Student in Vantaa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
James P Sullivan

Student in Vantaa

Post by James P Sullivan » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:36 pm

Hey,

I'm a student from Belgium, and I'm currently making my final Project for graduation here in Finland. In Genano Oy. to be more exactly.
I really loved this country. the beauty of the nature and so.
And I still do, but I arrived here exactly 2 weeks ago, and when I entered my room from my shared appartment, it had no furniture at all. That was quite a shock, but still, I managed. So I wanted to try the internet, but that didn't work because of a mistake with my password. And I really needed the internet. Luckily a roommate had a spare matras, so I could sleep on the floor, and he also let me use his internet. That was my first day, so not really fun to arrive.
It's going better now, although, I feel quite lonely (I have a girlfriend at home), and I really need to get to know some people.
The problem is that I'm a little shy, and not really a party-animal.
So, I was thinking if I could get in contact with some people who know the Helsinki a bit. And to explain me some of the finnish habbits.
I'd appriciate it very much...
Greetz,
Wim

Through darkness of future past, the magician longs to see, one chants out between two worlds..... Fire, Walk With Me.

Student in Vantaa

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

gavin

Post by gavin » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:47 pm

Hi

Welcome to the group!

Reminds me of the time I arrived in Finland in 1995, as an exchange student...

I flew to Joensuu (Joensuu airport is not much to look at) and the Finnish lecturer who was supposed to collect me from the airport 'forgot' I was coming and went to germany on holiday.

So they were closing the airport (really) and there was me, no Finnish, no Finnish money, a contact number (of the guy in germany) and an answering machine in Finnish...

10/10 for the Finnair people who gave me a lift the 25Km into Joensuu, then took me to the Uni, tracked down someone who vaguely knew I was coming, and made sure I was taken care of.

I also got introduced to a shared room, and just the most basic furniture... My room mate arrived a few days later (Sebastian, a great frenchman who could ONLY speak French)

All I can say is that I had some of the best times of my life in the following months, and ended up living most of the time here.

Good luck, and welcome!

Cheers
Gavin

James P Sullivan

Post by James P Sullivan » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:54 pm

thanks,

It's very nice to hear that.
I just got some mails that maybe someone could arrange me a bed, so that would be wonderfull. Because sleeping on the floor isn't that comfortable.
But I'll manage. And I'm sure I'll have a good time here.
Finish people are really nice so it can't go wrong.

Greetz
Wim
Through darkness of future past, the magician longs to see, one chants out between two worlds..... Fire, Walk With Me.

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:11 pm

I went to the same place as Gavin a few years after. I have to say i went into shock when I saw my room! All white, basic and 'clinical'. I put some photos up, cards and things people sent and it made a huge difference!

Where abouts in Vantaa are you? Quite often a bunch of us get together in Myyrmaki for a few drinks and a natter :D

Also there is some recycling centre you can visit and get furniture such a desk really really cheap!! And have it delivered too! :D

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:14 pm

The link for the recyling place is

http://www.pkskierke.fi/

James P Sullivan

Post by James P Sullivan » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:08 am

thanks,

I'm gonna take a look then.
But, My company where I work have helped me a lot.
No I have a nice chair, a bed and a TV.
So, that's good enough for me.

The street I live in is called Kylmaojantie, nr 4, room 45.
It's somewhere between Simonkylla and Ilola.
From Tikkurali it's 10 minutes with bus 63.

So when I arrived here it was completely empty.
Except for a large closet. It didn't even have a lamp.
But, it's much better now.
People from home have sent me some pictures, and I bought a poster.
So, it really is much better now.
And I'm only staying for 3 months, so it would be crazy to buy lots of stuff.
But thanks for the reply everybody.
Greetz,
Wim