Kefir anyone?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Cynde

Kefir anyone?

Post by Cynde » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:14 pm

I have been making my own kefir for years and haven't found anyone in Finland interested in doing the same. It would be really good to have a few kefir buds for backup supplies, not to mention all the benefits of kefir everyone would get! I almost lost my batch last summer and was really panicking. I brought some with me to my family abroad last summer and found many happy takers. The health benefits are many.
Are there any kefir fans out there? I have grains to share if anyone is curious. http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/fermenting/kefir.shtml one of a gazillion sites if you want to Google it.
Kefir fanatic
Cynde
Last edited by Cynde on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knitting takes balls...

Kefir anyone?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Kupcake

Re: Kerif anyone?

Post by Kupcake » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:45 pm

I've been thinking about making my own kefir for ages, but never got around to ordering the grains. Never actually tasted the stuff but i've read about the health benefits and i'd like to give it a try. Where'd you get the grains from?

PM me and we can chat about price and where i can pick them up from.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

Cynde

Re: Kefir anyone?

Post by Cynde » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:11 pm

I got mine from a friend of a friend. They can last for many years, forever maybe. They grow and I pass them on to others. But when I was away last summer I froze them and they don't always like being frozen I found out. Usually it works fine but this time it was less than fine --but now they are all happy again.
It has a tangy taste, little more sour than yogurt or piimä. You may need to acquire a taste. Some people love it immediately , like I did. You'll notice the health benefits after a short time.
I PM'ed you, Kup.

Cynde
Last edited by Cynde on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knitting takes balls...

Spectra

Post by Spectra » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Any recent luck finding kefir buds? Or ready kefir?

Or even yogurt that contains L. bulgaricus and S. Thermophilus? I heard those are the two most impt cultures. Just mailed Lindhals (makers of that lovely Turkish yogurt) and asked them what bacteria they've got in their yogurt.

What about making your own yogurt? Any good, easy recipes for bacteria-rich homemade yogurt? (without a yogurt making machine)

Spectra

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:17 pm

They actually used to sell it back in the day, it was a brown carton... you can buy it in the supermarket in Estonia, but if they have it in the Estonian deli I habven't paid attention. They have excellent smetana though. So the Estonian delis might be worth popping by.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:22 pm

I still have plenty of kefir grains if anyone wants any. Also making home made yoghurt is not difficult. A food thermos or syrofoam container or a really warm place is needed besides some starter.
Kefir doesn't need anything more than starter grains and a jar and milk in both cases of course.
Cynde
Last edited by Cynde on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knitting takes balls...

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Well, was to the estonian deli in Tikkurila. They've changed location a bit to bigger store. hapukoor and keefir in the cold storage allright. and loads of dried fish...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

cllamas

Post by cllamas » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi

I am interested to have a few grains if you can share.

Once I have enough I am also willing to offer some for free

Please contact me and tell me where to pick them up
live and let live

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:31 pm

Hi I'll check if I have some in the freezer. I posted that four years ago!
Cynde
Knitting takes balls...

cllamas

Post by cllamas » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:06 am

Hi

This is truely a time capsule. I joined the forum before moving to Finland seven years ago!!

I live in Helsinki now, so we can meet at a location convinient for you when you have time
live and let live

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:27 pm

OK let's hope I can get some together for you. Or let's hope someone else I gave grains to, still has them, too.
Cynde
Knitting takes balls...

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:40 am

yeah, I may need some kefir grains too. Let me know how much will it cost and the amount of grains as I killed my friend's Kefir :)
Image Image

cllamas

Post by cllamas » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi

I am also willing to pay a reasonable price for the kefir grains if someelse is also willing to sell some, needless to say that Kefir grains donations are also accepted :)

Carlos
live and let live

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Mine are just not thriving well but try here http://www.torontoadvisors.com/Kefir/kefir-list.php There are a couple of places in Finland, probably ones I've shared in the past. (my grand-babies :lol: ) But if no one has any in Finland, I have sent grains to other countries far and wide with success, so just write and ask.
Cynde
Knitting takes balls...

theandrealves

Kefir (in a month)

Post by theandrealves » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Hey everyone

I am moving to Helsinki in a month and I drink Kefir yogurt for 5 years now. If someone can save me some Kafir grains to share in a month that would be amazing.

Thanks all.
Andre