DATE to DATE suomeksi?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
rendall

DATE to DATE suomeksi?

Post by rendall » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:20 am

I want to express the idea of an event occurring from DATE to DATE. For instance 9.6.2014 to13.6.2014. What is the equivalent of the word 'to' in that case?

DATE to DATE suomeksi?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

macora

Re: DATE to DATE suomeksi?

Post by macora » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:04 pm

I totally should keep quiet. Seeing that your question is 2 days old though... I might spark someone who really knows into answering...

I'd go with mistä mihin. That is, first point in time in elative and second in illative. Now, declension of ordinal numbers... •gulp• How about you keep the hyphen? 8) Seriously, not sure one gets away with 9.:stä and 13.:en... (especially since the later would not have the -en at the end, anyway, I guess).

Can someone confirm that I am of course wrong? :)

jahasjahas

Re: DATE to DATE suomeksi?

Post by jahasjahas » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:09 pm

The easiest way would indeed be

"Tapahtuma järjestetään 9.6.—13.6.2014." (That's a dash symbol, but a hyphen is good enough if that's all you can produce with your keyboard.)

I would read that out loud as "Tapahtuma järjestetään yhdeksäs kuudetta viiva kolmastoista kuudetta kaksituhattaneljätoista." (or "kesäkuuta" instead of "kuudetta")

Trying to use cases with long combinations of numbers will often end up in tears, so if there's a shortcut available, take it.