Employment in Helsinki

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
duncanl

Employment in Helsinki

Post by duncanl » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:54 pm

Hi everyone,was very pleased to find this site! I am 28 and moving to Finland early June with my Finnish girlfriend and would appreciate any advice on looking for employment in Helsinki. I am enrolling in the summer University to try and learn a little Finnish but would like to find some paid employment as well- I have an MSc in Information Systems and a years Industry experience (5 years other work experience)- I am not that bothered about finding a 'proper' job right away as we are only moving for the summer initially to see how it goes, is there much work around in the way of proofreading translations or perhaps teaching technical English? I have had a brief scan on the net but would appreciate it if anyone knows any good links to companies or info sites? Many Thanks
Duncan

Employment in Helsinki

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:07 pm

Hi Duncan,
Welcome to .!

There's a very extential how-to guide in the job-section, see http://www...com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=684.

Further more there's the links section, where you find a list of job-sites that display vacant functions.

It's difficult to say what's going to happen in the future, but as you probably well know the job market in Finland -and throughout Europe- isn't really inviting.

Check the given links and if you have additional questions, feel free to get back here.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:14 pm

It sort of depends on your field of expertese. It seems job ads run in cycles - all of a sudden some field is sought for and then there comes another 'magic word'.

There is quite a bit of jobs open, but as usual, they require 10 years work experience, a PhD and age under 25 ... :wink:

http://www.mol.fi/Tyovoimapalvelut/Paikat/2/5/1/
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

duncanl

Post by duncanl » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:25 pm

The links are useful, thanks- I will investiagte for a week or two- am sure I will be back with more question soon!
Duncan