Culture Shock Finland!

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
turbodank23

Culture Shock Finland!

Post by turbodank23 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:32 pm

I bought that book of amazon.com. I think it is very good to know how to interact with finnish people and their families. I would recommend buying it. Any qusetions please ask I love to help Dan

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
-- Ernest Hemingway

Culture Shock Finland!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:35 pm

Are you talking about THIS book here:
http://www...com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=611? :wink:
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

turbodank23

Post by turbodank23 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:36 pm

yes I am
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
-- Ernest Hemingway

deeplymauritius

Post by deeplymauritius » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:32 am

I just ordered a used copy from amazon today!!
The world was once so nice and shiny then Sh*t happened

turbodank23

Post by turbodank23 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:40 am

tell me how you liked it please thanks!!!!!!
-- Ernest Hemingway

sodengiles

Post by sodengiles » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:23 pm

I ordered one from amazon last summer and thought it was really good and some points very interesting.

deeplymauritius

Post by deeplymauritius » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:25 pm

mmmm.... well guys, I thought that it was very informative and had some great practical information (though most of which I have read in many other places). However, I thought that the author had quite an irritating writing style (too much repition and cliched phrasing). Also, I thought that she/the publisher was caught in somewhat of a conflict about what overall style the book should take - hence a lot of the text was needlessly and frustratingly repeated (esp. all the info about Sauna, birch whips and honey rubbing!!!)

Overall I would say 2.5 out of 5 (informative but not that entertaining a read) On the whole I would recommend something like Russel Snyder's book (humourously titled) ' The Optimist's Guide to Finland (for business people)' I am not a business person, nor is there that much of a slant in the book, but I found this to be a very entertaining, pleasurable read that packed in just as much info as Swallow's book at the same time as maintaining a tone that was lovingly wry rather than simplistic (something I found Swallow to be guilty of). Check it out (My Finnish mother-in-law bought it for me, not sure where) publishers http://www.yrityskirjat.fi

Michael

Suksi

Post by Suksi » Sat May 15, 2004 8:45 pm

Yeah i bought a copy in WHSmith it was really good, i'm hooked on reading it it certainly gave me an insight onto how life would be when i move there only i wish she wasnt always talking about saunas i found also that she would tell you not to do things but not what you would do instead over all though i'd give it a 8/10 :!: You don't know any other books like that worth reading do you :?:

Kiitos & Nakemiin

Rakastaa

Steph :P
It's your crossword puzzle you work it out!

deeplymauritius

Post by deeplymauritius » Sun May 16, 2004 11:41 am

You shuold check out the other book I mentioned, "The optimists guide to Finland (for business people)". Like I said in my prev post, the business aspect is slightly tongue in cheek and the book is much funnier and, in some ways, practically informative than the Swallow book. Hope you can track it down as I got it as a gift from Finland. Let me know if you succeed

Michael :)

sunny

Post by sunny » Sun May 16, 2004 2:15 pm

I'd like to read this book, so I thought someone may lend it to me.
Does anyone has this book, "The optimists guide to Finland (for business people)", in Helsinki area?
I read "The lighter side of Finland (for Business People) and found it entertaining. :)

Thanks in advance!
deeplymauritius wrote:You shuold check out the other book I mentioned, "The optimists guide to Finland (for business people)". Like I said in my prev post, the business aspect is slightly tongue in cheek and the book is much funnier and, in some ways, practically informative than the Swallow book. Hope you can track it down as I got it as a gift from Finland. Let me know if you succeed

Michael :)

Suksi

Post by Suksi » Sat May 22, 2004 7:08 pm

i can get those books ordered into ottakers (i think i spelt it right) in england i went in and asked i've ordered them but i havent yet recieved them!They said theyd take a week or so to come :D

Nakemiin

Steph :P
It's your crossword puzzle you work it out!