TOEFL score report delivery estimate?

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
roadlamp1768

Post by roadlamp1768 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:07 am

Hello, everyone?

My question is:
Does anyone know how long normally it takes for a TOEFL score report to arrive to Tampere, Finland from ETS?
In the official webpage of TOEFL, it is written that it usually takes 4 to 6 weeks outside the U.S and the mail will be delivered via the USPS first mail(standard) delivery.

If I had known it takes this long, I would have taken the TOEFL test weeks ago.
Now I'm really worried cause the documents deadline is 22 February.
I took the test 12 January and I know I meet the required scores. Ah, I'm such a fool.

Do you think my TOEFL score report will arrive in time to Tampere or not?

Thanks for your replies in advance. :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: TOEFL score report delivery estimate?

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:44 pm

roadlamp1768 wrote: If I had known it takes this long, I would have taken the TOEFL test weeks ago.
What you should've done is taken IELTS. They distribute the results two weeks after the exam and they can send them (e l e c t r o n i c a l l y) straight to the university you are applying to.

You live and learn...

No one here could possibly answer your question. This is the peak testing period for IELTS, TOEFL, so I guess TOEFL might have some delays.

roadlamp1768

Post by roadlamp1768 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am

Hey Rosamunda, thanks for your reply!

You've applied to TAMK before?

I asked its admission office whether it's allowed to send them my TOEFL result electronically and they said it isn't because TAMK doesn't have the electronic system to do that.

I understand mail delivery date is not something one can predict exactly. I guess I was just looking for some hopeful info.

Thanks for your reply anyway! ;)

palashpulsar

Post by palashpulsar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:03 am

I had a 'bad' experience of my TOEFL score getting delivered to Aalto University: it took more than a month (I guess around 2 months). I also sent my TOEFL score to other universities in Europe, and almost all of them reached the universities on time (the time mentioned in TOEFL website). I contacted the Aalto University admission office and told them about my problem. They replied that they contacted the ETS. Because of many applications ETS is taking time to deliver the TOEFL score report. So even they agreed to wait for the TOEFL.

But this happened in Aalto and not in Tampere. I suggest that you should contact the admission office of the university and tell them about your problem.

roadlamp1768

Post by roadlamp1768 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:17 am

Rosamunda wrote:
roadlamp1768 wrote: If I had known it takes this long, I would have taken the TOEFL test weeks ago.
What you should've done is taken IELTS. They distribute the results two weeks after the exam and they can send them (e l e c t r o n i c a l l y) straight to the university you are applying to.

You live and learn...

No one here could possibly answer your question. This is the peak testing period for IELTS, TOEFL, so I guess TOEFL might have some delays.

Thanks for your info! :D Actually, I'm going to take IELTS next week (2 February) That way I can send it to TAMK by 22 February according to what is written in IELTS homepage. Thanks again! :) I feel so much better now.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Did you check with TAMK that they can receive IELTS scores electronically?
Maybe you should also check with your test centre too (where are you?).

I was just quoting the IELTS marketing blurb but I have no idea if TAMK is specifically able to accept IELTS scores directly. But I don't see why not.

roadlamp1768

Post by roadlamp1768 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 am

palashpulsar wrote:I had a 'bad' experience of my TOEFL score getting delivered to Aalto University: it took more than a month (I guess around 2 months). I also sent my TOEFL score to other universities in Europe, and almost all of them reached the universities on time (the time mentioned in TOEFL website). I contacted the Aalto University admission office and told them about my problem. They replied that they contacted the ETS. Because of many applications ETS is taking time to deliver the TOEFL score report. So even they agreed to wait for the TOEFL.

But this happened in Aalto and not in Tampere. I suggest that you should contact the admission office of the university and tell them about your problem.
I guess I can't really appeal to Tampere at the moment cause it is clearly written in ETS's hompage that it can take up to 6 weeks and 22 February is only 4 weeks away from now.
Though it's good to learn about your story. It means I can appeal if something that's out of my hands happen universities can be quite flexible, although I need to check with TAMK to make sure.
Thanks for your reply! :D

roadlamp1768

Post by roadlamp1768 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:24 am

Rosamunda wrote:Did you check with TAMK that they can receive IELTS scores electronically?
Maybe you should also check with your test centre too (where are you?).

I was just quoting the IELTS marketing blurb but I have no idea if TAMK is specifically able to accept IELTS scores directly. But I don't see why not.

I'm from South Korea and I could see the "database of institutions that can receive IELTS scores electronically" in the test centre's webpage.

TAMK wasn't in the database so my plan is to use EMS premium to send a paper score report to TAMK. Since this EMS premium will take 4 days at maximum and I can get my result in my hand on 15 February, it's very likely that my score report will arrive to TAMK by 22 February. :D

It would have been much easier if I just took IELTS instead of TOEFL on 12 January though. :)

Hippo

Post by Hippo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:02 pm

Ugh, I hope Aalto receives my TOEFL score on time :-?

The quality of service that ETS provides is mind-blowing. I took the GRE about 6 weeks ago and asked them to send a report to the U of H on the test day. Still no delivery.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:42 pm

I would just send an email to TAMK student admissions office to double check whether they have access to the IELTS Test Report Form Verification Service (they probably do).

Your test centre in Korea should be able to send an electronic copy of your test report form to TAMK (you are allowed to order 5 reports to be sent without charge). When the university receives the electronic copy from your test centre, they can go online to check it through the IELTS Test Report Verification Service.

So, you need to give TAMK's email contact information to your test centre in Korea, I don't see why they couldn't send the Test Report Form to them directly.

roadlamp1768

Post by roadlamp1768 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Hippo wrote:Ugh, I hope Aalto receives my TOEFL score on time :-?

The quality of service that ETS provides is mind-blowing. I took the GRE about 6 weeks ago and asked them to send a report to the U of H on the test day. Still no delivery.
I read many such score report woes. :(

It is really mind-blowing. I hope the one you sent to Aalto arrives on time as well.

Hippo

Post by Hippo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:38 pm

One a different note, has anyone tried to contact University Admissions Finland to see whether the hard copies of their application documents arrived? They input the TOEFL scores into the portal so I can see that they've got it, but there's nothing regarding the application package.

Ashken

Post by Ashken » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Once UAF receives the requirements, they will as well put a note on the portal. Can't remember it well but it seems like 'documents received'; so as when it will be forwarded to the University. So, it is possible that they got the language test result first before the other requirements.

roadlamp1768

Post by roadlamp1768 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Rosamunda wrote:I would just send an email to TAMK student admissions office to double check whether they have access to the IELTS Test Report Form Verification Service (they probably do).

Your test centre in Korea should be able to send an electronic copy of your test report form to TAMK (you are allowed to order 5 reports to be sent without charge). When the university receives the electronic copy from your test centre, they can go online to check it through the IELTS Test Report Verification Service.

So, you need to give TAMK's email contact information to your test centre in Korea, I don't see why they couldn't send the Test Report Form to them directly.
I contacted TAMK but I got "no". Though, it's very unlikely my IELTS score will not arrive to TAMK by the specified deadline cause I will use DHL, fedex or EMS premium. :) Also, I have the option to choose the discretionary admission path. Thanks for the info though!

Hippo

Post by Hippo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:03 am

For future reference, UFA sent me an automatically generated email today saying that they went through my documents and everything looks in good order. They have now forwarded the application documents to the university.

Now the wait for the GRE score report begins.