finnish social security number

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
fastinjun

Post by fastinjun » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:17 pm

anyone here have any luck obtaining a social security number? I bought a car recently and was asked for this number but of course didnt have one. Also the bank keeps asking me for one. I have a chance of a job in May and the employer now wants this number as well.

any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

interleukin

Re: finnish social security number

Post by interleukin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:05 pm

You get this number when you register at the Maistratti offices. If you have not done this, you are not a resident of Finland, only a tourist. A tourist does not need to open bank accounts or buy cars.

maurine

Post by maurine » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:18 pm

You must have a social security number if you are living Finland. Since you are also starting to work soon, you must have it before you get a tax card i guess also for your car insurance
If you wish to convince people of something, it is more useful to be entertaining than to be right

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Didn't you read last time what we wrote or are you being extra dense? You go to the maistraatti and register yourself. No mañana mañana. They want to see a work contract when you go, so get one from your employer. Then when you have your number you go to the tax office and get a tax card. They want to see the maistraatti paper and the contract so they can calculate your %. Then after a few months you go to the police and get the EU paper and they want to see all the papers you have. And then go back to the maistraatti so you get yourself permanently domiciled. Then you fill in for KELA card as well...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Mattay

Post by Mattay » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi

Thought i might bump this post as to see if there has been an update to this process,I am on a working holiday visa (Resident permet B) have been working in Kemi for 4 months but am now in Jyväskylä looking for work. my previous job didnt require me to obtain a social security number and is the proccess above still valid ?? cant really afford to wait "months" to get a SSN.

On the other hand it could be on my resident permit card but i wouldnt have a clue which number it is??

can someone please help

cheers

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:06 pm

A residence permit is a permit to reside, the ID-number is another thing.

The format is DDMMYY-XXXX (your date of birth plus four random numbers).

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:49 pm

interleukin wrote:A residence permit is a permit to reside, the ID-number is another thing.

The format is DDMMYY-XXXX (your date of birth plus four random numbers).
The format is xxxxxxyzzzq where xxxxxx is date of birth, y is +- or A and indicates the century, zzz identification number for people born in same day and q is validation number.
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henkil%C3%B6tunnus

Also the code is personal identity code, it has the exactly same format as defunct social security number and those haven't been issued in decades. That hasn't stopped people calling it ssn though... :)
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

saha2050

Post by saha2050 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 am

Hi, Is it possible to get someone finnish social security number online or how can I get it?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:30 am

You go to the maistraatti where you live at. With all the papers.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:07 am

saha2050 wrote:Hi, Is it possible to get someone finnish social security number online or how can I get it?
Oh sure... "Hey, could I have 12 unique identification numbers conveniently in the most easily forged way so I could come up with extra personalities for fraud?"

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Tiwaz wrote:
saha2050 wrote:Hi, Is it possible to get someone finnish social security number online or how can I get it?
Oh sure... "Hey, could I have 12 unique identification numbers conveniently in the most easily forged way so I could come up with extra personalities for fraud?"
Actually the personal identification codes for a huge chunk of the population was easily available for years through the trade register (they recently changed it). The personal identity code should never be used as authentication by anyone but sadly it still happens.