AM I CRAZY FOR WANTING TO MOVE TO FINLAND/

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.

Difficulty moving to FINLAND

Extremely
17%
HARD
32%
MEDIUM
29%
EASY
7%
DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!
15%

Total votes: 59

turbodank23

Post by turbodank23 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:24 pm

well its not that easy I still got to pay off car then get a good bit of money together. this summer also i will look for a job and get info on some schools to go to then next winter work alot got get my visa get work permit and get the ball rolling i think a year is plenty of time to do this I am very motivated. Also were you being sarcastic about the child thing?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
-- Ernest Hemingway

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:32 pm

No, not at all. I've worked in countries were they married people when they were fourteen. So, at the age of twenty, that's already six years with children and a house.

You only happened to come to a country where people are not treated as adults when they are under 25.

They may be treated as adults when they are above 25 (provided they are not dependent on KELA, worked for more than 10 month in the past 24 months, donot own their own business and donot receive any financial aid).

sayx

Post by sayx » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:41 pm

turbodank23 you sound like me when I was 20, Swiss Girlfriend from an exchange student program the two of us living in Canada then Switzerland. Braking up after five years. (Your right wombat, I don’t know a single couple that have lasted from a young age either). It’s just ludicrous if you continue to think this way. Yes you know people that are doing it right now in North America. Living together at a young age, one still in high school or starting collage. It’s not as easy here, and well to be honest you’re not Finnish with any education so have fun trying to find a job that is not washing something. Even if you did do some education here your not Finnish!! Only the cold hard truth (Just say no)
Image Serving my 9th year of a life sentence with no chance of early parole

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:35 am

Okay....I hope I don't ruffle anyone's feathers, but here's my two cents worth.

I met my boyfriend about 4 years ago during a summer vacation here. I went home for 9 months and then moved here. I regret the entire thing almost every day. Finland cannot offer me even a fraction of that which my 'home' can, but I'm here now and have planted some roots and it's not that easy to leave anymore :roll:

You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Trust me, you find another love. I gave up so much by coming here and there are some things I will never forgive myself for leaving behind. One very important person in my life died two weeks ago and I couldn't even be there for his funeral, to talk with his parents, to hug them - all I could do was send a stinking card :cry: Babies have been born and people have gone through things that I have missed and I can't get any of that back. It's especially hard being from Canada because it's not like I can just jump on a plane and go back when I am needed....

Think long and hard about this....really.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

just me

Post by just me » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:08 pm

MinnaRaisanen wrote:Okay....I hope I don't ruffle anyone's feathers, but here's my two cents worth.

I met my boyfriend about 4 years ago during a summer vacation here. I went home for 9 months and then moved here. I regret the entire thing almost every day. Finland cannot offer me even a fraction of that which my 'home' can, but I'm here now and have planted some roots and it's not that easy to leave anymore :roll:

You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Trust me, you find another love. I gave up so much by coming here and there are some things I will never forgive myself for leaving behind. One very important person in my life died two weeks ago and I couldn't even be there for his funeral, to talk with his parents, to hug them - all I could do was send a stinking card :cry: Babies have been born and people have gone through things that I have missed and I can't get any of that back. It's especially hard being from Canada because it's not like I can just jump on a plane and go back when I am needed....

Think long and hard about this....really.

Well, I think it not as bad as when my father past away no one tell me because it to far to go home from here ......I got the news after his funeral.....but I understand the reason why they kept silence from me...

Actually I do´t felt regret that I came here.....I earned more here then in my own country and I have two very,very good finnish friends here that I don´t think I want to leave them.... :lol: :wink: So...it´s actually depends on yourself wherther you like it here or not.....

just me

Re: AM I CRAZY FOR WANTING TO MOVE TO FINLAND/

Post by just me » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:16 pm

pierrot wrote:
turbodank23 wrote:(...) But she does not think it is good for me to move in while she is highschool does anyone agree? (...) I am young 20 and so is she, she is 18 CRAZY? YOU TELL ME ????????? =)
I hate to be the guy that bursts the bubble, but what exactly do you want to live from? Especially while she is at highschool, she has no spare money at all to help you, and i doubt her parents will be delighted to finance their daughter´s boyfriend.
I think your main reason to move to finland is because you miss her, not because you want to live with her forever (you are both very young, and you met under special circumstances - at school, no stress about work, money or everyday life-. How many times did you meet her in Finland already (and i dont mean just for a week or two, i mean for a longer period like one or two months during holidays)? Its important to meet someone you love in their surroundings for a longer time. Often people tend to be different abroad or away from their family/friends as they are at home, as they dont have the social pressure abd control they feel they have at home. This often creates impressions on others which dont reflect reality but merely an image one wants to give of himself.

My advice would be to stay where you are for now and first manage to know each other better (one year is nothing). In the meanwhile, you can take more finnish-lessons and find out what you could do in finland to make some money. Look what jobs would be interesting for you and find a job according to that.
Dont just go there, especially not when she said she is not 100% behind you if you move there.

I agreed with Pierrot..........Think carefully...come here because of want to be with her and you don´t have any job here is not a good idea......

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:28 pm

just me wrote: Well, I think it not as bad as when my father past away no one tell me because it to far to go home from here ......I got the news after his funeral.....but I understand the reason why they kept silence from me...

I would be MASSIVELY p!ssed if they would keep such things silent from me. And I mean MASSIVELY.
It doesn't matter how far away I am. If there's something going on in my family or in the circle of my close friends in Holland I definately would want to know about it.

Lawrence Perry

Post by Lawrence Perry » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:49 pm

This may be covered in other threads but I have never seen it. What were the factors that induced you to move to Finland with BF, GF, spouse, etc. rather than living in your home country or picking a 3rd country that would be suitable for both of you? Any chances to live in each other's country for a time? There are times when you must be able to return to native home for family emergencies or celebrations. How many couples on this BB make allowances for that?

If this is all old- please point me to the correct thread.

LP

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:09 pm