Residence permit for cohabitation. Urgent...

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
melpomene6

Post by melpomene6 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:35 am

Hello:
I am a non EU citizen. I am currently studying a Master degree in Finland and I have lived with my couple for almost three years. We want to apply for the first time for the residence permit. We want to be sure of giving enough proofs of our cohabitation during this time due to we do not have a rental agreement to show. Which other apendices can we show in the police? any suggestions of doing this as smooth as possible?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Kutittaa

Re: Residence permit for cohabitation. Urgent...

Post by Kutittaa » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:14 am

Well I am not sure if they count the time that you are/were on a student visa into your actual RP application. IIRC they do count some time but not all.

In general terms if you aren't an EU citizen then you need to marry. Unless you can prove 2 years cohabitation. But you say that you have no proof of this except for what is in your head.

A student visa isn't supposed to be a stepping stone to actually being able to live in Finland. You are merely studying and that is what you said you would do when you submitted your application for that visa.

If you have not been living together (on paper) then you have no chance, you may even have less than that because you have been a student, not staying in Finland with them actually KNOWING that you are cohabitation. Because you are registered as a student. If you want to do these things you need to go by the book. Which it sounds like you have not been doing at all.

Either way it might not work out well because you can't really use a student or WH visa or any visa in general as a stepping stone to getting a permit. Which is why they may or may not count it towards you getting an RP.

Also, if your visa is valid for the entire time of your masters study and you are obviously half way through it. You can't just fall in love when you start to run out of money, then apply for an RP and go from being a student who pays, to being a student who is paid. So if that is your idea, get that out of your head now. :lol: You should have gotten an RP in the first place. This is the feeling I get when you say that it is URGENT that you transfer from a student visa to an RP, it just sounds like you want to qualify for government money. :lol:

EDIT: After reading this thread: http://finlandforum.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 79#p393679

I am sort of unsure as to what visa you are on now... did you come here as a student? If so why were you trying to open a business? Lastly you are from Colombia which isn't exactly on the 'safe' list when it comes to granting permits. If you can't prove your cohabitation and your relationship looks like it is purely for financial gain then you're just wasting your time.
I̶f I can find any way to insult someone, believe me I will.

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:25 am

melpomene6 wrote:Hello:
We want to apply for the first time for the residence permit.
You don't have a residence permit for your study?
we do not have a rental agreement to show.
That makes it extremely difficult.
Since you already live here, it is easy to show having activities together. But they are worthless as prove.

Rip

Post by Rip » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:15 am

Like others i'm confused about this first permit + currently studying + lived together for three years combination. Please clarify.

Zwagger

Post by Zwagger » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Kutittaa wrote:Well I am not sure if they count the time that you are/were on a student visa into your actual RP application. IIRC they do count some time but not all.

In general terms if you aren't an EU citizen then you need to marry. Unless you can prove 2 years cohabitation. But you say that you have no proof of this except for what is in your head.

A student visa isn't supposed to be a stepping stone to actually being able to live in Finland. You are merely studying and that is what you said you would do when you submitted your application for that visa.

If you have not been living together (on paper) then you have no chance, you may even have less than that because you have been a student, not staying in Finland with them actually KNOWING that you are cohabitation. Because you are registered as a student. If you want to do these things you need to go by the book. Which it sounds like you have not been doing at all.

Either way it might not work out well because you can't really use a student or WH visa or any visa in general as a stepping stone to getting a permit. Which is why they may or may not count it towards you getting an RP.

Also, if your visa is valid for the entire time of your masters study and you are obviously half way through it. You can't just fall in love when you start to run out of money, then apply for an RP and go from being a student who pays, to being a student who is paid. So if that is your idea, get that out of your head now. :lol: You should have gotten an RP in the first place. This is the feeling I get when you say that it is URGENT that you transfer from a student visa to an RP, it just sounds like you want to qualify for government money. :lol:

EDIT: After reading this thread: http://finlandforum.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 79#p393679

I am sort of unsure as to what visa you are on now... did you come here as a student? If so why were you trying to open a business? Lastly you are from Colombia which isn't exactly on the 'safe' list when it comes to granting permits. If you can't prove your cohabitation and your relationship looks like it is purely for financial gain then you're just wasting your time.
Like seriously? What has the Op done to deserve this whole thing you just poured out. He simply asked for help how he can convert probably to a continous residence permit A instead of the temporary B he has now.

If you think you should be applauded for always asserting that non EU students are here to milk Finland is sheer disrespect for these people.

If you have ever lived with someone for three years, do you ever wish to let go of her or him just because your studies have finished? The Op is only trying to ask for a possibility on what is obtainable at law.

Why are you scared of letting people be in Finland? Will it reduce your government support? I bet not. Offer constructive advice and not just criticize if you have nothing to offer. I think the moderators on this forum should be fair.

I wonder why this Australian
Integration is a myth Karl is a highly-qualified professional who craves to work and contribute to Finnish society. As a non-EU citizen he’s found that harder to achieve than it sounds.
... http://www.sixdegrees.fi/6d/index.php/f ... o-citizens sold all his properties in the U.S worth 80.000euros just to later end up pursuing a student visa in Finland?. Not only third world citizens should be attacked for wanting to live in Finland. You also have some dirt in your pocket backyard to tidy before you can jump on innocent people living their lives while you chasing shadows on a faceless forum.

And to the Op,

I am sure someone has been in a similar situation and will give you proper advice rather than the hostility you have received already.

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Now listen here, it's best you learn right away that none of us on the forum give a shít what people think of our own personal 'underlying attitude' in our posts. We all have a different one. I will tell you right now that you're wasting your time if you're trying to hit a sympathy or conscience vein somewhere.

OP is yet to clarify certain details, and we get a lot of scammers, idiots, morons, dumbasses, spammers, bi-polar and ADHD people in the forums here who ask overly stupid questions. There is no such thing as a stupid question, "You should use the search feature blah blah blah" but the point remains... why does the OP need an RP from a Student Visa urgently? Also how does this match up against the fact that OP was opening his/her own business initially?

I've been around here long enough, and you like everyone else will eventually get the point that I am here to post, in whatever way I see fit. You have the same right, just don't spill that over onto mine.

P.S. 6-degrees newspaper is the biggest pile of toilet-paper ever. Tbh I should start my own English printed newspaper in Finland and force them into bankruptcy. :roll:
I couldn't care less about what they write about.

Zwagger

Post by Zwagger » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:33 pm

In your quest for excuse, you will be quick to conclude that 6degrees is a pile of rubbish for publishing a story about someone from your country who desperately needs a student visa in Finland for bachelors degree? Don't make me cry!

I don't want you to show pity, it just beats me why you are so concerned about Finland than the policy makers themselves? The last time i know you are not a Finn yet

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:44 pm

Listen.....

It's the sound of no one giving a !"#¤%.

Encompass

Post by Encompass » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Dear OP
I have heard of cases where a non EU citizen has been in cohabitation while he is here in Finland as a student. It is possible for you to apply for a TYPE A residence permit from the POLICE Service Point of your resident municipality.
But there are certain facts which is really necessary for you to understand before applying...

1. You should be able to show a minimum of EUR900 per month for yourself as a means of your living in Finland if your partner is not a Finnish citizen. (This condition also applies to the partner of an another EU citizen)
2. You should be able to show a rental/lease agreement which is at least 2 years old. The agreement should clearly list the names of you and your partner along with the date of commencement and termination of your agreement.
3. If you and your Partner has been living together but you cannot prove your cohabitation with an agreement then you should go seek an immediate help from the Police Service point. They might help you with other alternatives. (Please take your partner with you, she might be of a little help if she speaks Finnish and can answer the questions regarding your relationship). I think your(both your and your partner's) monthly credit card statement (if any) addressed to a common place of residence might help. (But I'm not sure).
5. If you and your partner were residing in the University's residence hall in a common room try contacting the proper authorities who are in charge of the Residence hall and see if they can certify your living together.(I think it may be possible cause they keep necessary record of all the residents in the residence hall)
4. Last but not the least, you should be well prepared to get grounded in Finland until you get your RP when and even if all other conditions are satisfied. It may take a while or ages :oops:

Best regards and Good luck!! :thumbsup:
Image Image

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Except that the OP doesn't have even half of those documents and cannot prove anything. Did you read his whole post?

Zwagger

Post by Zwagger » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Kutittaa wrote:Except that the OP doesn't have even half of those documents and cannot prove anything. Did you read his whole post?
Why does everything a foreigner do hurt you so bad? Are you insecure?

Logic

Post by Logic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Can someone tell me when did kutittaa become an expert in immigration matters, passing on advice from Australia!!

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 am

You don't need to be an 'expert' to know that without sufficient documents and proof of claims that you can't 'play ball' with the immigration department. :roll:

I suggest you both read the thread again.

If the OP had proof of cohabitation this would be an entirely different thread.

Do you want me to tell the OP that everything will be fine when he/she doesn't have the prerequisites to get what he/she wants? They are welcome to try.

But in the end without the documents. You aren't getting anywhere.

If either of you can offer better advice then you're invited to try, rather than bitch and moan about behaviour. Nothing either of you are posting about is constructive :lol: but as I've said before, it's hard to convince an idiot that they're an idiot. ;)

Zwagger

Post by Zwagger » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:28 pm

Kutittaa wrote:You don't need to be an 'expert' to know that without sufficient documents and proof of claims that you can't 'play ball' with the immigration department. :roll:

I suggest you both read the thread again.

If the OP had proof of cohabitation this would be an entirely different thread.

Do you want me to tell the OP that everything will be fine when he/she doesn't have the prerequisites to get what he/she wants? They are welcome to try.

But in the end without the documents. You aren't getting anywhere.

If either of you can offer better advice then you're invited to try, rather than bitch and moan about behaviour. Nothing either of you are posting about is constructive :lol: but as I've said before, it's hard to convince an idiot that they're an idiot. ;)
Remember, your first claim was that the OP is desperate because he is a student and does not necessarily need to change his status. But you forget this person mentioned he has been living with his partner for 3 years. That is 1 year more than the required for what he intend to do. Anyway, I agree with you that its difficult to prove that fact but i know for some reasons, people move in to a partners registered apartment and don't worry much about the contract, they just pay their part of the bill.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:04 pm

The "proof" of cohabiting in Finland is being officially registered living at the same address in the maistraatti. So getting that proof is really easy - unless the computer says "no".
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."