Residency Permit????

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Leejay79

Residency Permit????

Post by Leejay79 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:39 am

Hi Guys,
I'm an Australian and recently got back from Aland Islands in Finland...
I used up at least 84 days for my visa free non EU tourist period which leaves me with only 6 days to have if i return in the 6 month period.
I want to return to Finland because my partner/boyfriend is there, but also to study and find work and eventually live there as well.
Got told i need to apply for a residence permit "other grounds". My plan is to return and submit an application to learn swedish next year so i can find work but also so i can continue my studies. Want to know as much information as i can.
Got told if i go back now i have to submit my application for residency before those 6 days are up, I must remain in Finland till a decision is made??? Please!!! any information or imput would be most helpful. How long at most do these applications usually take? i heard up to 12 months???? But seriously!!! i would think 1-3 months most??? Any help would be much appreciated..
Thanks,
warm regards from Oz.......Lee :?

Residency Permit????

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: Residency Permit????

Post by onkko » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:03 am

Leejay79 wrote:My plan is to return and submit an application to learn swedish next year so i can find work but also so i can continue my studies.
Go sweden instead? Knowing swedish isnt really helping you in finland where 99,9% speak finnish. Or do you plan to stay in ahvenanmaa?
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:17 am

That doesn't actually help with the 90-day rule, does it?
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Leejay79

Post by Leejay79 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:19 am

Hi Onkko,
In Aland Islands which is part of Finland is where i am going to be....the main language there is swedish, so i intend on applying to the local community language centre there called Medis to study the language.
Cheers :)

Leejay79

Post by Leejay79 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:21 am

Hi Alden G,
Not really concerned with the 90 day rule....just stating i have 6 days left of it. If i go now i have been told i get those 6 days but have to put my application in for Permanent Residency on "other grounds" in during those 6 days and i can stay while the application gets processed :) i heard it can take up to 12 months sometimes..and that i cant go home whilst they make a decision:)

onkko

Post by onkko » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:40 am

Leejay79 wrote:Hi Onkko,
In Aland Islands which is part of Finland is where i am going to be....the main language there is swedish, so i intend on applying to the local community language centre there called Medis to study the language.
Cheers :)
Then stop talking about finland. Ahvenanmaa is hardly part of finland and if i could decide they would be either independent or under finnish rule.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Leejay79

Post by Leejay79 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:58 am

As far as i know its based under finnish rule...thanks

Sial

Post by Sial » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:54 am

you mentioned that you are intended to apply for residence permit on ''other grounds'' . just specify on what grounds are you intended to apply for permit. sorry, my bad, I am unable to get your this point. There are different rules for residence permits on different basis (family, study, employment etc etc) and as far as i know, if you apply for residence permit for study, that rule will not apply on you that you can stay legally till decision. It is for family ties.

My cousin was accepted in University of Helsinki for masters degree, but at the same time, he was also accepted in few more universities in different european countries and he became confused as the degree in which he was accepted in Helsinki was not very good (according to him) but that university was very good rated and the degrees in which he was accepted in other countries were good for him but those universities were not very popular. So he talked to embassy that he want to visit finland (visit visa) and is intended to learn more and check out the university and then he will apply for permit from finland. And embassy replied that he can apply for visit visa and go to finland but he must come back before the expiry of his allowed time period (3 months) even if he apply for permit from finland, because as a general rule, applicants on the base of family ties are allowed to stay legally till the decision of their permit. Applicant of student residence permit should wait abroad.

And regarding the processing time of permit, if you apply on the basis of family ties, processing times are long usually but student permits get processed fast. (my cousin finally made his mind for university of helsinki and applied from outsite, embassy said it will take about 8 weeks, but after 3 weeks he received call to collect his permit.)

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:00 am

You are right Leejay79 that Finnish law is the one that applies, this is just Onkko's insecurities about the Swedish speaking population of FInland (and its associated territory Åland) shining through. Can't help with the residence permit questions you have, sorry, but just wanted to give you a general thumbs up. Åland people are great people, I married one :)

For the future, however, it is wise for you to know that the density of Swedish language in Åland is unique, you will not find that in other parts of Finland (except some tiny villages in Österbotten), you´re more likely to encounter people like Onkko, who would happily see anyone speaking Swedish disappear (I guess it´s question of small penis and low self-esteem or something, otherwise who cares what language people speak). If you plan to stay anywhere else in Finland than in Åland, you will do well to learn as much Finnish as possible, otherwise you most likely will do like many Ålanders, move to Sweden.

send me a pm if you want, and good luck.

Leejay79

Post by Leejay79 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:28 am

Hi Interleukin,
Thankyou for your support :thumbsup:
Yes i realised that Aland is unique in that its main language spoken is swedish...and i agree with you, Alanders are great people :) My partner is one as well.
If you do hear any info for me on the grapevine let me know. Its a cloud that has been hanging over my head....wondering what im going to do.
Yes, would love to drop u a pm..
cheers.....Lee :D

Leejay79

Post by Leejay79 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:35 am

Hi Sial,
Thankyou for all your imput :D
I will take all this into consideration.....just want to hear other peoples experiences and how long the process has taken.
There are more than one reason why i want the permit, not just study. I want to work there and have a life with my partner.
Any other great information you think helpful will be much appreciated
Cheers.....Lee :D

Sial

Post by Sial » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:19 am

@ Leejay79

Now I understand alot of your situation. I think best option for you will be get residence permit on the base of family ties. Just marry your partner and apply for residence permit on the base of spouse of finnish citizen. This will solve all your questions and fulfill everything you want. You want to live in finland (Aland) and

- Want to study
- Do work

If you get residence permit for study, you will not be allowed to work freely and for sure you will not be able to do a full time job. You will be only allowed to do part time work (25 hours a week) and full time only when there will be holidays. during classes days, you will be allowed 25 hours per week. and to get student residence permit, first you have to be selected in course and then follow the procedure including showing money in your bank as well as health insurance.

If you get residence permit for work, you will have to go through a long process of selection (as finnish government takes many things in account, economics of country, labour market needs etc etc) and generally immigration dont issue residence permit for employment as long as they realize that there are many citizens are present who are qualified same way as applicant. Like if an engineer is applying, then they see that if that kind of engineers are available in country or not. so, YOU NEED TO be something special to qualify for that.

And for both of those option, as a general rule, you will be required to wait abroad for the decision which will be for sure is not suitbale for you. So if you marry your parnter, You will be allowed to apply from within finland, You will be allowed to stay legally till you get decision, And after getting permit, you will be free to work and study whatever way you like. No restrictions, no documentations and no tensions at all. As soon as you come , as beneficial for your. It will help you for your language improvements and overall.

PS: As Aland is not very crowded, processing of your permit will be fast. It wont take a long time.

Leejay79

Post by Leejay79 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:26 am

Hi Sial,
Thanks again for your knowledable imput :) All this information is quite useful :thumbsup:
Thanks very much
cheers........Lee

Sial

Post by Sial » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:32 am

@ Lee

Anytime :)

Leejay79

Post by Leejay79 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi guys,
I have so far had some reallyt helpful posts from some lovely people.Please any ex pats that have gone through the same process? any info would be most helpful:)
cheers from oz
Lee :D