Land of Thousand Sorry Restaurants

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
tuulen

Re: Land of Thousand Sorry Restaurants

Post by tuulen » Sun May 26, 2013 7:56 pm

DMC wrote:Tuulen wrote:
So given the number of Brits in Finland ...
What about a small shop with a Union Jack posted out front under which a sign reads, "Fish and Chips are Here" ?
Tuulen's suggestion here being that the number of Brits in Finland is enough to support a fish & chip shop.
That was not my suggestion, please. There are a number of Brits in Finland, but I then went on to say that a Brit, a Finn or anybody else could have a fish & chips shop PROVIDED that such fish & chips were made to a British standard. And my suggestion of a Union Jack was simply to distinguish British fish & chips as being unique.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

DMC

Post by DMC » Sun May 26, 2013 8:22 pm

tuulen wrote:That was not my suggestion, please.
OK. Sorry if I misunderstood you, but I didn't (still don't) see any reason to mention the number of Brits in Finland if that was not what you were trying to suggest.
I then went on to say that a Brit, a Finn or anybody else could have a fish & chips shop PROVIDED that such fish & chips were made to a British standard.
Actually no, you didn't, or at least not in the post to which I responded. I have yet to master the art of understanding what someone means using clarifications posted at a later time, so I based my understanding and my post on what you had actually written, not what you would write later :wink:

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sun May 26, 2013 8:38 pm

DMC wrote:but I didn't (still don't) see any reason to mention the number of Brits in Finland ... I have yet to master the art of understanding what someone means using clarifications posted at a later time, so I based my understanding and my post on what you had actually written, not what you would write later :wink:
Well, a successful British fish & chips shop in Finland certainly would attract British customers, of which there are quite a few. But then Finns might like British fish & chips, too! So put a Union Jack out front as advertisement.

Threads such as this one work that way, that we engage in banter, an exchange of ideas, and so a thread goes.

My point is that an authentic British fish & chips shop could succeed in Finland, no matter who operates it.

Lord of Manchester

Post by Lord of Manchester » Mon May 27, 2013 10:31 pm

tuulen wrote:
Lord of Manchester wrote:My suggestion is that Molly Malones is known in Helsinki as probably the best meeting place for peopel of all races and any food business in the immediate vicinity (providing it's good) will be a winner !!
British fish & chips are the best, but provided that fish & chips are made to a British standard, then a Brit, a Finn or anybody else could make them and have such a shop.

At the outset, however, genuine British taste-testers must be consulted, although that might be arranged simply by offering free samples, to be taste-tested for authenticity.

And on serving them do include malt vinegar! Glasses of a good ale might help, too. ;-)
tuulen, sounds to me as though your angling for a job as a Fish 'n' chip taster, mmm, it could be arranged :D all I need is the hundred grand to start up, I will put you at the top of my list as a potential food critic !!

Thanks to you all for your input, I have been seriously considering this venture for some years unfortunately the start up costs are considerable as the most important equipment is custom made and only available from England.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Wed May 29, 2013 3:00 am

Lord of Manchester wrote:tuulen, sounds to me as though your angling for a job as a Fish 'n' chip taster, mmm, it could be arranged :D all I need is the hundred grand to start up, I will put you at the top of my list as a potential food critic !!

Thanks to you all for your input, I have been seriously considering this venture for some years unfortunately the start up costs are considerable as the most important equipment is custom made and only available from England.
Thanks! BTW, I am a British citizen, as well as an American citizen, too, and British fish & chips are the best!

Yes, there is a start-up cost, no small amount that it could be. But think about it. How did fish & chips get to be such a hit in Britain? And could such fish & chips be a hit in Finland, too?

Once such a start-up has been made, such a shop could operate 7 days a week, month after month, for years.

Lord of Manchester

Post by Lord of Manchester » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Du ar rätt !!

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:38 am

Lord of Manchester wrote:Du ar rätt !!
Han har rätt.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:57 am

Lord of Manchester wrote:Thanks to you all for your input, I have been seriously considering this venture for some years unfortunately the start up costs are considerable as the most important equipment is custom made and only available from England.
In addition to fish & chips, consider also adding lox (thinly sliced salmon), bagel and cream cheese sandwiches, too, all of which could be done in a relatively small roadside shop. On this same forum I started a thread about that topic. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=49932 Such sandwiches are popular in the US, particularly in New York City.

There is no cooking involved, and because the salmon supply must be fresh only a relatively small amount of refrigeration is necessary for such small quantities, and the same could be said about the cream cheese, too.

Then customers could have a choice about what they could want.

Anyway, that is another option for you to consider.

CH

Post by CH » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:44 am

tuulen wrote:There is no cooking involved, and because the salmon supply must be fresh only a relatively small amount of refrigeration is necessary for such small quantities
Well... I haven't seen actual lox sold here, so one would have to do the curing/brining themselves. Not too big thing to do, but still... not exactly "no cooking". (Hmm... the recipes I found seems to be a mix of curing, brining, and cold smoking... some had all three steps, some seemed to have only curing and use instead smoked salt to give the smoked taste). Anyway, one could use the Finnish versions, either graavattu lohi (gravlax) or kylmäsavulohi (cold smoked salmon). I guess cold smoked salmon would be pretty close to lox.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:30 pm

CH wrote:Not too big thing to do, but still... not exactly "no cooking".
OK, but lox is not a difficult food to prepare, smoked lox being optional although quite good. Then again, bottles of liquid smoke (hickory smoke, mesquite smoke and other smoke flavors) are available, too, and a small amount of that liquid could be added to the brine which the salmon gets cured in, as a good substitute for actual smoking. Lox, bagel and cream cheese sandwiches seem to be a good addition to a fish & chips shop. And your link to lox shows just what I am talking about, thank you. Here is another picture. Mmm, they are good!

CH

Post by CH » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Oh... and would need to make the bagels, too. I haven't found bagels here that taste and feel the same as the US ones.

I do agree that bagels + cream cheese + lox is a truly wonderful combination. But... we do have rye + cold smoked salmon sandwiches at almost any café and that combination is in my opinion pretty equal to the bagel combination. You can even sometimes find bagels with cold smoked salmon and cream cheese, although, as I said, the bagels aren't quite there yet.

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Bagels are traditional here, but almost any mild-flavored bread could substitute, the idea being to not overpower the flavors of the fish and the cream cheese. Then maybe a little bit of onion, a slice of tomato and/or lettuce, then top with a sprinkle of pepper and that makes a great sandwich!

notnice

Post by notnice » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:31 pm

This is a country where food is to fill up the stomach and not to be enjoyed. Taste and flavour plays ro real part in daily diet.

Fortuanately, we have some very good restaurants in Oulu which keeps us alive with good food.
1. Hugo (Fine dining Scandinavian, should be considered as one of the best in Finland if no grouping politics is involved)
2. Indian Cuisine (Quality Indian, should be considered and is being considered as the best Indian in Finland)
3. Hella (Quality Finnish again personally think it to be one of the best in Finland)
4. Pikku thai (Quality Thai and Viet)

There are 50 odd more places to eat in Oulu but, none can be termed will give us happy memories.

Been in other cities in Finland but, not any such happy memories.