Personal experience with RP and Appealing a decision

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Flossy1978

Re: Personal experience with RP and Appealing a decision

Post by Flossy1978 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 am

Don't listen to the poster about calling every two weeks. You really shouldn't. They even say do not be calling to find out the status or it can put your application further back in the processing matter.

You should just know that.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Flossy1978 wrote:Don't listen to the poster about calling every two weeks. You really shouldn't. They even say do not be calling to find out the status or it can put your application further back in the processing matter.
You should just know that.
I think that's a bit BS on your part. Calling should have no affect on where the application is put in the queue. But it sure as hell won't make it go any faster either.
I̶f I can find any way to insult someone, believe me I will.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:39 pm

It's not !"#¤%. Years ago when I applied, it was written on the paper, do not call asking about your application. Serious. Ok, I applied about 12 years ago. Maybe they're nicer now LOL.

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:25 pm

But that has nothing to do with it taking longer if you call up often... do you even know what you're writing here?
I̶f I can find any way to insult someone, believe me I will.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:31 pm

Yes, I know what I am writing. The paper clearly stated to not be calling making inquiries of the status of your application because it can cause delay to the processing time. It was an idle threat not to be bothering them basically. It was a dozen years ago. Times are surely a whole lot different now.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:53 pm

And anyway, weren't you living up in Oulu? Have you ever lived in Helsinki?

That's where I lived at the time I made my applications. I no longer live there and when I have to make any applications now being a foreigner where I live now, it's been completely different.

When I lived in Helsinki at the beginning of the 2000s, immigration stuff was a nightmare. The office was in downtown Helsinki in a tiny room where there didn't seem to be a lot of organisation. You just sat and waited for hours sometimes. They would shut off the ticket machine time hours earlier than the time the office shut. It was a nightmare. And it was on the papers I had recieved not to call them to find out what was going on. Now I know the offices are in Malmi and stuff seems to be a whole better organised. At the couple of times I went there, they seemed to be.

Now I live out of that whole area and it's so much easier

Keplerinvaimo

Post by Keplerinvaimo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:11 am

I had exact same experience... that terrible room on the first floor. Plus the letter saying don't call us.

It seems that now everything is handled in Pasila. Happy those days are behind us...

Only drama now is renewing Australian passport. Have you ever been to the embassy in Stockholm?!
Image Image

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:37 am

Ha. I knew I wasn't insane or making it up!!! They really did basically threaten us with delaying our applications if we called.

I have never had to go to Stockholm. When I had to get a new passport, I just sent my old one to Stockholm. Maybe they don't allow that now?

Keplerinvaimo

Post by Keplerinvaimo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:07 am

One can only hope that the letters aren't so threatening these days.

We had a minor's passport to renew. From memory they wanted to see him because it was the first one issued outside Australia. I'll have to double check if the next one will be the same. We have in-laws living in Uppsala, so we can tie in a HEL-STO-HEL cruise, see the family and do the passport all in on fell swoop if necessary.

Mine last renewal was handled just fine through the mail. Except now that that I think about, what about the biometric part? Hmm, maybe that will mean another trip...
Image Image

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:28 am

Oh, my son is Finnish and has an EU passport. I should get him an Aussie one too. So when the EU finally goes down the drain, I can run off to Australia with him without any problems LOL.

Probably have to go to Sweden to do that electronic finger thing now. Damn. My passport will run out in 2016. Suppose I'll have to go then.

Good you can hit two birds with one stone. Cheaper too if you have someone to stay with. I am glad they got rid of the guy who was in the consulate in Helsinki. I just remember he was a rather unhappy rude looking chap. Wondered how they managed to have that guy representing Australia?

Keplerinvaimo

Post by Keplerinvaimo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:18 am

I just checked, the parent / guardian has to front up every time for minors passport. Good news though: at the moment the embassy page says nothing about adults having to present themselves for anything biometric! One trip saved ;)

While we watch the EU implode, I'm wondering when markka will make a reappearance! I have a couple of jars full of coins still...

I remember that guy (Steve / Stephen someone?). He was the last paid consulate to Finland. Who knows where they found him! Now it's the Qantas rep in honourary status. She's always friendly, although not apologetic about not being able to do anything :)
Image Image

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:31 am

I think that was the guy. Some middle aged (at the time) guy who's face would crack if he'd bothered to ever smile.

Well, a trip to Sweden is always nice. either way.

I have a big jar full of 10 and 50 pennies. I was actually thinking of drilling a small hole in each of them and making one of those door fly screens out of them. They're light enough I think. Suppose I'd go to jail for messing with money, wouldn't I? I was collecting all kinds of notes and coins as the changeover took place for any future children I had, but my ex 'borrowed' many of the notes and now I have almost none left :( Just some really old 50 markka note from maybe 40 or something years ago.

Keplerinvaimo

Post by Keplerinvaimo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:35 am

Flossy1978 wrote: I have a big jar full of 10 and 50 pennies. I was actually thinking of drilling a small hole in each of them and making one of those door fly screens out of them. They're light enough I think. Suppose I'd go to jail for messing with money, wouldn't I? I was collecting all kinds of notes and coins as the changeover took place for any future children I had, but my ex 'borrowed' many of the notes and now I have almost none left :( Just some really old 50 markka note from maybe 40 or something years ago.
Oops, we've hijacked the thread a little here ;)

Re the money and jail, I think it's only Australia (and maybe Commonwealth countries) with the Queen's head that can cause you trouble. I remember getting into a heap of strife in an art class because I used one and two cent coins for fish eyes (man they looked good!).

Bummer that your collection got depleted. Are old old markka notes worth anything to collectors these days? Probably still too soon...
Image Image

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:05 am

Well, our conversation is more interesting LOL.

Nah, I don't think it's worth anything. It's an old brown coloured note. Older than the ones we changed into Euros. Probably my pile of rather old Finnish markka are worth alot more. Some over a 100 years old in good condition. Who knows.

Guess I will deface the coins and make that door thing. I want to leave my balcony door open without being eaten by mozzies in the night LOL.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:44 am

Flossy1978 wrote:Nah, I don't think it's worth anything. It's an old brown coloured note. Older than the ones we changed into Euros. Probably my pile of rather old Finnish markka are worth alot more. Some over a 100 years old in good condition. Who knows.
http://www.snynumis.fi/huutokaupat/

Btw, old 50mk note without signatures -> ~2500€ http://www.snynumis.fi/huutokaupat/2011 ... 22011.html
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.