Suomi information for immigrants

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
kalmisto

Re: Suomi information for immigrants

Post by kalmisto » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Cathy Duncan wrote:I'm willing to move to Finland but I have heard that after one year of living in Finland, the citizens of this country start speaking with you in Finnish and if you cannot answer them in their own language, it's a matter of embarrassment for you. It that true? I am just scared of it.
No, it is not true. The fact is that if you speak understandable but accented or broken Finnish to a Finn,the Finn is very likely to switch into English. All expats living in Finland are not so happy about this because the Finns´unwillingness to speak Finnish to foreigners makes it difficult for expats to practice their Finnish skills.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Cathy Duncan

Post by Cathy Duncan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:41 pm

kalmisto wrote:
Cathy Duncan wrote:I'm willing to move to Finland but I have heard that after one year of living in Finland, the citizens of this country start speaking with you in Finnish and if you cannot answer them in their own language, it's a matter of embarrassment for you. It that true? I am just scared of it.
No, it is not true. The fact is that if you speak understandable but accented or broken Finnish to a Finn,the Finn is very likely to switch into English. All expats living in Finland are not so happy about this because the Finns´unwillingness to speak Finnish to foreigners makes it difficult for expats to practice their Finnish skills.
Thanks for clearing my doubts dude. I was really in a state of flux and was unable to make a decision.
Ask Questions and Live Help at http://www.maybenow.com

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Cathy Duncan wrote: I have heard that after one year of living in Finland, the citizens of this country start speaking with you
In some parts of the country it might take longer, if ever.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Cathy Duncan

Post by Cathy Duncan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:35 pm

Pursuivant wrote:
Cathy Duncan wrote: I have heard that after one year of living in Finland, the citizens of this country start speaking with you
In some parts of the country it might take longer, if ever.
Ahan! What actually is the reason for that in your opinion?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Cathy Duncan wrote:What actually is the reason for that in your opinion?
They don't. Speak that is.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Cathy Duncan

Post by Cathy Duncan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:57 am

Pursuivant wrote:
Cathy Duncan wrote:What actually is the reason for that in your opinion?
They don't. Speak that is.
Thanks to you and Kalmisto. I really appreciate your efforts and would love to learn finnish. I know few words like soco nimi etc in Finnish. It sounds pretty good.

jmatthan

Post by jmatthan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:44 am

Hi,

Our best-seller book published in 1994 "Handbook For Survival in Finland" is available for download at:

http://www.lulu.com/product/file-download/handbook-for-survival-in-finland/14263654?productTrackingContext=author_spotlight_91807565_

Although old, it has much which is still relevant today. Especially important are the chapters that Finnish is not a difficult language and why not to die in Finland! :-)

The newer version is under preparation and should be released in 2012.

Regards

Annikki and Jacob

Cathy Duncan

Post by Cathy Duncan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:43 am

jmatthan wrote:Hi,

Our best-seller book published in 1994 "Handbook For Survival in Finland" is available for download at:

http://www.lulu.com/product/file-downlo ... t_91807565_

Although old, it has much which is still relevant today. Especially important are the chapters that Finnish is not a difficult language and why not to die in Finland! :-)

Regards

Annikki and Jacob
Thank you so much for this great gift (I must say). I'd surely download and give it a read to clear my ideas and concepts.

jmatthan

Post by jmatthan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:15 am

Would you be surprised to know that your present vocabulary of Finnish is well over 5000 words!

In our book "Handbook For Survival in Finland", we use the BBC Workbook on the Finnish Langauge (which existed in 1992) to show you how this is a reality.

And linguists say that with a 5000 word strength you are well on the way to speaking a language!

But do not reveal this secret to a Finn!!!

Jacob

sbatrawi19

Post by sbatrawi19 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:39 pm

hi my name is Sami am Palestinian , my wife is Lithuanian and we are married 24 years but i didnt got the EU passport , can i move to Finland and live even if my wife will not move with me ? what i need to do if i want to move?

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 pm

jmatthan wrote:Hi,

http://www.lulu.com/product/file-downlo ... t_91807565_

Regards

Annikki and Jacob
Thanks for the link! :) Seems to be very interesting. Nice :)
Last edited by Dolly on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Ah, freshfood24, that lovely piece of !"#¤% text made my day! Thanks!

ritan7471

Post by ritan7471 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:12 am

It depends who you talk to. My inlaws speak only Finnish with me but they don't speak English. Apparently I don't have a typical American accent, so most Finnish people don't immediately start speaking English with me until I run out of vocabulary and ask.

I've found most people very helpful and no one has refused to speak English with me or acted like I'm a deadbeat for not being fluent in the language.

I've never lived in Finland yet, but am planning to move shortly.

Sial

Post by Sial » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Nice