Blueberry Pie in Finnish Style

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Nevthonien

Post by Nevthonien » Tue May 21, 2013 12:09 am

Hello :)
A few years ago I spent some time in Helsinki and got opportunity to taste delicious cake. It was called blueberry pie. Internet is full of recipes for blueberry pie but in most of them topping is mixed with crust (something like this: http://media.tumblr.com/63226db9539ba2a ... qz4rgp.jpg).
BUT in cake I ate topping was made only from Finnish "sour cream" - kermaviili - no dough. I got recipe for topping from person who made cake :
4 dl kermaviili (~2 pots)
1/2 l blueberries (~one little packet)
1/2 dl sugar
1 egg
1 little spoon vanilla sugar
Then topping is baked in the oven, placed on the crust and kept overnight at fridge.
But the thing is - when I tried to repeat this recipe in my country - I replaced kermavilli with yogurt - filling wasn't stable at all. It couldn't be sliced - it was too liquid.
Do you have any idea with what should I replace kermavilli? I suppose that lack of it was the reason for cake to be unstable ;)
Will appreciate help,
Best regards.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Blueberry Pie in Finnish Style

Post by Rosamunda » Tue May 21, 2013 12:47 am

You could use something like Philadelphia (maybe add a few drops of lemon juice) mixed with the egg. That would set for sure but it would taste more like cheescake.

Or, you could try mixing some potato flour in with the sour cream. But you definitely need something with a higher fat content than yoghurt.

Or, trying using two eggs instead of one. This recipe has only 2dl of kermaviili but two eggs:
http://www.kotikokki.net/reseptit/nayta ... apiirakka/

By the way, most of the recipes have the pastry up the sides (like any "piirakka").

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue May 21, 2013 10:54 am

Huh.. weird stuffs. My granma made the blueberry pie with the same dough as with making pulla more or less, and then the topping was blueberry jam.. I think making that involved a lot of boiling, potato flour and sugar... or then it is the blueberry juice that involved the boiling, and the huge steamer.... I was about 6 so everything was hugely big and impressive...

And the "jam" you wouldn't use for anything else except making blueberry pie... so I think it was more of a preseved blueberries - type than a jelly/marmelade though strawberries and raspberries got the same treatment... the jam was flowing, store jam is all jello... I think you might get some old-fashioned off Dronningholm though.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

jas_rho

Post by jas_rho » Tue May 21, 2013 1:10 pm

A low fat sour cream would probably be closest. Of course a high fat sour cream might taste pretty good too.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue May 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Everything high fat tastes good :lol:

Yeah, the kermaviili issue... I don't know... mascarpone? I know they do the same pie with... berries... not puolukka but the wine-berries that gives it a tart taste, so if you use something thats not exactly sweet will do... I think the idea is to get it cheese-cake-ish so using philly is a good idea actually.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla » Tue May 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Quark might work.

ritan7471

Post by ritan7471 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Yes, my mother in law uses quark in hers.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Everything high fat tastes good :lol:
:lol:

My Finnish wife explained that bread is only an excuse to eat LOTS of butter.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue May 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Godzilla wrote:Quark might work.
Yes it would.

But the problem here is the eggs. They are what make the topping set. So if it is not setting, it means there are not enough eggs in proportion to the cream/cheese...

Nevthonien

Post by Nevthonien » Wed May 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Thank you guys for tips! I'll try them :)
Hopefully sth will help ;)
Greetings from Poland.