and somewhere that sells taramasalata. Not so easy to make as I haven't really found any decent cod's roe here. These are the times I would really appreciate having a jewish delicatesen or new york style deli here in helsinki.

Bagel Mania is a franchise I think, that would be great to have here too.
Enough ranting, time to make the dindins!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Sara

Post by Sara » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:00 pm

Daive, get your a r s e out to Sello at some point. The Citymarket there is so much better than the local!

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:28 pm

This place will DEFINITELY have a few different kinds of garbazo beans /chickpeas and tahini for ya:

VII Voan (Vietnamese Shop)
Hämeentie 3, 00530, Near Hakaniemi Metro Station Helsinki
(09) 701-8210
Timings: Mon-Fri 10-18 hrs & Sat 10-17 hrs

Although, watch out when they first open because the place gets mobbed with people busy cleaning out the vegetable area :D

Also, I've seen tahini in scattered sestos, and of course, the one stop shop, stockmann's 8)

daive

Post by daive » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:53 pm

arabella wrote:This place will DEFINITELY have a few different kinds of garbazo beans /chickpeas and tahini for ya:

VII Voan (Vietnamese Shop)
Hämeentie 3, 00530, Near Hakaniemi Metro Station Helsinki
(09) 701-8210
Timings: Mon-Fri 10-18 hrs & Sat 10-17 hrs

Although, watch out when they first open because the place gets mobbed with people busy cleaning out the vegetable area :D

Also, I've seen tahini in scattered sestos, and of course, the one stop shop, stockmann's 8)
As I mentioned earlier, you can buy hummus ready made in kauppahalli near the harbour.... But I have just made my own batch and it is (if I may so so myself, and I will!) not too bad, maybe I used a little too much garlic, but next time it will be perfect. I am no chef but it does feel kinda good to make my own bagels and hummus from scratch.

A note for Sara, our first baby tomatoes have finally started to ripen thanks to you, we made a nice mozarella, tomato and balsamic mix with them.

Handy tip for those who favour a (healthy) full english breakfast on the weekends... Instead of just frying your mushrooms, first of all marinade them with some basil, baby tomatoes and rosemary and toss them lightly in olive oil, then fry them until golden brown, the skin on the tomatoes should just be starting to split. Enjoy... Yumyum.

PS. Been many times to VII Voan, but admittedly never been looking for those sorts of ingredients. The do have some lovely fresh Thai basil and types of fruit/veggies me never seen before!

Sara

Post by Sara » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:14 pm

glad your toms are edible at last! :D

the mushroom and tomato sounds nice. That would go really nicely in the oven to go with a Sunday lunch 8)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:00 am

So Daive, have you not found to the arabic store on the 3rd floor in Myyrmanni yet? Across Tarjoustalo and next to SOL laundry?

Me remembers no peanut oil, but much varied peppers.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:42 pm

daive wrote: As I mentioned earlier, you can buy hummus ready made in kauppahalli near the harbour.... But I have just made my own batch and it is (if I may so so myself, and I will!) not too bad, maybe I used a little too much garlic, but next time it will be perfect. I am no chef but it does feel kinda good to make my own bagels and hummus from scratch.
I made a couple of experiments of generating hummus. I realized a couple of secrets. Using these tips can help producing devine hummus, food of gods!
First, keep the beans in water for a day (or maybe even more, depends on bean's dryness). Then boil the beans in the same water for about an hour, but don't forget to put some water aside! Then dump the beans in blender with garlic, salt, a bit of tehina (if you hate tehina use the water put aside) and other spicies.
G.S.

Make war with love

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:01 pm

Samppa wrote:
daive wrote: As I mentioned earlier, you can buy hummus ready made in kauppahalli near the harbour.... But I have just made my own batch and it is (if I may so so myself, and I will!) not too bad, maybe I used a little too much garlic, but next time it will be perfect. I am no chef but it does feel kinda good to make my own bagels and hummus from scratch.
I made a couple of experiments of generating hummus. I realized a couple of secrets. Using these tips can help producing devine hummus, food of gods!
First, keep the beans in water for a day (or maybe even more, depends on bean's dryness). Then boil the beans in the same water for about an hour, but don't forget to put some water aside! Then dump the beans in blender with garlic, salt, a bit of tehina (if you hate tehina use the water put aside) and other spicies.

Thanks Samppa! I'm going to try that method using Arabella's recipe. I am a real fan of hummus and it is apparently nowhere to be found in Oulu :cry: Hummus with french fries, on veggie burgers, with nacho chips, mmmmmmm!!!!! :)
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:13 pm

There's a kosher deli next to the synagogue on Malminkatu. Leastways I think it's Malminkatu. Back of the Radisson SAS. Good place for parking, too, BTW, since it's hardish to get at.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

daive

Post by daive » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:08 pm

WLM wrote:There's a kosher deli next to the synagogue on Malminkatu. Leastways I think it's Malminkatu. Back of the Radisson SAS. Good place for parking, too, BTW, since it's hardish to get at.
Yeah, I know the guy who runs the place, his name is Avi, it gives me a good practice when I see him to speak Evrit, don't get that much chance these days!!!
He has some nice stuff there, but quite expensive (the kosher stuff anyway) and not that great selection all the time. The best times to go are just before the holy days and he gets in special stocks of goodies. He does nice chopped liver, although it is so much easier for me to make my own (see chicken livers thread). If any of you like hottish sauces, he does a homemade "Chrain". It is a hot horseradish and beetroot sauce, usually eaten with fish, it is very good stuff. For our Jewish members, it is one of the ONLY places in Helsinki to purchase matzos (unleavened bread), remember it is Passover coming soon, so stock up.
Actually discounting Samppa cos he is not in Finland, are there any other Jews on this board living in Helsinki?

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:34 pm

daive wrote:
WLM wrote:There's a kosher deli next to the synagogue on Malminkatu. Leastways I think it's Malminkatu. Back of the Radisson SAS. Good place for parking, too, BTW, since it's hardish to get at.
Yeah, I know the guy who runs the place, his name is Avi, it gives me a good practice when I see him to speak Evrit, don't get that much chance these days!!!
Is it this curly-haired Avi who runs a kosher shop near the synagogue? The prices in the shop are evil beyond belief!!! :evil:

Anyway, I just had a thought about matzot. If any of you interested, I can send it to you to Finland. I just sent a huge parcel to Finland last week and apparently it was very cheap, so shipping price is not a problem at all.
G.S.

Make war with love

daive

Post by daive » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:09 am

Samppa wrote:
daive wrote:
Is it this curly-haired Avi who runs a kosher shop near the synagogue? The prices in the shop are evil beyond belief!!! :evil:

Anyway, I just had a thought about matzot. If any of you interested, I can send it to you to Finland. I just sent a huge parcel to Finland last week and apparently it was very cheap, so shipping price is not a problem at all.
It is the one and same curly haired Avi.
Thanks for the offer of matzot but I am off to england in two weeks anyway for the weekend, I can pick up some goodies there and bring them back, especially the chocolate coated matzot, they are delicious. Aaaah, some proper gefilte fish too.

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:58 am

You gotta be careful with hummus... It causes Greenhouse effect :oops:
G.S.

Make war with love

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:20 am

Okay. First, I want to know if you can post the recipe for Tahini on here? I want to make my own hummus, buy some fresh pita bread and dip away while watching a good movie!!

Also, wanted to ask if anyone has seen Matzo flour here anywhere??? I have a recipe that calls for it and I can't seem to find it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:47 am

MinnaRaisanen wrote:Okay. First, I want to know if you can post the recipe for Tahini on here? I want to make my own hummus, buy some fresh pita bread and dip away while watching a good movie!!

Also, wanted to ask if anyone has seen Matzo flour here anywhere??? I have a recipe that calls for it and I can't seem to find it.
You can't make your own tahini I guess. Tahini is oil from "sum-sum"'s (God knows how it's called in English) seeds.
G.S.

Make war with love