Downhill Mountain Biking

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
JpVibe

Downhill Mountain Biking

Post by JpVibe » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:40 pm

Hi,

Are there any downhillers on here? I'm moving to Helsinki in August and will be bringing my DH bike with me with the hope of getting some riding and racing done. I have ridden at messilä before and there seems to be a pretty good scene up in Lahti, hoping to meet some people who would be traveling from the capital area and know where some more trails are. I'll also have a hardtail mtb with me for the flatter stuff.

Thanks

JP

Downhill Mountain Biking

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

palashpulsar

Re: Downhill Mountain Biking

Post by palashpulsar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:42 am

Hi,

You can try the bikepoli club: http://www.bikepoli.fi. It is Aalto University's cycling club, focusing primarily on mountain biking. The club is in Otaniemi, Espoo, about 10 km away from central Helsinki. There must be other mountain biking club as well, but I don't know much about them (since I am more interested in road biking :D )

JpVibe

Post by JpVibe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks @palashpulsar,

I'll drop a message on their forum and see if they accept outsiders/student from other Uni's. Might be interested in a bit of road biking also, been getting into it here on my Kona Paddywagon, I know it's not quite a carbon full on roadie machine but it's so much fun and theirs not to many mountains in Helsinki to tackle. This is going to be the first bike I bring over to use as a city weapon! Then as folk come to visit I'll get my other bikes brought over, that is unless I find another way to get 4 bikes over.

palashpulsar

Post by palashpulsar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:15 am

Though there is no mountain here in Finland, but there are many uphills. I am new to competitive cycling so I haven't yet built the stamina to overcome these uphills. I haven't rode much with my new road bike though.

The university clubs do accept outsiders (not students) as well as the students from other universities. For outsiders the membership fee is a little high.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:30 am

There is a path down from the Malmi landfill... other than that, south Finland is mostly quite... flat
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

cfb

Post by cfb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:19 am

I too was into DH in my younger years, but the injuries took longer and longer to repair.

However, I am surprised that the likes of Vihti Ski and the ski centre in Klaukkala don't have the odd DH trail on their winter ski slopes. I suppose you could contact the owners and lobby or volunteer to build/develop some tracks.

As Purs says, it is relatively flat.
cfb