Violence, physical, mental and/or sexual - where to turn

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
enk

Post by enk » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:21 pm

I wouldn't say it's normal at all in Finland. I prefer to think of
it that I found a bad apple in the bunch. Many people have commented
though that their spouses have radically changed when they've come
back to Finland, no matter how long they had lived abroad. This was
true in my case, too, although the change wasn't so radical, although
looking back, my ex nowadays compared to when we lived in the
States is completely different, the change just was apparently more
gradual.

Soyyo: :thumbsup:

-enk

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

linnea

Re: Violence, physical, mental and/or sexual - where to turn

Post by linnea » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:42 pm

One more:
Victim Support Finland
Support and advice for victims of crime (violence and other)
Telephone help-line 0203 16118 in Finnish and English Mon-Wed 3 to 6 pm

zeanna

Post by zeanna » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:33 pm

I recently was in contact with someone from this organisation:
Rikosuhri Päivystys (Victim Support 'on call' i think you could translate it as?!)

http://www.riku.fi

it doesnt look like such a friendly site and it also looks like its all in finnish but theres a phone number at the top and on the left hand side a link for "victim support" where the info is in english and I found them really helpful.

They offer support and advice (as well as where you can turn to) to victims or witnesses of any crimes.

enk

Post by enk » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:13 pm

Thanks zeanna for another good link!

-enk

luckykitty

Post by luckykitty » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanks for posting this Enk!
It will be very helpful for people who moved here because its usually hard to find this information :o (like the language barrier, plus not many advertisements for these services). I didn't know there were so many different places for help! I think its a nice thing about Finland, that most people can get help if they know where to look.

fatherchristmas

Post by fatherchristmas » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm

I just signed up to find information about where I could turn to when repeated bullying and threats are not treated seriously by my child's school. Thanks for the information here. I will call some of these places and see if anyone can help me. :x

enk

Post by enk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:40 pm

We've got that situation going on in my sons' school right now and I've said that the
next time the bully touches my son, I will file a police report as every last time
the kid has bullied someone it has resulted in bodily injury.

The school is poopooing the whole thing and it seems like the principal is just
trying to wait it out until the end of the school year.

Some other things that I was told we could do: file a lastensuojailmoitus
about the bully, call the school's kuraattori, etc.

Hopefully you find a solution to the problem faster than we have.

-enk

fatherchristmas

Post by fatherchristmas » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:25 pm

enk wrote:We've got that situation going on in my sons' school right now and I've said that the
next time the bully touches my son, I will file a police report as every last time
the kid has bullied someone it has resulted in bodily injury.

The school is poopooing the whole thing and it seems like the principal is just
trying to wait it out until the end of the school year.

Some other things that I was told we could do: file a lastensuojailmoitus
about the bully, call the school's kuraattori, etc.

Hopefully you find a solution to the problem faster than we have.

-enk
Thank you for your response. The situation at present is that I wrote to the school and informed them of my lack of faith in their handling of the situation and that it seems like I have no option other than to involve social services and the police. The school has suddenly taken some concrete action after this threat but I feel the intervention was done in an insensitive manner. My child, the victim of the bullying, still feels like she did something wrong because of the way it was handled. I have an appointment with social services soon and will definitely be pursuing the matter further.

enk

Post by enk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:18 pm

Cory: in this case, one of the times the bully tried throwing a kid off the top of the
jungle gym. The school didn't even bother to tell the parents about it; they found
out from other parents. I've also not been informed ever by the school or the
teacher about what the bully's been doing to my son (biting him, strangling him, etc.).
One of the problems we have about filing a police report about is that we have
no idea the actual date anything has occurred since the school is keeping us in the
dark about anything having gone on.

Father: please stick up for your daughter. I hope that your situation works out better
than ours has.

-enk

fatherchristmas

Post by fatherchristmas » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:09 pm

enk wrote:Cory: in this case, one of the times the bully tried throwing a kid off the top of the
jungle gym. The school didn't even bother to tell the parents about it; they found
out from other parents. I've also not been informed ever by the school or the
teacher about what the bully's been doing to my son (biting him, strangling him, etc.).
One of the problems we have about filing a police report about is that we have
no idea the actual date anything has occurred since the school is keeping us in the
dark about anything having gone on.

Father: please stick up for your daughter. I hope that your situation works out better
than ours has.

-enk
Your case sounds very similar to my own case enk! I had to hear a lot of these details from her school mates and their parents. It had become so normalized that she stopped reporting it. It's also hard to report things weeks after the fact. Apparently teachers supervising on the playground were simply ignoring kids' complaints. What is stranger still was that after I said I would involve social services and the police, my mother in law started getting nervous. She tried to talk my wife out of doing it. Are people so afraid of official government or police involvement here? Is the culture to turn a blind eye to a glaring problem? My wife has not lived here for 15 years so her approach is more confrontational than the average Fin I've come across.

tizlit

Post by tizlit » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:39 am

Author has removed this message.
Last edited by tizlit on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raskarhu

Post by raskarhu » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:09 pm

tizlit wrote:QUOTE
Another fact, foreigners moving here most likely change during the years, they become "one" with the "system", like brainwashed or something. :roll:
If you confront a Finn with a problem, they tend to turn a blind eye, do not take critisism well at all, I have opened my mouth in few occasions, with cultural association meetings etc, and was told that I was too negative, when in fact, was stating only some truths on their faces. But they cannot swallow it.
No, Tizlit, you are not stating some truths, you are a whining foreigner and should turn back to your country since you're not accepting every little aspect of Finnish culture... :evil:

tizlit

Post by tizlit » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:30 am

My dear raskarhu - I AM in my own country, Finland, barefoot Finn as I am. One more proof, that if one writes some "truths" the Finns cannot simply take it.

GTI

Post by GTI » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:54 pm

I suppose this is related to this topic:

http://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/ ... enDocument

From there, you can print various PDF files for different offense reports, such as reporting stolen property, stolen/lost fire arm etc.

Deliver one of those to your local police dept.

TeppoKroatialainen

Post by TeppoKroatialainen » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:26 am

raskarhu wrote:
tizlit wrote:QUOTE
Another fact, foreigners moving here most likely change during the years, they become "one" with the "system", like brainwashed or something. :roll:
If you confront a Finn with a problem, they tend to turn a blind eye, do not take critisism well at all, I have opened my mouth in few occasions, with cultural association meetings etc, and was told that I was too negative, when in fact, was stating only some truths on their faces. But they cannot swallow it.
No, Tizlit, you are not stating some truths, you are a whining foreigner and should turn back to your country since you're not accepting every little aspect of Finnish culture... :evil:
i think this was meant to be sarcastic :)