Resident permit on family ties, fast and efficient

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jkmonto

Post by jkmonto » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:56 am

Hi,

We agreed with my wife about telling to the forum our experience after reading other people problems and struggles with their residence permit.
So, My wife is Finnish and I am a Non EU citizen. After travelling together for a year around the world she decided to come back to Finland and finish her University studies. I decided to follow her and I found myself in Finland, we were not married yet. So things seemed quite complicated here but we decided to get married. We got married in Helsingin käräjäoikeus, civil ceremony, in this place they didn't have any queue for marriages as in maistraatti. So we could have gotten the date of the ceremony for the next day, we just needed to get the proof of non impediment to marry. Which we did in maistraatti and we had to wait 7 days to get, why 7 days? because 7 days is the time that the rest of the citizens have to manifest their objections about the marriage, so this time can't be reduced.
Then we had the ceremony, very simple and fast. After that, maybe two days later, I went to the immigration police office in Pasila, they said that I had to wait almost 2 months to get an appointment to present my application. So I asked if I could apply in another police station different from my place of residence, they were a little bit ambiguous in their answer but I inferred that I could apply anywhere I wanted, just they don't say it too loud. So I asked for an appointment in Salo, which had a lot of free time to receive applications, I got the appointment for 2 days after I asked for it. In Salo they were very friendly and they received all our documents without any problem. They said that the police would contact me if they need more information or when the permit was ready. After only 1 month and 3 weeks, Helsinki Police called my wife and tell her that my permit was ready to pick up, which we did right away. Now I got my permit and I can start a normal life in Finland.
In my humble opinion, this procedure was really efficient and easy. I had lived as a resident in other European countries and I can tell you that the waiting time is no less than 3 months for other residence permits. So I'm quite happy with the service they provided.

By the way, even if they tell you that you can't present your application in other city it is not true, they can't deny to receive you application.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

bm50
AKA cockney

Re: Resident permit on family ties, fast and efficient

Post by bm50 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi,

Interesting story but you did not need a non impediment certificate from your embassy?

cors187

Post by cors187 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:14 pm

I can tell you that the waiting time is no less than 3 months for other residence permits.
Great :thumbsup:

jkmonto

Post by jkmonto » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:11 am

bm50 wrote:Interesting story but you did not need a non impediment certificate from your embassy?
Well, in my country of origin such document doesn't exist, because we can get married and no one to know about it unless you register the marriage. So what they told me they normally do is to make a "Sworn statement of unmarried status" or something like that. It was just a statement signed by me and by the consul in which said I wasn't married. They accepted it quite easily.

I also forgot to mention, that we are practically broke, my wife is a student and so I was before moving to finland. However, they never asked for any proof of our financial means.

Sleepstream

Post by Sleepstream » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Did the Salo police not inquire about why you went there for the permit application?

And now that Pasila is the only immigration police office in Helsinki, the queues are terrible. Malmi was typically less busy, so permits were processed faster.

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:23 am

jkmonto wrote: I also forgot to mention, that we are practically broke, my wife is a student and so I was before moving to finland. However, they never asked for any proof of our financial means
So, My wife is Finnish
Means testing in not done when your partner is Finnish.

Sleepstream

Post by Sleepstream » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:01 pm

I'm wondering if this means I can go outside of Helsinki for a similar permit.

Have to wait until January to get an appointment in Pasila.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Im pretty sure the Auto appointment system asks for your address and full details .If the booking is finalized then the service knows your address and gave you the booking.
https://poliisi.ajanvaraus.fi/rmslocale ... geField=en

koelsche_buckeye

Post by koelsche_buckeye » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:02 am

It doesn't matter which police station that you go to. I will be living in Espoo and when I called the police to schedule an appointment after having trouble with the website, they searched for an appointment that fit my schedule in a couple different police stations in region as I am still working in Germany. I received an appointment in Kirkkonummi and there was no issue with going there.

jkmonto

Post by jkmonto » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:31 pm

You can go even to Rovaniemi if you want to skip the line in Helsinki. ANY police station in Finland will receive your application and the processing time will be less too. Just do the appointment via the website. It doesn't matter if you don't live in the same region. Even when I went to Pasila to get my residence permit, I asked about the ID Card, they told me to go to another police station to get it faster than in Helsinki, I'll be going to Salo again I think.

And yes, They don't test your means when your partner is Finnish IF YOU ARE MARRIED, it doesn't apply for cohabiting couples, in that case, you need some proof that you can sustain yourself.
Im pretty sure the Auto appointment system asks for your address and full details .If the booking is finalized then the service knows your address and gave you the booking.
Are you Sure as ? : " I already have applied for a residence permit and I wasn't able to submit it in another police station different from where I live"
or sure as? "I just say whatever I want without any proof and because I like to invent stories"

cors187

Post by cors187 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:13 pm

jkmonto wrote: just say whatever I want without any proof and because I like to invent stories"
Then you've integrated already!

Zakumi

Post by Zakumi » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:29 am

jkmonto wrote:You can go even to Rovaniemi if you want to skip the line in Helsinki. ANY police station in Finland will receive your application and the processing time will be less too. Just do the appointment via the website. It doesn't matter if you don't live in the same region. Even when I went to Pasila to get my residence permit, I asked about the ID Card, they told me to go to another police station to get it faster than in Helsinki, I'll be going to Salo again I think.

And yes, They don't test your means when your partner is Finnish IF YOU ARE MARRIED, it doesn't apply for cohabiting couples, in that case, you need some proof that you can sustain yourself.
Are you Sure as ? : " I already have applied for a residence permit and I wasn't able to submit it in another police station different from where I live"
or sure as? "I just say whatever I want without any proof and because I like to invent stories"
Just few experinces of my own to the thread. When my partner applied his RP we applied in Tampere but when we moved to Helsinki while the application was still being processed they transferred the RP processing to Pasila since our permanent address was there.

Also we applied based on cohabitation and we didn´t have to submit any income proof ( I´m Finnish).

jkmonto

Post by jkmonto » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:55 pm

we were told by the policeman that received our application that it didn't matter where you apply. all the applications go after to Pasila because it is the only department for immigration in Finland. Then, when the permit is ready, pasila sends the permit to the police station where you live. I applied in Salo and my permit was delivered in Pasila.
I have a question. How did they asked you to prove the cohabitation? we only gave them the contract of the place where we live and the marriage certificate. But we wondered which papers they ask for non married couples

Zakumi

Post by Zakumi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:03 am

We obviously had lived together more than 2 years. They could see from maistraatti that we had resided in the same address together for over a year in Finland. We also had lived together about 9 months before that in Finland but our official addresses were different. However I basically lived with my partner and was able to prove it with my work contract and salary slips that were addressed to his residence (my mistake that I kept my address elsewhere). Before our time in Finland I lived in his country for a while and was able to show a rent contract with our names on it and we added a statement from our landlord that had a local police stamp and signature to put some weight on that paper.

My partner had two student RPs before this one so that might have had an impact as well since he could have applied another student RP if the family one was not going to be successful. I guess the ways to prove the cohabitation are many but definately having the same address registered in maistraatti helps a lot...especially with paperwork :P

Zakumi

Post by Zakumi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:20 am

Oh yes to add one more thing. I had to provide copies of all the pages of my passport that had markings on them. So that way they were able to see my visas I had for his country and when I had enterd and exited the country. So it can be a little hassle with all the papers and copying but he got his permit in 2,5 months and this RP we applied in Malmi :)