Huuto fraud ? What to do ?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
hostmax

Post by hostmax » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi,

Recently I made a purchase on Huuto... However the package never got to arrive at my home. I asked the seller about the shipment however he just said he does not keep any paper and my address was wrong (I am quite 100% sure that it is correct since I still got my other mail frequently) ...So I asked for refund however he denied to do so. Does anybody have some experience with this kind of situation ? I tried to contact Huuto but there is no response yet ... (that guy is a confirmed user though)

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: Huuto fraud ? What to do ?

Post by onkko » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:55 pm

Police.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:21 am

As my father said: "you need to pay for your tuition".

If it was a too good deal, it probably wasn't.
Mistakes happen, but mail gets sent back...
If you paid on account beforehand, you paid... "trust" is something you learn. (and pay for the education)
police will give you warm hand and understanding, after 2-3 years you will get summons to court you have to go to, but nobody else does
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

hostmax

Post by hostmax » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:28 am

Yes, you are right... I got an expensive lesson this time :D
Anyway, I should now reconsider my trust for Finn (or at least guys claiming to have Finnish-looking name :) ), and of course Huuto will be an absolute "no" from now on :)

onkko

Post by onkko » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:31 am

hostmax wrote:Yes, you are right... I got an expensive lesson this time :D
Anyway, I should now reconsider my trust for Finn (or at least guys claiming to have Finnish-looking name :) ), and of course Huuto will be an absolute "no" from now on :)
In generally its good place but its not uncommon that there, like anywhere else, is "too good to be true" or even reasonably priced stuff from seller from nowheremäki and only prepayment is possible. There is lot of frauds from drugusers or other misfits who just dont care, getting caught is almost 100% sure.
Check how much and how valid "palaute" seller has. Its not unheard that someone hacked good "palaute" users or use multiple accounts to create one "good seller", also check when he is registered.
Check that he has option for pick up or "pay on delivery".
Check what else he has on sale, lots of expensive electronics should be alarming.
Check if product has real picture, not picture found in web.
If after checks you feel unsure demand either pickup or "pay on delivery" with written option that you can check it before payment.

And go to police and file a fraud report, you probably wont see your money but hes going to jail when enough of those pile up and i do believe youre not only victim.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

dev

Post by dev » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:19 am

I'm not Finn, but I must say that Finnish people are very honest in general. There can be bad examples anywhere, but as far the Finnish name is concerned, one african guy sells computer stuff with multiple Finnish names on Finnish boards.
I think the huuto website is really really bad. They dont even bother to change their 90's layout and give any kind of protection to their customers.If you buy from ebay and pay using paypal, they give you protection. So, I think its just hard to decide to buy from website like huuto.net

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:24 am

Well, there is the postiennakko (with right to check the contents) if pick up is not an option. (They mention also some third option, which I have no idea what it is)

hostmax

Post by hostmax » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:39 am

dev wrote:
I'm not Finn, but I must say that Finnish people are very honest in general. There can be bad examples anywhere, but as far the Finnish name is concerned, one african guy sells computer stuff with multiple Finnish names on Finnish boards.
I think the huuto website is really really bad. They dont even bother to change their 90's layout and give any kind of protection to their customers.If you buy from ebay and pay using paypal, they give you protection. So, I think its just hard to decide to buy from website like huuto.net
Yes... I have quite good faith in Finn, that's why I accept that offer. Unfortunately I stepped on ****** example
eBay is famous for non-authentic stuff, but their customer's protection program is really cool :) (and so as PayPal)

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:18 pm

the best way to deal with this nuisance is to pay the amount in post office, though I am not sure if sender would agree to this usually
Image Image

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:01 pm

Oombongo wrote:the best way to deal with this nuisance is to pay the amount in post office, though I am not sure if sender would agree to this usually
It costs to send... and costs even more if the buyer doesn't fetch the package. Thus some sellers would prefer payment first...
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Post by 007 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:19 pm

I have a feeling that I am dealing with a huuto.net huijari here. He disconnects my calls and in fact haven't heard of him since I paid him. I will do the rikosilmoitus after 4:00 pm tommorrow.

I have his phone number, nordea bank account, and IP address(from his email). I want to publish them all over internet so that others won't fall for him. Is it legal to do that?

P.S. He has closed his huuto.net account!
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Wed May 09, 2012 5:09 am

As much as I hate Paypal this is sort of why I don't like the fact that Huuto doesn't allow the use of Paypal. Because that way you could just open a dispute and Paypal would require confirmation of postage and if the seller didn't have any, the buyer would get all of his money back and the seller would be out of pocket.

In the end, the buyer is always supposed to get the benefit of the doubt, or else everyone would be afraid to buy. When it comes to places like Huuto, neither party is given the benefit of the doubt and it's quite easy for either person to scam the other. But far more so for the seller because in the end they require the payment first...

Personally I only really like doing business with people in my hometown and I prefer cash in hand. It's quite easy to get a person to pop out of the house for a moment and meet up somewhere, where you can exchange the goods and cash.

If you have to get something from the other side of the country you might as well just go online to a retailer and buy it from there for a little bit more... Get it?

Couldn't you do a 'chargeback' on your bank account? Go into the bank, submit a fraud report, tell them what happened. If you have a screenshot of the purchase, as well as receipt number or something from making the payment amongst other things. It's basically your word against his but seriously no one really submits a fraud report and a chargeback to get their money back if they actually got the product in the first place. It's usually ok because if you really DID get the item they can find out and then you get in a ton of trouble for lying that you never got it. But if the seller didn't send the item like he says he did, then he just loses the money out of his account, you get it back and both of you start from where you left off.

Depending on the form of payment you should be able to do a chargeback. My mate did one from Osuuspankki in Oulu. Had to submit proof that he paid for the item, proof that he tried contacting the person numerous times, a police statement and fraud report and then a secondary fraud report. Because the bank he used was Osuuspankki and the bank he paid to was Osuuspankki they did a chargeback in a matter of a day or so, if I remember correctly. After that he never heard from the guy again.
I̶f I can find any way to insult someone, believe me I will.

talemu

Post by talemu » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:39 pm

dev wrote:
I am an African. I paid to a Finnish guy, I know he is Finnish from his Nordea account (I can post his details). As soon as, I paid him, he stopped responding to my messages. I knew I stepped on a 'python', the moment he didn't answer my call.
And you know what , it is disturbing for an African guy who is snatched by a Finnish thief, to hear the reverse blame because of the apparent color stereotyping in Finland.
Surprisingly, another friend of mine told me he(also an African) had paid 200e to another Finnish, in the same huuto board, and can't get his item.
But Africans are always considered thieves, because of their "perceived criminal identity"....what a pitty :(
Last edited by talemu on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oho

Post by Oho » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 am

talemu wrote: Surprisingly, another friend of mine told me he(also an African) had paid 200e to another Finnish, in the same huuto board, and can't get his item.
But Africans are always considered thieves, because of their "criminal identity"....what a pitty :(

Well there you have it, Africans are all thieves and Finns are all racist, I guess it kind of sort of evens out does it not.

talemu

Post by talemu » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:25 am

Well there you have it, Africans are all thieves and Finns are all racist, I guess it kind of sort of evens out does it not.
But that is wrong generalization, why "someone is something" because of his identity? I don't say Finns are racists, nor can be Africans thieves. I might say, there is a visible color segregation in Finland. Whether, Finns understand it or not, that is their business - but if you are colored, it is very visible in buses, shopping malls, cafes,...blah blah. An outsider, if he is colored, will have an experience in Finland something like a 1950s USA.

The good thing is, I met many extraordinary Finnish guys, who have been outside of Finland, and they all understand the inherent problem in here. But they are so few, for the time being, to have an impact in the society.

BTW, this is one of the reasons, I am leaving Finland for good - in three days time, after studying my masters degree. Overall, I have a positive rating for Finland, except this color thing, and I hope, even this will change in the future :)