Biotech, psychology job outlook

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
eric71

Post by eric71 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:26 pm

Hello,

I've been an . member for some time now, but this is my first posting.

My Finnish wife, daughter and I (US citizen) have been considering a move to Finland for a while now. Her family is in Kotka, so we already have a good support network there.

I've just got some general questions so we can figure out a budget and if a move is feasible. We won't be moving until I am able to find a job, which may be hard from California. I work in Biotech and have a background in dental science and molecular biology, specifically cancer research. I've been working in product support for about the last year. I'm far more interested in staying on the business side, having enjoyed the past year outside of the lab. I know my pathetic Finnish is a major drawback, but the language of science is English and I've seen some demand for foreign international product managers in Finland. A number of young companies in Turku and Helsinki are looking to market to the rest of Europe and America.

I'm just wondering if anybody is aware of the typical monthy salary someone in product management could expect in the biotech sector? If I'm unable to find that type of position, I would be willing to work in a laboratory for the short term. Any idea what type of salary a lab technician with a Masters degree makes?

Also, my wife works in mental health and has a Masters in psychology. Any idea about the job market for psychologists in Finland? How are they about liscensing people with foreign degrees?

Thanks in advance! I know the majority of this group seems to be in the computer field, but any information you have would help us in our planning.

Eric

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tom and Jerry

Re: Biotech, psychology job outlook

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:58 pm

eric71 wrote:Hello,

My Finnish wife, daughter and I (US citizen) have been considering a move to Finland for a while now. Her family is in Kotka, so we already have a good support network there.

We won't be moving until I am able to find a job,

-Good principle

which may be hard from California. I work in Biotech and have a background in dental science and molecular biology, specifically cancer research. I've been working in product support for about the last year. I'm far more interested in staying on the business side, having enjoyed the past year outside of the lab.

- I also saw regularly ads for these kind of jobs.

I know my pathetic Finnish is a major drawback,

- not so much in this specific sector you're in.

but the language of science is English and I've seen some demand for foreign international product managers in Finland. A number of young companies in Turku and Helsinki are looking to market to the rest of Europe and America.

- it's still a few major companies who share this market sector.

I'm just wondering if anybody is aware of the typical monthy salary someone in product management could expect in the biotech sector?

- perhaps my knowledge is outdated, but ok. product development in industry 30.000 - 40 000 euro/year : product development manager 35.000 - 48 000 euro/year.

If I'm unable to find that type of position, I would be willing to work in a laboratory for the short term.

- No way, once you accept that job, you're not be able to leave that level.

Also, my wife works in mental health and has a Masters in psychology.

- Finnish should be fluent, than it's ok. Otherwise forget it.

Eric
May be possible, you're in a very specific market sector, but it may take some time before you find a suitable job/employer.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:00 pm

Sorry, the quotes and the additions of my are not so clear, I marked them with the sign - .
Otherwise I have to use all these HTML additions... I hope it's clear anyhow.

eric71

Post by eric71 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:05 pm

Thanks!

My wife's Finnish is fluent, so she should have no problem. She's just concerned about whether or not the organization that grants liscences will accept her US training.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:20 pm

The OPH (opetushallitus) at http://www.oph.fi has a kind of procedure for the recognition of foreign academic degrees. It't a lot easier than ten years ago, but it requires still quite a lot of paperwork. At least you don't have to translate all papers into Finnish anymore.

The salaries I mentioned are for the industry, for people with several years of experience. Otherwise in research at public financed institutes you are in class A21-A22-A23 (2100-2500 euro/month). I believe those classes are published on the internet. Look for - palkka A21 A22 -.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:47 pm

Here you go. These and similar ones occur frequently. This one is in Salo. I don't know what laillistetun psykologin pätevyys in this respect means.
That's one of the hurdles you have to take.

Työn kuvaus:

Psykologin sijaisuus lastenpsykiatrian yksikössä. Työhön kuuluvat lastenpsykiatrian poliklinikan ja osaston psykologin tehtävät. Poliklinikka sijaitsee Salon ydinkeskustassa ja osasto Halikossa.

Kelpoisuusehtona on laillistetun psykologin pätevyys, mutta myös psykologian opintojen loppuvaiheessa olevat hakijat huomioidaan. Etusija annetaan henkilölle, jolla on kokemusta lasten ja perheiden kanssa tehtävästä kliinisestä työstä.

Hakemukset ansioluetteloineen ja työtodistusjäljennöksineen lähetetään johtava psykologi Anu Virtaselle osoitteeseen Kaarinan mielenterveyskeskus, Kiesikatu 4, 20780 Kaarina. Kirjekuoreen merkintä lastenpsykiatrian sijaisuus.

Lisätietoja sijaisuudesta antavat johtava psykologi Anu Virtanen p. 02- 276 6866, [email protected], 17.7 asti ja lastenpsykiatrian yksikön psykologi Elina Lahtinen p. 050-597 1919.

Työn kesto: 1.9.2003-30.6.2004, mahdollisesti pidempään

Palkkaus: kvtes

Työnantaja: Varsinais-Suomen sairaanhoitopiiri Salon seudun sairaala

Yhteyshenkilö:
Johtava psykologi Anja-Leena Virtanen
Kaarinan mielenterveyskeskus, Kiesikatu 4, 20780 Kaarina
02- 276 6866
[email protected]

Viimeinen hakupäivä: 31.7.2003

Lisätietoja:

http://www.salonseudunsairaala.fi/fi/Lastenpsykiatria

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:10 pm

I hope this link works. I just runover it, since I also have to go partly through this process. It is about the recognition of foreign qualifications in Finland.

http://www.oph.fi/english/SubPage.asp?p ... 6041;16553