Dumplings/All Purpose Flour Question

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
madamekira

Post by madamekira » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:33 am

Hey folks!

I am trying to re-create an extremely simple recipe for chicken & dumplings that my family used to make back in the states, but I can't seem to get the right flavor at all. Basically the dumplings were made with a mixture of either all purpose flour (or self rising, depending on what was on hand), water, and a couple tablespoons of oil.. The issue I am having is that so far I have tried 3 different types of flour and none of them has resulted in the flavor that the dumplings should be. Each time the texture is perfect, but the flavor is very bland and well..just terrible quite frankly. I have noticed that most Finnish flours are very fine as well in comparison to what we had back home, though I don't know if that has anything to do with flavor. I have been looking at some other posts here and saw that someone tried kakkuvehnäjauho for pancakes, and I wondered if that might also work for dumplings? What is the closest flour to all purpose flour here?

There are just so many flours to choose from when I check the aisles.. It's scary! :D I considered having a family member mail some to me, but that seems a bit much for a few comfort meals now and then..

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ssjohnson

Re: Dumplings/All Purpose Flour Question

Post by ssjohnson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:22 am

The flour aisle is daunting, isn't it? :)
I use kakkuvehnäjauho almost exclusively for my purposes, including pancakes and breadmaking, so I would definitely suggest trying it for the dumplings. I think that's the closest to "all-purpose flour" in the US.

catfish78

Post by catfish78 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:42 am

I use "puolikarkea vehnäjauho" as my all purpose flour. Pancakes, waffles, biscuits, dumplings, cakes, pie crust, etc.... I haven't had any flavor problems. Not a fan of the cake flour here.
**** that and **** you

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:56 am

znark

madamekira

Post by madamekira » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Thank you all very much for the replies! I'll give those links a read and also check out the two flours mentioned (which I surprisingly haven't tried yet!)