Finding a Job in Finland - version 2

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Upphew

Re: How is the opprtnity in Graphics Design/DTP field??

Post by Upphew » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:46 am

asad wrote:Hello all,
I am thinking to go in Finland as a MBA student in a tuition based study in early of 2011. Its a professional course and class only in weekend; full time working possibility. I have been working in Graphics design field for than 9 years with Danish company in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

As i said I am going in a tuition based MBA programme where 9500 euro have to pay in three installment in two years, will it be worthy to go there by paying tuition fees? I am planning to to go there on a tuition based programme than switch to tuition free study. is it possible? and another thing is, is there in Helsinki any college or university where I can get admission on Graphics or get a short course?
MBAs are usually paid by employer, or at least getting one gives a raise that makes it worthwhile, and are aimed to people that are already working (thus the weekend classes). As MBA isn't recognized as a degree in Finnish education system, there aren't any tuition free studies toward that (as far as I know).
http://www.minedu.fi/OPM/Koulutus/aikui ... t/?lang=en
MBA falls to "Continuing professional education"

http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Re: How is the opprtnity in Graphics Design/DTP field??

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

museoflight

Re: Finding a Job in Finland - version 2

Post by museoflight » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:03 am

I'd be interested in learning more about acquiring jobs in the arts fields in Finland (I'm a musician, and hope to study in Finland) if anyone has that kind of information! :)
"Cause it costs to be alive, my friend; in this life that someone merely gave to you." - Kamelot, "The Human Stain"

martinmartinez

Post by martinmartinez » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:17 am

There is this place here (Helsinki) called the Sibelius academy for musicians (and maybe other arts to) I dunno, but its very difficult to get into - three people i know and the most talented didn't get in there, the other two one was a Finn and now has moved to find work and the other is a foreigner. There are lots of 'amateur' musicians here in the city, some are busking, some sing in kareoke, some talk more than they can play or sing. What sort of thing do you do? Please, don't come if you've got an accordian - we have enough of those in europe already - just because it has lots of buttons doesn't mean we are anymore impressed....

FinnishGirl88

Post by FinnishGirl88 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:59 am

I have been meaning to come back & post a note here since I arrived in Helsinki at the beginning of the summer (and what a beautiful summer it has been for all of you who are considering the move!).

I am from Australia & moved out here due to my Finnish Girlfriend whom I met in Indonesia while surfing & drinking some . Before moving out here I was very dis-heartened about the move due to this forum! - BE POSITIVE GUYS...

I have been working in & around advertising / marketing for quite some time now but am only 29yrs old. I came here being told it would be impossible to find a job of equal standards to the contracts I have held in Sydney, London & elsewhere around the world - But once again - WRONG! In under a week I found a job with an agency whom I am now working as a consultant at a much higher level than I would be in an established country such as OZ or UK... I am only going to stay for a year or so as quite frankly the summer is great but 8 or so months a year it is cold & dark (and I mean that - it's already getting cold/dark but by December & January it may get as cold as -25c...).

The end of the day it takes nothing to just give it a go... What do you have to loose. Come over, check it out, enrol immediatley at Helsinki Summer University to learn finnish & get your self out there. Don't do what everybody else says to do in this forum! Do something different, contact employers directly and tell them you have something to offer from an international perspective!!!!

I am not going to give a tutorial on it & don't bother to ask me where I am working. The guys in this forum are 'trying to help' and I think that is great BUT - You guys might feel you know the Finns but everybody is different and every company is different so stop giving these guys thinking about coming a bad vibe about it...

So give it a go, what do you have to loose!!!! The worst thing that can happen is you come and don't find a job - so what, go to London (3 hour flight & about 70€ one way) and work... and if you have a girlfriend commute.

One last thing though - whatever they do say about the wages and taxes here is true - They Suck!!! Depends what you do but you willl most probably not get what you are paid back home, ESPECIALLY if you are a contractor in IT, Digital Marketing etc...

SO GOOD LUCK TO THOSE OF YOU THINKING OF COMING - Wait til the beginning of the summer so you see Finland at it's best... Be prepared for a different culture & as I said - What is the worst thing that could happen??? If you dont like it then at least you tried!!!!

So see you all for now & Good Luck...

Regards

Mike (from Australia) [/b]
I completely agree with what you have said here Mike (although it is almost 5 years ago haha).

I just came across this forum by chance and have sat here reading it for the best part of 45 minutes... I would just like to say that although it may be tough to get a job in Finand due to many different reasons, the main one being the language barrier, it is important to remember that this is also very much the case when foreigners apply for jobs in the UK, USA and many other countries. It all comes down to some culture shock and having to push yourself out of your comfort zones.
I think it comes across as a great article for advice on things to do and not to do but it carries a somewhat negative and 'give up' type of attitude to it. Maybe this has been enhanced by bad experiences you have come across and maybe not but I feel a somewhat more un-biased attitude to aspects of the Finnish life and culture would be welcome. To say that all finnish people are a certain way is definitely tarring everyone with the same brush and painting a warped idea of us all.

I was born in Finland and lived there until I was 10 years old when my family emigrated to England. I have lived here for the best part of 13 years and currently work in the UK. I want to, at some point in the future, move back to Finland and will be looking to apply for jobs. Although Finnish is my mother tongue, I do not speak it regularly and am very rusty with it, I am actually fluent in English and use it as my main lqanguage. I am also studying French and I have learnt some Russian with a view to learn Swedish. I am not at all worried about finding job opportunities as I believe that the more effort you go to to learn the Finnish language rather than being very English or American about it (by this I mean that it is considered ignorant/lazy sometimes to use English as your only means of communicating because others will adapt). Make the effort to go to classes and learn the language and culture. This will make everything much easier and more fun. It is about respecting the country you are inhibiting rather than assuming that it is there for you to enjoy as you wish. English people (and I agree by many merits too) have a problem with people who move to England and do not make the initial effort to adjust to the culture/language.

Other than the negative side note to the guide, it is inforative and a useful read... Just make it a bit more of an inspiring read rather than a one sided slating of everything to do with job hunting and how foreigners get sidelined for jobs due to the language.... it would be like that in any other country except people who speak English automatically assume this makes them head and shoulders above the rest. Finnish people are very capable of speaking English AND Finnish which is why they will be first in line at times but not at others... Two languages are obviously a better advantage than just the one.

Happy job hunting everyone and take the guide with a pinch of salt and a wide view on all that is involved in living and working in Finland :D

Regards,

Tina

PEMM

Post by PEMM » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:28 pm

There are certain things people have to be aware when searching for jobs. Right now there is over 80 000 open vacancies in this country, while there is some 250 000 people searching for jobs. This equation seems ridiculous, why is it like this?

It is, because 70% of people have higher degree and they only search jobs that are on their field, and are usually not ready to move to parts of the country that have jobs. I know people who have been unemployed for years because of this. Open vacancies are also usually on fields that are not seen as honorable jobs. I myself got my job after two months of searching without real experiense on that field and also offered another.

If you have some vocational training you generally have better chances to get job, as there is more free vacancies for them and they generally dont reguire as much experiense.

People who are ready to work get to work. If you check mol.fi you notice top four fields with open vacancies are:

1. Services (cleaning, serving food, cooks etc.)
2. Commercial (phone marketing, merchandice, franchise)
3. Public Sector (nursing, social work, teaching)
4. Consturction work

Amount of open vacancies for engineers etc. is low because there are so much larger supply of them than demand. Thats why large part of people who have higher education work in field that has nothing to do with their degree.

gabao141

Post by gabao141 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:21 pm

I'm a portuguese nursing student.
We're suffering a huge economic crisis and I'm thinking when I finish my course try to find a job in Finland.

I'd like to talk with someone to know more things about the Finland, employment, etc
Email - [email protected]

bonjurkes

Post by bonjurkes » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks for explanatory article, i would like to ask something. Which sites can foreign people check for job offers at Finland, especially at Internet sector, web development. So far i only know Monster, but not sure if there is any others or which one is most popular

MikeMK

Post by MikeMK » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:29 pm

That is pretty good!
Useful links in Helsinki
http://www.hs.fi
http://www.36524.fi
http://www.huuto.net
http://www.oikotie.fi
http://www.citydeal.fi

wkc5657

Post by wkc5657 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:00 am

Fantastic writings. Both exciting and sometimes demoralising.

I'm a recent accounting graduate (degree and ACCA) from Malaysia and now contemplating to work in Finland.

I can speak and write fluently in both Chinese and English.

How are the prospects for professional accounting jobs for entrants.

On a side note, I estimate to only have enough saving to last me around 6 months living in Finland without a job. Do you think I will make it? :roll:

Thanks!

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:55 am

You realise this is Finland and they speak mainly Finnish (and Swedish)?
Bad, unless you start your own business. And that might not be profitable until you're also fluent in Finnish.
Do you think I will make it?
No.
Actually I think you don't even have a chance to start.
As a non EU citizen you need a residence permit and for that you need a job (or be married to a Finn).

wkc5657

Post by wkc5657 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:34 pm

rinso wrote:
You realise this is Finland and they speak mainly Finnish (and Swedish)?
Bad, unless you start your own business. And that might not be profitable until you're also fluent in Finnish.
Do you think I will make it?
No.
Actually I think you don't even have a chance to start.
As a non EU citizen you need a residence permit and for that you need a job (or be married to a Finn).
Looks like I'm dreaming too much...

The unemployment situation in Finland is that bad? What's the latest official unemployment rate?

Thanks for the reality!

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:52 am

What's the latest official unemployment rate?
Iirc: Finns < 10%
Foreigners > 20%

Dibby

Post by Dibby » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:24 pm

based on my limited experience, a recommendation from a Fin is very very helpful (mm.. make sure he/she holds certain important position). My boyfriend is from EU, and every time he changes place for work, the new *boss* called his old 'boss' to ask what kind of person he is and how he works. Thank God so far he only get great opinions. He started in Finland by doing some exchange program, then he got written recommendation from a very famous Fin in his field, then he sent many job applications using the recommendation and got job offer at 2 places.

In my case, it was harder although i get a good recommendation.. so I applied in smaller city, and they gave me one month trial, because my Finnish was very poor ( I had stayed only for 7months in Finland and never learnt Finnish before). But they prolong me because they see that I make a big improvement (passing language test after 3 months working and taking exam in Finnish to get my degree admitted after staying in Finland for 1,5years).

Just make sure to keep open mind.. you will meet a LOT of people who believe in stereotypes ( I am an Asian women and many people at the beginning don't take me seriously at work..thinking that I am either looking for Finnish husbands or trying to get Finnish citizenship) and perhaps you would have to prove over and over again your quality to certain people at work ( I was graduated in South East Asia so many people don't know the level of education there and thinking that I am very stupid).. but then you will also meet great and nice people who really really appreciate your effort at work and especially your effort in learning Finnish. Now people are taking me pretty seriously at work.. and one of the 'boss' actually said there are several things I did better than a Finnish employee

So I kinda concluded that in every country you would meet nice people and unkind ones, ones who believe in stereotypes and ones who don't, ones that will trash you in forum like this and ones who would give help.

And if you cannot get the job you want ( I get this a lot, despite having job experiences for more than a year now), it is always very easy and convenient of foreigners to blame on those people being racist or unfriendly to foreigners.. but that won't help you very far.. Change your strategy, make a network, get as many informations as possible.. and try again. Doing the same thing over and over again with the exact same approaches but expect different results are simply stupid...

I don't know if this help.. but this is my experience. for me it is hard.. but not impossible.. :D hope this helps

5edna

Post by 5edna » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 pm

Hi! :)
... just curious ... What are the chances of getting a job as a biophysicist (holding an EU Master's degree) in Finland?
I'm also considering continuing my education to the Phd level.
Kiitos!

Dick Valentine

Post by Dick Valentine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:53 am

5edna wrote:Hi! :)
... just curious ... What are the chances of getting a job as a biophysicist (holding an EU Master's degree) in Finland?
I'm also considering continuing my education to the Phd level.
Kiitos!
They way the job market has been here for as long as i can remember... ISS, SOL, and L&T are hiring toilet cleaners to work midnights on-call, part-time, at Helsinki Railway Station.