Looking for work...what drama!!!

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:33 pm

Hello everyone, My name is Scott I'm from Michigan 36 years old, and have been here for a very dramatic 10 months so far, looking for work trying to study. I have a BSc with a focus on counseling and psychology research, worked as a substance abuse therapist, career counselor, job coach, and taught a little in the states. I love it here, want to stay but am having trouble finding work, trying to find something teaching or in health psychology research, etc. I do not speak Finnish yet, ahh the glass wall, working on it...Any suggestions? Just found this site and am eternally grateful for it. thanks in advance...peace, Scott

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:51 pm

Great Scott! :shock: no Finnish = no job... actually they have a constant need of people in your area, but it is always a question of funding. No tenures. What comes to the lingo question ...well, all you need to learn is "ei saa juoda viinaa ja potkia mummoja" and you'll be set as a 'social auntie' right away. Other useful phrases are "hyi hyi" and "onko teillä kotona vapaa kasvatus?" Best time to find a job though is after the MAD wet season, the S.A.D. wet season is on the way.

Glad to hear you enjoy the show. We try our best to please. Welcome to the group :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Scott

Post by Scott » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:30 pm

Hi Hank, Thanks for the tips and the finnish lesson...I just got into a student flat and am looking for work as a cook or anything I can find now to make ends meet, I'm teaching a bit in the fall but that does not pay the bills now. Hate to say it but Kokkola seems like a dying dead end town and I have been thinking to find work in and move to Tampere. Do you think things might be a bit easier there for me or should I stick it out, not too far, here?
Rauha, Scott

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:17 pm

Bigger city = more opportunities.
+
Bigger city = more expensive rent.

...well, depends on the equation.

_Rauhaa_ :D (don't ask me why)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Drama indeed!

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:39 pm

I've been here for 11 months now and had the same problems in finding a job. How I miscalculated the internationality of the commercial and advertising business.
I was so sure that, since it is so English orientated (at least in Holland), it would be no problem whatsoever to find a job in it.
Yeah, right!
After almost five months I found a part-time job (I will leave out the financial details) and because it wasn't close to paying my rent with that I started my own company. Which goes rather well, I must say.
Fortunately I did have some contacts here already, otherwise I wouldn't have pulled it off.

I've been keeping up a weblog on my website about my moving here. It is in Dutch though, so I'm not sure if it's of any use to people who don't master that language. Swedish and German may have a go, though.