Henkilötunnus and Tax Card

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
chrislaa

Post by chrislaa » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi,

I'm moving from the UK to Helsinki in the next couple of weeks, and my permanent employment starts on the 24th February.

I need to apply for registration (and get my henkilötunnus). I have a rental agreement on my apartment, my passport, employment contract etc. However, I've been told that I can't apply until my employment contract begins. Two very quick questions...

1) Is this right? It means that I can't get started with anything (opening bank accounts, etc) for ages...
2) Does this mean that I can't get a tax card until after I've started working? Can I even get paid without a tax card?

Thanks!

Chris

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

cors187

Re: Henkilötunnus and Tax Card

Post by cors187 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:00 pm

chrislaa wrote:Hi,

I'm moving from the UK to Helsinki in the next couple of weeks, and my permanent employment starts on the 24th February.

I need to apply for registration (and get my henkilötunnus). I have a rental agreement on my apartment, my passport, employment contract etc. However, I've been told that I can't apply until my employment contract begins. Two very quick questions...

1) Is this right? It means that I can't get started with anything (opening bank accounts, etc) for ages...
2) Does this mean that I can't get a tax card until after I've started working? Can I even get paid without a tax card?

Thanks!

Chris
Pretty sure you have everything to start all the application on the day of arrival.

chrislaa

Post by chrislaa » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Yeah, I thought so too. But the Maistraatti offices have told me that I can't get registered until my contract begins on the 24th.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:48 pm

chrislaa wrote: 1) Is this right? It means that I can't get started with anything (opening bank accounts, etc) for ages...
Banks are allowed to open you an account without the national id number. Of course it's probably easier with one.
chrislaa wrote: 2) Does this mean that I can't get a tax card until after I've started working? Can I even get paid without a tax card?
Yes but without a tax card the withholding percent is 60%. If you are withhold 60%, you can apply for a smaller percentage later on though.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:53 am

Well you won't get paid before the end of the month anyways, so you have ample time. What you can do is go get your "police paper" done and go just for the heck of it to the tax office, they can do the paperwork and send it to the Maistraatti so thats one headache less...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

cors187

Post by cors187 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:04 am

chrislaa wrote:Yeah, I thought so too. But the Maistraatti offices have told me that I can't get registered until my contract begins on the 24th.
You ask the company to make another contact stating your date of arrival and the interim between the entry date and the date when you will start full-time work.
If you include some txt from the work contract and deliberately mention that full-time work start on "this date", this new contract shows some meeting with company and meeting to attend ,it can work.
Its an addition that allows you to get all your stuff done and turn up to work on the start date.

I have employed a lot of EU and I personally never trust word of mouth, there is a lot of preparation for the company and if for some reason it doesn't work out , we loose time and money. In short, before you turn up to a work environment the company has the tax card.
Its common practice.

chrislaa

Post by chrislaa » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks all for your advice. I might try to get my employer to change the contract I guess. Otherwise it's going to be a long time before I get paid (they've said they need my henkilötunnus, tax card and bank account before they can pay me).

Out of curiosity, would it make a difference if I say I'm moving in (co-habiting) with my Finnish partner?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:54 pm

chrislaa wrote:Thanks all for your advice. I might try to get my employer to change the contract I guess. Otherwise it's going to be a long time before I get paid (they've said they need my henkilötunnus, tax card and bank account before they can pay me).

Out of curiosity, would it make a difference if I say I'm moving in (co-habiting) with my Finnish partner?
The bank account does not have to be Finnish. As long as it accepts SEPA payments it should be fine. Tax card they probably say because they want to spare you from withholding 60%.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:23 pm

You can get the tax card in just a few days and the secretaries need a few days to get it into their system (at least at a bigger company). So you´ll pay 60% taxes on your first six days of working (you get the money back later, it´s not gone), and you have the first two weeks or so of the next month to fix the tax card. Don´t stress so much about this.
Your employer also does not NEED (but of course WANTS) an id number on a contract. It can always be added later.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:50 pm

You don't get paid daily, you have at least a month before the 1st payroll run is so WTF is your peoples problem?
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."