Finnish Famine

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
abare21

Finnish Famine

Post by abare21 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:53 am

Hello everyone, I am a high school student from Iowa State researching the Finnish Famine of 1867-1868 for National History Day. National History Day is a nationwide competition involving 500,000 students from all states and territories. Two years ago, I used this website for my research on Finland in WWII, and found it to be very useful. I have a few important questions that I was wondering if any one could help me answer, especially regarding a few Finnish language books that do not have translations, and I am unable to read as my Finnish skills are not that advanced. My research is particularly focused on how the famine changed the social atmosphere in Finland (such as the beginning of a rural proletariat, the relationships between the landless class and the farmers and so on) as well as the impact that the famine had on rural life (i.e. rural vs. industrial, and the famine's resulting internal migration). In addition, I would love to find some good first hand accounts from the famine years. Thank you for taking the time to answer any questions!

1. First of all, does anyone have family stories regarding life during the famine years?

2. Has anyone read Murtavia Voimia by Santeri Alkio? If so, could you tell me a little bit about it, such as a general synopsis or anything relating to my above research points?

3. How about Kovina Aikoina/Hårda Tilder by K.A. Tavaststjerna?

4. And, lastly, Pikakuvia 1867 Katovuodesta ja Sen Seurauksista by Pietari Päivärinta?

5. Since my project type is going to be a ten minute long play-like performance, does anyone know of any first hand accounts of the famine years?

6. Does anyone know anything about the famine years that is interesting or lesser known?

7. How do you say "Thank you so much for your time!" in Finnish, because if you have read all of this I would really love to thank you for doing so! :D

-Alex Bare

Finnish Famine

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Finnish Famine

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Well, this book would have exactly what you want "Häkkinen, A., Ikonen, V., Pitkänen K. ja Soikkanen, H.: Kun halla nälän tuskan toi. Miten suomalaiset kokivat 1860-luvun nälkävuodet. WSOY. Darmstadt 1991."
but if you can't the language... I don't know if theres an ebook.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Beowulf_Agate

Post by Beowulf_Agate » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:20 pm

How about checking scholar.google.com , some articles seems to be available and for some you can find references what could fit in to your research and maybe your high school library could help you in getting the article itself from the publishing journal?

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=fi ... and+&btnG=

One article that I found when googling quickly, with some refences to social characteristics: https://www.econstor.eu/dspace/bitstrea ... 668720.pdf

Good luck with your research project!

abare21

Post by abare21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:32 am

Pursuivant wrote:Well, this book would have exactly what you want "Häkkinen, A., Ikonen, V., Pitkänen K. ja Soikkanen, H.: Kun halla nälän tuskan toi. Miten suomalaiset kokivat 1860-luvun nälkävuodet. WSOY. Darmstadt 1991."
but if you can't the language... I don't know if theres an ebook.
Yes, it has come up in my research quite extensively. I actually might be able to order it through our library's vast inter-loan service and attempt to translate some parts to my best ability... or at least get some graphic content from it.

abare21

Post by abare21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:37 am

Beowulf_Agate wrote:How about checking scholar.google.com , some articles seems to be available and for some you can find references what could fit in to your research and maybe your high school library could help you in getting the article itself from the publishing journal?

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=fi ... and+&btnG=

One article that I found when googling quickly, with some refences to social characteristics: https://www.econstor.eu/dspace/bitstrea ... 668720.pdf

Good luck with your research project!
Kiitos viestistä!

Although I have seen the second document, I've never though about using google scholar! A lot of the reports appear to cover topics that didn't often come up in my research. I'll check with the library and see if they can track down copies. Kiitos avusta! :thumbsup: