Driving licence

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Raheemah

Driving licence

Post by Raheemah » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:01 pm

I am an experienced driver with years of driving of many kinds and types of vehicles under my belt. However I started driving illegally when I was underage and by the time I reached 18 war come and with it the government was gone and driving licences were no longer issued. After that point I had different kinds of cars and a van for a while, I drove everything from a scooter to a bus. Now I'd like to get a driving licence here in Finland. I want to find the quickest but more to the point the cheapest way to do so (legally if I might add at this point) My friend told me that in Sweden it is possible to have a "home schooling" system for your driving test, where you learn how to drive at home and come to take the test. That seems the best option as I already know how to drive. The only question is is this available here in Finland? And if not does anyone know any driving schools (preferably in English) that can give me some sort of "shortcut" where I don't have to start all the way from the start. That way I'd save some time and hopefully some money

PS. I am a student so my budget is quite low and would like to rap this up during the summer holiday because I am busy with school when school starts again. Also I am hoping to find a place that can give some sort of a student discount.

Driving licence

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Driving licence

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Raheemah wrote: My friend told me that in Sweden it is possible to have a "home schooling" system for your driving test, where you learn how to drive at home and come to take the test. That seems the best option as I already know how to drive. The only question is is this available here in Finland? And if not does anyone know any driving schools (preferably in English) that can give me some sort of "shortcut" where I don't have to start all the way from the start. That way I'd save some time and hopefully some money
Yes homeschooling is possible. However, you do need someone to be your teacher and a car modified to have pedals in the passenger seat. In Finnish this is called opetuslupa:

http://www.trafi.fi/tieliikenne/ajokort ... opetuslupa
Raheemah wrote: PS. I am a student so my budget is quite low and would like to rap this up during the summer holiday because I am busy with school when school starts again. Also I am hoping to find a place that can give some sort of a student discount.
I would check these people as they are directed towards engineering students: http://www.teekkarienautokoulu.fi

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:16 pm

No. You need an xnum "hours on the road" by an instructor. And the night and slippery.

For the OP - it costs what it costs - theres no shortcuts.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:42 am

And maybe learning how to drive in Finnish Winter conditions. Do you know how to do that? Might be worth paying for some lessons to learn it. For the sake of your safety and other drivers.

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:53 am

Raheemah wrote:cheapest
:mrgreen: I had my licence revoked in my home country and had to take it again in Finland. Cost nearly €2000. You have to go to lectures a few times a week, do the lessons, take a theory test, go to the slippery track, then you have the licence for a provisional period then its more lectures and slippery track again.

I did it here

www.autokouluhakaniemi.fi

faronel

Post by faronel » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:16 pm

Why not to consider Estonian driver's license instead? These cost around 700 euro in Estonia which would cost you 3 less than it would have been in Finland. If you are as qualified as you claim you are, you may negotiate with teachers from a private driver's school for a "quicker progress version". This version means that if the teachers agree to your proposal, you can go for a few try-out driving lessons where they can assess your driving skills and knowledge of theory. If you show your proper expertise, there should not be any problem to be shown a green light to school theory and driving exams. From that, to national (official) exams.
P.S. You do have to consider the travel costs to Estonian etc.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:28 pm

faronel wrote:Why not to consider Estonian driver's license instead?
Possible if the OP is willing to consider moving to Estonia in order to do it.

http://www.mnt.ee/index.php?id=15467
Right to drive a power-driven vehicle is granted to a person:
1) whose permanent residence is in Estonia;

Raheemah

Post by Raheemah » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:20 pm

irnbru wrote: :mrgreen: I had my licence revoked in my home country and had to take it again in Finland. Cost nearly €2000. You have to go to lectures a few times a week, do the lessons, take a theory test, go to the slippery track, then you have the licence for a provisional period then its more lectures and slippery track again.

I did it here

http://www.autokouluhakaniemi.fi
Well that is the sort of thing I had in mind, few theoretical lessons and few practical lessons. It does not make sense for me to start from ground zero just like some one who have never driven a car in their life. But 2000 still sounds like a lot of money?! I was hoping for something a bit cheaper.

I have however checked the driving school that you gave me the link for, it is very convenient that it is very close to where I live, so I'm going to go there and see if they can help me out.

Thanks for your help.

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:00 am

You have to do the lectures, slippery track (twice) and the theory test no matter what. U might be able to cut down the practical lessons to save some cash.

obakesan

revive an old thread (was Re: Driving licence)

Post by obakesan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi

I find myself back in Finland again, living out in Pohjois Karjala and wondering about getting my Finnish Drivers Licence.

I have held an Australian Drivers Licence for decades now and I was under the impression that I could obtain a Finnish one for just doing a written test.

Does anyone have any pointers to links for reading this up (before I just wander into the Police Station).

Thanks

mshamber

Post by mshamber » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:33 pm

Some countries have an agreement with Finland and I believe Australia is one of them where you can just switch your license. You have a year from your arrival to make the switch. I think you also need to registered as a resident of Finland. If they see you have been here previously and did not switch your license, they may not let you change it.

You will need to turn on your old Australia one. I think you also need a witness to sign that you have been driving in the country on the Australian license. (this could be old requirement)
Last edited by mshamber on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

betelgeuse

Re: revive an old thread (was Re: Driving licence)

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:34 pm

obakesan wrote:I find myself back in Finland again, living out in Pohjois Karjala and wondering about getting my Finnish Drivers Licence.

I have held an Australian Drivers Licence for decades now and I was under the impression that I could obtain a Finnish one for just doing a written test.

Does anyone have any pointers to links for reading this up (before I just wander into the Police Station).
http://www.trafi.fi/en/road/i_have_a_dr ... gn_licence

obakesan

Re: revive an old thread (was Re: Driving licence)

Post by obakesan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:11 pm

thanks!

Just what I was looking for (but hadn't found)

:-)

obakesan

Post by obakesan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi

reading the page http://www.trafi.fi/en/road/i_have_a_dr ... gn_licence

I see it says:
You must submit your driving licence permit application to an Ajovarma office in person. Remember to bring
  • your passport or another type of official ID;
  • two photographs;
  • a medical certificate (Contracting States only; if you are exchanging a licence issued in an EU or EEA Member State, you will only have to enclose a medical certificate if you are upgrading your driving licence to a higher category);
I checked and found that Australia is a Contracting State.

I assume this means I will need some sort of medical certificate? Where would I get such? From my local Hospital? A private Doctor?

Also, is there any " grace time " while I sort this out? (Meaning am I forbidden from driving until I get a licence?) I arrived on the 11th of October

If noone knows, then I guess that I'll find out on Monday :-)

browndude

Post by browndude » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:28 pm

obakesan wrote:Hi

reading the page http://www.trafi.fi/en/road/i_have_a_dr ... gn_licence

I see it says:
You must submit your driving licence permit application to an Ajovarma office in person. Remember to bring
  • your passport or another type of official ID;
  • two photographs;
  • a medical certificate (Contracting States only; if you are exchanging a licence issued in an EU or EEA Member State, you will only have to enclose a medical certificate if you are upgrading your driving licence to a higher category);
I checked and found that Australia is a Contracting State.

I assume this means I will need some sort of medical certificate? Where would I get such? From my local Hospital? A private Doctor?

Also, is there any " grace time " while I sort this out? (Meaning am I forbidden from driving until I get a licence?) I arrived on the 11th of October

If noone knows, then I guess that I'll find out on Monday :-)
I exchanged my Sri Lankan + American (long story how I got both of those) drivers licences for a Finnish one for a couple of hundred euros. As someone said earlier, you have to do it within one year of your official arrival in Finland. I went to a doctor in Itäkeskus paid something like 50 euros for a quick exam and got the certificate and submitted my application and got the license fairly quickly.
ImageImage