One delayed payment of tax, can it effect Citizenship app?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ahmedkhan

Post by ahmedkhan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:28 am

Hello,

I applied for Finnish citizenship a few months ago, but after that I had a ennakovero bill to pay which I forgot and went abroad for a couple of months. The bill went to Ulosottoviraasto, but when I came back I contacted Ulosotto and paid the bill.
Unfortunately another bill (not tax) went to some collection company (intrum justi... something), and they later forwarded it to bailiff for collection, he called me while I was abroad, and asked me to pay as soon I get back, and that's exactly what I did, case dismissed without any charges. All bills cleared.

For past many years I have been regular with bills but these two unfortunate cases happened this year. I wonder if this behavior can effect my citizenship application?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: One delayed payment of tax, can it effect Citizenship ap

Post by Rip » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:40 am

Since the problem was apparently solved while your application was still waiting to be processed, I would not expect it to cause problems

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:20 am

The relevant part of the relevant section (13) of the Nationality Act goes according to the unofficial translation:

An alien is granted Finnish citizenship on application if, when the decision is made on the application: he or she has not materially failed to provide maintenance or to meet his or her
pecuniary obligations under public law;

http://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokset ... 030359.pdf

Since they look at the situation when deciding on the application it's probably fine as Rip said. If they deny your application, you likely have a good case to appeal by showing the travel documents which prove that you weren't around to read your mail.

homeuser

Post by homeuser » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:15 am

Hello ahmedkhan,

Have you got your citizenship application result (You must have got by now :))

Did it (your case with ulosotto) create any impact on your decision ?

Thanks,