Cheddar Cheese

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
daveba

Cheddar Cheese

Post by daveba » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Is it available in supermarkets? I checked previous threads and they mention that it is now available in K-citymarket or S market etc. but I haven't seen it (maybe I haven't searched hard enough). Is it easily available or only in Stockmann etc. Also are there any local varieties which are similar? Thanks.

Cheddar Cheese

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Cheddar Cheese

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:26 pm

It's in all the main supermarkets including Lidl. Pilgrim's Choice and McLelland Seriously Strong is another. Both are OK but neither is authentic West Country Farmhouse Cheddar if you are looking for the real gritty stuff. Stockmann probably has a choice too. There is nothing in FInland that tastes the same as West Country Cheddar but if you are just looking for a meltable hard cheese then something like Musta Emmental is sort of close.
Are you British or American?

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:12 pm

There's also the new Oltermanni Cheddar, if you want something that's not quite Oltermanni and not quite cheddar.

daveba

Post by daveba » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:35 am

Thanks Rosamunda and jahasjahas. I will check those out. Rosamunda, I'm British.

misu

Post by misu » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:47 am

Aside from the ones already mentioned there's also Cathedral City cheddar which I've found at both Prisma and C-market. I haven't gotten it in months though...I hope they're still carrying it. The extra mature kind in the dark package is especially my favorite. Lately I've been getting the Valley Spire cheddar from Lidl which comes in a massive (compared to the other brands/stores) brick and is a great value. It's pretty tasty too, imo. However, I'm not British so I'm not terribly familiar with what's proper or authentic, etc.

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:05 am

Don't actually take the Oltermanni Cheddar as a recommendation unless you get really desperate.

daveba

Post by daveba » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks Misu, I will look out for the valley spire too.

It seems that I've not been looking hard enough. jahasjahas, point taken!

misu

Post by misu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:05 am

jahasjahas wrote: Oltermanni Cheddar
Looked up a pic of this as I had no idea it existed. And no wonder I've missed it. The packaging barely distinguishes it from their usual kermajuusto. So, for anyone who's tried it, how does it taste?

Edit: Well, I guess no one's tried it. I looked at it at the store and it looks exactly like their kermajuusto -- the same consistency, texture, color, everything. I don't know how that's even possible. Kermajuusto and cheddar should look nothing alike.

sppuuddy

Post by sppuuddy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:32 pm

And now the valley spire in very thick slices in lidl is much better than the other valley spire, much deeper colour and taste, best chedder have found in Finland in 10 years

AnnieRoss

Post by AnnieRoss » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:46 pm

misu wrote:The extra mature kind in the dark package is especially my favorite. Lately I've been getting the Valley Spire cheddar from Lidl which comes in a massive (compared to the other brands/stores) brick and is a great value. It's pretty tasty too, imo. However, I'm not British so I'm not terribly familiar with what's proper or authentic, etc.
I'm not British either but have had this before when in Europe and agree it is great! Glad to hear a bit of cheddar can be found. Hoping to be out in Finland in the new year, for a few months or so, so good to hear there there will be at least one 'home' comfort! :D

Post by 007 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:55 pm

misu wrote: Kermajuusto and cheddar should look nothing alike.
and i watched after visiting this thread -> , 0:00-0:13 proudly and loudly finnish version! ya..., drew few chuckles outta me.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

African Girl

Post by African Girl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:31 am

For the cheapest and best-value cheddar you will probably ever find in Finland, get it at Lidl in the "biggest" chunk you will probably ever find as well (Valley Spire). It is also quite tasty!

Oltermanni cheddar is nothing like cheddar at all! It is like the normal kermajuusto with just slightly more flavor. I suppose they are trying to appeal to Finns, of course.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:23 pm

Pilgrim's Choice and Cathedral City are widely available, Dubliner is - for me - the best one available year round, I've bought some nice individual waxed cheddar from our local S-Market around xmas time (when they've also been selling Famous 2.5)

The cheddar Oltermanni - surely an admission of how bad Oltermanni is that they have to make it taste like something else?The adverts make me laugh - cheese flavoured cheese - who'd have thunk it?

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:10 am

Ah! I knew someone would bring up the ridiculous Oltermanni “Cheddar” here. Was not disappointed.
znark

harryc

Post by harryc » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:25 pm

What's the latest news among cheddar fans?

I didn't get a chance to get the Vintage Cheddar that Lidl had on a special Thursday-deal a couple of weeks ago. Anybody try it?

The Valley Spire mature is good - but I know I've still had better in my life (have even been to Cheddar a couple of times).

I just tried Seriously Strong Extra Mature from Scotland (??) - got it at K-Super/Lsaari. Was 17-18€ kg - not really bad but strange Chloride-type taste and bit off after-taste.