emigration

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Laura

emigration

Post by Laura » Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:16 pm

Hi! I am from Romania. I am an economist and I work in public administration. Have I any chance to find something to work in Finalnd? Can anyone help me on this problem?

emigration

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Donald

Post by Donald » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:46 pm

Laura,

What are your credentials? Do you have a doctorate or a masters in Economics? What languages do you speak and at what levels? Depends.... is my answer. Keep in mind this is a tough job market to crack but for the desperately needed in some industries and not for the innovative....

neil

Post by neil » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:08 pm

Hi Laura,

This thread has some great points:

http://www...com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=365

Browsing the archive or using the 'search' facility (above) will probably find you a lot of useful information that will help you tremendously.
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Laura

Post by Laura » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:42 pm

[quote="Donald"]Laura,

What are your credentials? Do you have a doctorate or a masters in Economics? What languages do you speak and at what levels? Depends.... is my answer. Keep in mind this is a tough job market to crack but for the desperately needed in some industries and not for the innovative....[/quote]

I don't have a doctorate; my husband has a master in silviculture and he is candidate for a doctor' degree. We, both, know and speak English at high level. Could you help me after these information? Do you need any other information? Thanks a lot!
Laura

Laura

Post by Laura » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:43 pm

[quote="Donald"]Laura,

What are your credentials? Do you have a doctorate or a masters in Economics? What languages do you speak and at what levels? Depends.... is my answer. Keep in mind this is a tough job market to crack but for the desperately needed in some industries and not for the innovative....[/quote]

I don't have a doctorate; my husband has a master in silviculture and he is candidate for a doctor' degree. We, both, know and speak English at high level. Could you help me after these information? Do you need any other information? Thanks a lot!
Laura

Sara

Post by Sara » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:43 am

Is your husband finnish? Otherwise it might be hard for you to get a work/residence permit. They often require proof that you can support yourself in means of a large amount of money in a bank account here.

Jobs are harder to get at the moment, it takes time and its easier to get yourself a job once your here.

Its hard but not impossible.

Its harder when you dont speak Finnish and generally other people sell themselves from the fact they have Native English as a mother tongue.

Riko

Post by Riko » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:52 am

I haven't seen a stated amount of money, only that you can support yourself. Any idea how much is required?
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strangely, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:20 am

Riko wrote:I haven't seen a stated amount of money, only that you can support yourself. Any idea how much is required?
With regards to aspect of non EU citizens obtaining a residents permit I cannot recall a specific sum that = able to support ones self.
When Hank recovers from his night out on the tiles after the Stones concert :roll: he can probably give more info!
I have seen a figure quoted when it comes being able to open/register a business in Finland but that is nothing to do with basic residents permit.
The Key factors tha help here are:
Finnish wife/husband.
Contract of employment in Finland.
Employer who says they will employ you.
Someone who speaks Finnish and can help with the Red Tape.
THe USA embassy here in Finland appears to have other priorities than giving advice on this subject.
I think most of our USA members both know more from experience and are more willing to help.
Phil is awake ..so if he is not sun bathing somewhere.. he may read this and advise you.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:31 pm

It is last I checked 50 euros per day or something like that. I'd go with what they require for students to be deposited on a bank account, was it now 5 or 8 K euros. Too tired to look it up. I have put up the links so many times so if someone is so lazy not to look them up themselves, they're too lazy to leave home anyhow. :D <=that was supposed to be a joke.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:46 pm

it's 5,000 Euros. Or was when I came. Actually when I came I had to prove I had 5,000 US dollars in my US bank, but I have heard since that it is 5,000E in a Finnish bank. I think it was different in my case because I applied from my home country. They like that so I think they make it a little easier.

Jessica

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:53 pm

It is in a Finnish bank. Just heard AlKo talk about this:

- To get residence permit you need 5000 euros in the Finnish bank under your name.

- To get the bank open you an account you need a residence permit.

Talk about them catch-22 situations!
Cheers, Hank W.

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:13 pm

Talk about them catch-22 situations!
Seem emigration is full of those! I am still getting the respose from potential employers..."I'd really like to hire you why don't you get your work permit and let me know." "But I can't get my work permit without a job" "oh nevermind then. Thanks for applying" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have heard the registration process is the same. magistrate says you need the permit permit people say you need to be registered.

It would be nice if these offices would communicate with each other...Oh wait that is just silly I'm sorry. :roll:

Jessica

- Mae West

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:55 pm

The employers must sign "the paper". Do you have a copy of it with you? They don't understand the process, that is why.
Cheers, Hank W.

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:13 pm

Oh no I have the paper. I even have the paper that explains the process with me. It has mostly been a time factor. They are hiring for now not 1-4 months from now. :roll:
OH well the quest goes on. Someone will have to break eventually :wink:

Jessica

- Mae West