Moving over...hopefully!

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
paul knapp

Moving over...hopefully!

Post by paul knapp » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:35 pm

Well this site my friends has been a god send, some soooperb advice and I have read peoples trials & tribulations, now I need some honest words from people. my girlfriend who is Finnish has moved back to Finalnd in search of work herself,leaving me here waiting to go over if she succeeds thenI can sell our flat and buy something cah out there and have no mortgage at least to worry about whilst Ilook for work. We want t o be in the tampere region as I feel maybe with a bit of determination I can get something there. The thing that worries me is that I have always worked here and never bothered with the qualifications stuff which is essential in Finalnd even to clean toilets. If I really want work will the Finns take me serious, as i have worked solid for 15 years thankfully never unemployed so this is all very scary when the time comes. I have worked in internal sales/office environment all this time but feel I want to try my hand a t something new when i get there, I was thinking something like hotel work at first, is this viable in Tampere!!!
Please you guys throw me some work suggestions and answers to what I have mentioned i need that puch when my girlfriend gets settled back there as I am sure gonna be scared crapless by this move!!!
Again thanks for this community..I feel now I have joined 4 real.

Moving over...hopefully!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:50 pm

Hiya Paul, welcome to ..

I don't know how much you scanned through the board, as there are also a lot of threads on how to get a job and how difficult it is.
Not to disencourage you, but it can be a real pain.
It depends on a couple of things. Your field (sales does seem to be an ok field to get a job in, also in Finland), your experience, and the two most important things: your Finnish language skills and your amount of luck.

If your Finnish language skills are poor, it will diminish your chances by (wild guess) approximately 65%. Since even a paper boy is required to speak fluently Finnish, you will understand that working for a Finnish company in sales will require perfectly fluent Finnish.

Basically it doesn't matter how much experience you have if you don't have the Finnish language at hand.
I worked for 13 years before I came to Finland, and I'm still looking for a proper full-time job.
If your certificates/diplomas/papers aren't an internationally acknowledged degree, they are of no value here.

That's my experience.

I can't say anything about the situation/attitude in Tampere area, but here in Helsinki it's difficult.

But I'm positive that you will be fine if you are determined to get settled here. Finland is a beautiful country and even though it has some negative things (read other threads here :wink: ), they don't, by a long shot, outweigh the positive things.

Goodluck! :D

Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:57 pm

:roll: Spot on that Mr Arno :!:

paul knapp

Post by paul knapp » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:00 pm

Cheers chap for that my language skills are basic so guess things are gonna be tough but hey it is a challenge and that what excites me :twisted: Not gonna give up as I feel i am letting my girlfriend and myself down I know I can do it if i try hard :)

Poe

Post by Poe » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:31 pm

Try these paces for English language daycare centres ... http://www.tampere.fi/sote/english/families/foreign.htm

#1. Send them your letter of intro and CV first from England. Hopefully you'll get some bites but don't hold your breath.

#2. If and when you get here, turn up at these places with CV in hand (short and sweet), a smile and neat appearance. Show your face (a must). Have a mobile phone contact number.

Take anything offered that suits you as substiting often leads to more work and/or full time position.

Relax a bit as if it doesn't work out to your liking, you can always return home with a new experience under your belt.

Cheers,
Poe :)

paul knapp

Post by paul knapp » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:47 pm

Thanks Poe your reply is very gratefully received :D