American products in Finland?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:33 am

I wrote to Stockmann's and asked if they would consider importing Kraft Peanut Butter as they would most certainly have a customer (me!) who would buy it. This was their answer:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately we do not have Kraft peanut butter in our assortments. We do not import any
American foods. That is why you can not find some familiar US made food products at Stockmann´s.

Just in case any of you were wondering why, even at Stockmann's, you can't find certain things....

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:28 am

What they are saying is "they don't import any foods directly from America".

They have all the usual Heinz, Kelloggs, Coca-cola etc etc on their shelves. I'm sure I have seen Philadelphia cheese in Stockmann and that's made by Kraft isn't it? Most of the industrial food market is run by a few large American companies.

I have seen peanut butter though.... I am sure you can get it in Hki, does it have to be that particular one?

Personally I rate peanut butter close to mämmi....

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:36 am

Hey, hey....peanut butter is the spread of the Gods :wink: Anyway, yes, I have tried the other ones available here and they taste like a*s so I can't deal with them.

I, too, have seen other Kraft products here and don't understand their response either. What I will probably next do is contact the people on the next Kraft product I find here....

George Bernard Shaw

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:52 am

The fact that is has Kraft written on it doesnt mean its from the USA ;)
Most products from US-companies you will find in Europe come from european production, they wont ship coca-cola bottles from the USA to europe :)
While it is easy to grow f.e. tomatoes (ketchup) here, you wont find a lot of peanut-farms in europe and hence no european "american peanut butter".
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

stig

Post by stig » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:06 am

MinnaRaisanen wrote:Hey, hey....peanut butter is the spread of the Gods :wink: Anyway, yes, I have tried the other ones available here and they taste like a*s so I can't deal with them.

I, too, have seen other Kraft products here and don't understand their response either. What I will probably next do is contact the people on the next Kraft product I find here....
There are Kraft products in the UK but I dont think I've ever seen their peanut butter... I'm wondering if the range of Kraft products in europe doesn't contain their brand of peanut butter and therefore they would have to import it from the US. I would guess when they say American products they don't mean American "brands" but just stuff they would have to import from America....

Not selling American brands would be a bit silly... :)

Have you ever tried making your own peanut butter?

Either that or it's care package time....
"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is gooood.........."
- Phil. 17th June 2004

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:13 am

I am almost sure that I have seen packets of do it your self Pop Corn in a Made in the USA packet in Stockers...but perhaps it was Sokos..not sure!

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:20 am

Have you ever tried making your own peanut butter?

Either that or it's care package time....

Unfortunately I don't have a food processor.... and it would be difficult without one. My aunt once tried to make some for me, but there was a hint of mint :? which i thought was tad odd....for peanut butter.... :roll:

Thank goodness a friend just brought me some from Canada....ahhhhhhhhhhh...... mornings are 'sunny' once again and my boyfriend doesn't have to hide in the closet until I leave :twisted:

George Bernard Shaw

eashton

Post by eashton » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:28 am

stig wrote:There are Kraft products in the UK but I dont think I've ever seen their peanut butter... I'm wondering if the range of Kraft products in europe doesn't contain their brand of peanut butter and therefore they would have to import it from the US. I would guess when they say American products they don't mean American "brands" but just stuff they would have to import from America....
Stockmann's has Waitrose peanut butter, smooth or chunky. There is also a natural peanut butter made in Finland that tastes pretty good.

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:43 pm

Waitrose is a British make and it is really good stuff. I hate the Finnish peanut butter, its way too oily for my liking!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:15 pm

There is an "American Food Store" in Stockholm on Västerlånggatan north end of Gamla Stan.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Mai

Post by Mai » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:07 am

Asian market in Hakaniemi (opposite side of UFF-store at Hämeentie) sells dutch Pindakaas. I am not a fan of peanut butter but the people i know that are, all swear on it. Fits also for making sate sauces etc, because it's not sweetened.

That shop is really nice one for other food hunts as well, i've seen stuff from durians to cooking bananas there.

Bob Hamilton

Post by Bob Hamilton » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:13 am

Minna, you have my sympathy! I, too, am addicted to peanut butter :(
I'm lucky, though -I have a standing order with all Nokia staff visiting Oulu from the Vancouver, Canada office -they MUST bring in one jar of peanut butter or maple syrup each visit :lol: :lol: .

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:35 pm

I've found peanut butter in Sokos and K-market. Usually hard to find from all those chocklate spreads. I buy the chunky stuff to make satay sauce tho :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Bettyblu

Post by Bettyblu » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:10 pm

US Products for Sale
If you need US products, please visit the website: http://www.jarimaki.fi in Koskenkorva, great American store. They do ship.. Or

Gray's American Store
Västerlånggatan 14
Stockholm
and the phone number is 219 500.

Thanks to Pearl Lönnfors who took the time to make a note of the details of Gray’s when she was in Stockholm recently. A small shop on the main tourist street in the old town that has oodles of American food
products, from chocolate chips to grits to marshmallows to life savers.

You may be able to order by phone and pay postiennakko/postförskott/postal advance. where you pay for the goods at the post office upon arrival

soloturku

Re: American products in Finland?

Post by soloturku » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:12 am

MinnaRaisanen wrote:I wrote to Stockmann's and asked if they would consider importing Kraft Peanut Butter as they would most certainly have a customer (me!) who would buy it. This was their answer:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately we do not have Kraft peanut butter in our assortments. We do not import any
American foods. That is why you can not find some familiar US made food products at Stockmann´s.

Just in case any of you were wondering why, even at Stockmann's, you can't find certain things....
Did you ask to macdonalds?? maybe they have :twisted: :twisted:

take care
seb