Finnish song - can somebody please help me?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Fluger

Post by Fluger » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Hei!

Flying one of Finnair's prehistoric jets on a recent flight to Helsinki, I took advantage of the plane's limited entertainment system and tuned in to one of the radio channels. It was mostly Finnish music, and one of the songs--a catchy pop thing--really captured my fancy. Since I speak not a word of Finnish, I could not make out a single word, and so I cannot locate the song by Googling a few words from the lyrics. But the fragments of the song are still clear in my head, although it's been a few weeks.

This has become something of an obsession. I have contacted both Finnair's CSR and their entertainment director, to no avail. I have tried to search with various strings. All in vain!

Short of boarding the plane again, I thought I'd try my luck here.

I have ridiculously little information, but the song had a "hit-like" feel to it and could have easily been famous in Finland at one point or another, so perhaps the planets will align and someone will recognize it.

The song is performed by a female (a young cute voice), and the song starts and ends with the following: "pa-ra-ra...pa-ra-ra-ra...pa-ra-ra...pa-ra-ra-ra." It also appears in the refrain. It could also be "pa-da-da" or maybe "ta-da-da" or "ta-ra-ra" - it's not very easy to make out the subtleties on a plane in motion.

Does anybody have a clue?

My gratitude will be boundless and eternal.

Thank you all for any help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Finnish song - can somebody please help me?

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:10 pm

:shock:
song starts and ends with the following: "pa-ra-ra...pa-ra-ra-ra...pa-ra-ra...pa-ra-ra-ra." It also appears in the refrain.
:lol:

Need a bit more info..is ist like modern, guitars, synths...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:18 pm

kaikki tietää sen, sä oot sellainen, ihan karvainen...

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Chisu? Jenni Vartiainen? Anna Puu?

Fluger

Post by Fluger » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Thank you all for responding!

Ooo, this is going to be tricky....

It's definitely neither of the two video links. The song is modern. On the romantic side. Something a wistful 17-year-old girl might find appealing. No guitars. The song couldn't be more than 3 min. in duration. I've checked a few of the names mentioned on Youtube....The voice sounded quite similar to this Chisu lady, but then again...

Before this "pa-ra-ra" thing, the refrain ended with the word that seemed sound like "trinkalein" -- or so my non-Finnish ears have distorted it, since there is no such word in the Finnish-English dictionary.

I know this all isn't very helpful...

Ideas?

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Fluger wrote:I have ridiculously little information, but the song had a "hit-like" feel to it and could have easily been famous in Finland at one point or another, so perhaps the planets will align and someone will recognize it.

The song is performed by a female (a young cute voice), and the song starts and ends with the following: "pa-ra-ra...pa-ra-ra-ra...pa-ra-ra...pa-ra-ra-ra." It also appears in the refrain. It could also be "pa-da-da" or maybe "ta-da-da" or "ta-ra-ra" - it's not very easy to make out the subtleties on a plane in motion.
It will probably be difficult to find the song with such little in the way of cues. But you already acknowledge that.

For what it’s worth, you might want to check out this thread and my two Spotify playlists (#1, #2) showcasing Finnish mainstream pop/rock hits & classics (the playlists feature some other genres, too, but mostly pop and rock.)
znark

Fluger

Post by Fluger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:55 pm

Thank you to all who took the trouble to respond.

I must have seen no fewer than fifty different clips on Youtube over the past day.

This is looking ever more like mission impossible at this point!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Well... umm.. ahh this?

Fluger

Post by Fluger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Pursuivant,

Thank you - unfortunately, that's not it, although her voice is similar. I've Youtubed every song in Chisu's four albums, and came up blank. :(

Smedju

Post by Smedju » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:17 am

Did it sound anyway near to some international artist?

And what music style?
Last edited by Smedju on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Smedju

Post by Smedju » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:02 am

There isn't many female performers that might go to that category of your's if you already checked all the ones mentioned above...

Could it be Jannika B ?

Fluger

Post by Fluger » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:59 am

Smedju,

Thank you for responding. I have listened to a few songs by Jennika B - I don't think it's her.

The voice of the singer was very, very "sexy", and youthful too. The song had a quick tempo to it, but it was definitely pop (no dance flavours). The first word of the refrain sounded like "katse..." and the last word sounded like "gringolein" or "trinkolein" (I am sure the Finns must be cringing at my attempts to reproduce Finnish words).

I have listened to every song by Chisu. Anna Puu I've checked out a few, but I don't think it's her. The voice is frankly a bit different. And it definitely doesn't sound like Jenni Vartiainen.

The music on that plane was prerecorded, culled from some Finnish radio station. Since the plane was old, this song could have been a hit from 2003 or 2006, and it might have been one of those one-hit wonders. In which case, I am knocking my heads against a wall (as if there were any doubts about this). :)

I should have asked the friendly coffee girls at Helsinki Airport - I could have performed a rendition, and they might have recognized it!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:15 am

Try to remember a a bit more... these challenges are fun :wink:

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Fluger wrote:The first word of the refrain sounded like "katse..." and the last word sounded like "gringolein" or "trinkolein" (I am sure the Finns must be cringing at my attempts to reproduce Finnish words).

Fluger wrote:I have listened to every song by Chisu. Anna Puu I've checked out a few, but I don't think it's her. The voice is frankly a bit different. And it definitely doesn't sound like Jenni Vartiainen.
Singers: Katri Ylander, Laura Närhi, Emma Salokoski, Anna Abreu, Anna Eriksson, Jippu, Stella, Mariska, Irina, Johanna Kurkela, Kaija Koo, Jonna Tervomaa, Erin, Suvi Teräsniska, Vuokko Hovatta, ...

Bands/Groups: Scandinavian Music Group, PMMP, Aikakone, Nylon Beat, Ultra Bra, Gimmel, Tiktak, Taikapeili, Mascara... (OK, scraping the bottom of the barrel here...)
Last edited by Jukka Aho on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
znark

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Thats the first of Jukka's Jonna Geagea you can see outside Finland