Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
jhegedus42

seksi on tarkoitettu osaksi tervellistä elamantapaa

Post by jhegedus42 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi

why is partititive used after osaksi ?

why not tervellisen elamantavan osaksi?

can someone point out the paragraph in Visk that would explain this construct?

visk : http://scripta.kotus.fi/visk/etusivu.php

is this a finnishism?

in other words why is partitive the rektio of osaksi ?

what is the logic in this sentence ?

Jozsef

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

AldenG

Re: seksi on tarkoitettu osaksi tervellistä elamantapaa

Post by AldenG » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:27 pm

With another "e" in terveellistä and terveellisen, both formulations are OK with what I perceive to be slightly different shades of meaning. But I won't risk planting a wrong idea in your head and will let Jukka or jahasjahas explain what that difference is.

I don't know that you can get a satisfying answer to "why" -- just note the paradigm for future use and move on. It's not an uncommon one.

But if you'd like a rationalization in English, partitive often represents "of" and that's exactly how you'd say it in English: (to be=ksi) part of a healthy lifestyle (or "way of life").

My question here would be "who is doing the intending?"
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:54 pm

The case ending on osaksi doesn't change anything. It's osa itself that wants one case or another. Sometimes that's partitive and sometimes it's elative and if I'm not repeating something I've heard, I'm often unsure.

Osa meistä lähti mukaan.
Ruotsi on osa Skandinaviaa.
Näet vain pienen osan kokonaisuutta/kokonaisuudesta. Google thinks partitive is preferred 10:1 or 11:1, so maybe elative is just wrong here. But natives do seem to use it sometimes.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:07 am

AldenG wrote:With another "e" in terveellistä and terveellisen, both formulations are OK with what I perceive to be slightly different shades of meaning. But I won't risk planting a wrong idea in your head and will let Jukka or jahasjahas explain what that difference is.
Probably something as vague as the choice of using or not using the indefinite article together with the word “part”.

Seksi on tarkoitettu osaksi terveellistä elämäntapaa.
“Sex is meant to be a part of a healthy lifestyle.”

Seksi on tarkoitettu terveellisen elämäntavan osaksi.
“Sex is meant to be part of a healthy lifestyle.”
AldenG wrote:My question here would be "who is doing the intending?"
I was wondering the same... it reads like the writer is assigning “meaning” and “intent” to something which may have none and covertly trying to sell their personal belief system as a natural fact. :P
znark

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:33 am

OK, that's a smaller difference than I imagined.

I thought your first was more recommending a healthy lifestyle alongside sex and your second was more recommending (the inclusion of) sex in a healthy lifestyle. But hair-splitting in any case. And I suppose if I turn my mind upside down, I could read it the other way, too.