Annual rates of auto related costs?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Pelle55

Post by Pelle55 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:02 am

I am considering bringing to Finland my 10 year old, but very good condition automobile. I am seeking info to get an idea of what factors are considered for calculating insurance, registration, inspection frequency & cost. Any informed input from the experienced will be greatly appreciated.

Kiitos.

The more pity, that fools may not speak wisely what wise men do foolishly.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:04 am

Dont't forget to include the price of gasolene in your calculations :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:10 am

OK, lets tackle the easy questions first.

- Inspection is yearly, and mandatory.
- Paying the vehichle tax is mandatory (I pay 42 euros 4x year IIRC)
- Insurance is dependent much on the size of engine, secondary is make, driving history and county you live in. Theres calculators on the net, I can get an approximate quote if you tell the make & model.

- Importing the car... heh. OK. Youre bringing a non-EU car as moveable property. There used to be a good page at http://www.tulli.fi , but they've been shuffling it about. Basically you get a waiver for the tax if the car is assessed under a certain value (this has nothing to do with the price of the car). Then you cannot sell nor let anyone but immediate family drive it for 2 years.

- Once you get it imported and taxed there might be some small changes you need to get done (like US cars need the red side reflectors turned to yellow or painted over etc etc) or some bigger changes. You better have some usual make, but that doesn't really count as the makes are different in different areas.

I have a 88 Daewoo LeMans which has been sold in the USA as Pontiac LeMans and the mold is a Opel Kadett 'E' -type. But when I go get parts I need to get the part number and go to the GM dealer and they go, so OK, front shocks... 1992 Astra STW...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Pelle55

Post by Pelle55 » Sat May 01, 2004 8:05 am

The car in question is a 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible, Indianapolis 500 Pace Car replica, one of 1000 manufactured. It has a V-8 engine, I plan to drive it very little and of course, no-one besides me will drive it. I am a mature driver, a relatively clean driving record, certainly no citations while I lived in Finland, and will reside in the Tampere area. I have owned it since new. The "Black Book" value is just over 10,000 USD, the "Blue Book" is considerably less, as "Blue Book" does not factor in the limited edition, or rarity exponent. I realize that unleaded is roughly twice as expensive as it is here in th PNW. Thanks for the info.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun May 02, 2004 5:07 pm

1994 Ford Mustang CVT V8? ...(25 years too young to be called a car :wink: ...but..)

insurance = OUCH
Ok, so I gave it an engine from 3.6 => living in Helsinki.
Obigatory traffic 650/year (pays for the other guy)
Now a
full collision insurance + theft + vandalism + moose + fire
- with bonus, liability 151 euros = 1350/year
- without bonus, liability 400 euros = 670/year
- without bonus, liability 600 euros= 500/year
partial collision, moose, theft, fire w/o bomus, liability 151 = 68/year

so depending on the deal, ballpark is from 700 => 2000

gasoline costs = 1.25 per liter - you figure it out...

Ditch them books, the tax value of the car is the value of a "similar car in Finland", more accurate is the pizza taxi menu off the yellow pages. The customs uses a stetson method for these (pulls from the hat).OK, so far I found a 1988 Mustang 5.0 GT assessed at 10 500.00 EUR...

"Importation of Personal Belongings and Private Motor Vehicles as Removal Goods into Finland"
http://www.tulli.fi/en/02_Publications/ ... 08_eng.jsp
Cheers, Hank W.

Pelle55

Post by Pelle55 » Tue May 04, 2004 8:15 am

Thanks for the help and info, Hank. I suppose I'll just sell the thing before I make the trek.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue May 04, 2004 9:45 am

Well, there is the 13.500 limit on tax on removal goods.

Yes its a hassle, but on the other hand you'd have a car everyone would be drooling about... then again you have to calculate the price of a guarded garage spot to the expenses...
Cheers, Hank W.