Lox, bagel and cream cheese

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
tuulen

Post by tuulen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:07 pm

Finland has lox (salmon) (lohi), and Finland has cream cheese (kermajuusto), but why does Finland not have good, boiled bagels?

Boiled bagels are easy to make, and lox, bagel and cream cheese is a very tasty combination, good to eat.

Mazel tov!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sammy

Re: Lox, bagel and cream cheese

Post by sammy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:25 pm

Simple: for more or less the same reason why "Finland" does not have dry roasted crickets. They're just not a tradition over here. Salmon tastes best, IMO, with rye bread. (Salt-cured raw salmon, that is.)

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:35 pm

sammy wrote:...Salmon tastes best, IMO, with rye bread. (Salt-cured raw salmon, that is.)
OK, how about rye bagels, bagels made of rye grain?

Finnish made rye bagels could be the first rye bagels ever made anywhere in the whole world.

Lox, rye bagel and cream cheese, Mmm!

Mazel tov!

sammy

Post by sammy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:44 pm

tuulen wrote:
sammy wrote:...Salmon tastes best, IMO, with rye bread. (Salt-cured raw salmon, that is.)
OK, how about rye bagels, bagels made of rye grain?
Could be quite ok, too, but not really the same at all...

EP

Post by EP » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Looks like Arnolds makes also rye bagels: http://www.arnolds.fi/bagelit

Mook

Post by Mook » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:15 pm

tuulen wrote:but why does Finland not have good, boiled bagels?
I guess you're just looking in the wrong place(s). Stockman certainly has bagels.
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:56 am

Welcome to the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City, USA.

http://www.nyrealestatelawblog.com/Mast ... eBagel.pdf

Now, that is a bagel!

jmakinen

Post by jmakinen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:03 am

I guess you're just looking in the wrong place(s). Stockman certainly has bagels.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That round thing with a hole at a RIDICULOUS price at Stockmann is NOT a bagel!!!! I have even twice got refunds! Anyone that thinks it is a bagel has NEVER had a real one!

jmakinen

Post by jmakinen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:06 am

Finnish made rye bagels could be the first rye bagels ever made anywhere in the whole world.
Rye bagels quite common in US - even at Brueggers if I recall. And pumpernickel VERY common.

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:51 am

jmakinen wrote:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That round thing with a hole at a RIDICULOUS price at Stockmann is NOT a bagel!!!! I have even twice got refunds! Anyone that thinks it is a bagel has NEVER had a real one!
No real American bagels in Helsinki - another reason to complain for you, jtammilehto et al - you should all get together as Bagel Legion and bake your own :lol:

jmakinen

Post by jmakinen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:51 am

What complaining? This is a forum where we try to find answers, solutions etc. D you really think it isn't possible that someone will finally come up with Eastern European bagels (they are NOT American!!) and we'll all find out? Do you want people to throw money and expectation away on Stockmann's so-called bagels?

If you don't care about it - just don't bother reading!!

JTammilehto lost his password and email address access so I'm taking his place. What's it to you?*** Why do you come on this forum and try to kick people off in your own way. JT and myself have added considerable content and info (many answers to many) - if to be judged by many interesting reply posts, thank yous etc.

If others do not want this content then just write in and you won't have to bother reading more.

-------------------------------

You have told us you are a "certified git"

Git: Git is a relatively mild slang term used in British English to denote a silly, incompetent, stupid, annoying, or childish person. It is usually an insult, more severe than '' but less severe than a true obscenity like w4#73r or @r$3gh013.''

I think there are many here in this forum who use it to learn and develop - those are not the aims of gits. I've read a number of your posts and you seem intent on disparaging anyone and everyone that is trying to move forward in any way. Of course, this 'function' has a place on a forum - as a devil's advocate etc. - but thank goodness the world also has more constructive and happier people.

BTW - anyone want to contribute any REAL bagel recipes? Maybe some commercial baker in Finland will get to know about them :D
Last edited by jmakinen on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:07 am

Hey, no offence J - just remembered that "someone else" had the same bagelmania some time ago. Note -> :lol:

The suggestion of why not make your own was a sincere one... if the "genuine ones" are so easy to make, why should you expect to find them in shops in Finland? Stress on the should there. The question the OP posted was, after all, why we do not have (Eastern European) bagels in our culinary tradition, wasn't it.

jmakinen

Post by jmakinen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:15 am

The suggestion of why not make your own was a sincere one... if the "genuine ones" are so easy to make, why should you expect to find them in shops in Finland?
Good god - they are NOT easy to make - look up some bagel recipes and you can see for yourself. It would be great to buy some REAL bagels sometimes instead of going thru that process all the time.

Please get out of your supi-suomalainen mode.

I am now a certified passport-holding Finn - when I came to Finland my mother had to send oregano from NY, I had to bring back olive oil from Greece in suitcases - I was thrown out of the license office in Helsinki when I wanted to import Durum Pasta - they said they had all the crappy bread wheat in Pohjanmaa for pasta. Valintatalo staff broke into loud laughter when I asked for mussels. I had to buy fresh champignons in Stockholm. I could go on for a thousand items which you now think even 'Finnish'

Give the rest of the world a break please. (and give Finns a break too - they would almost surely like REAL bagels)

ajl

Post by ajl » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:27 am

tuulen wrote:why does Finland not have good, boiled bagels?
does that mean you have come to visit and can't find any? Or is this just idle conversation?
moving is in the bad <-> crazy continuum

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:50 am

Fair enough, sorry if my original answer to the "why" question by tuulen was somehow unsatisfactory. As for my multiple indentities joke - mea culpa. Peace.