Questions about Studying and working in Law

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
ImpactedMarmot

Post by ImpactedMarmot » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:18 am

Hi Everyone! :)

I'm new to the Forum and was hoping people could help me with some questions and issues I'm having! (Sorry in advance for my annoying questions!)

My partner and I are looking to move to Finland and undertake Masters Degrees in Law there and hopefully(!) gain employment afterwards. The moving to Finland part wouldn't really be an issue for me since I am half-Finnish and speak the language (mostly) fluently having lived there for over 10 years. However, my partner is British and speaks only English. We both recently graduated with good law degrees from one of the top Universities in the UK and mainly want to move to Finland for a better work-life balance.

I was hoping someone could help us with some of the following issues:

- Are the International Masters in Law from Finnish Universities actually valued by Finnish employers since they do not lead to an OTM degree? (For example: http://www.helsinki.fi/llm/general_description.html)

(And if you do an International Masters in Law but can graduate as an OTM as the website says you can, will it be less respected than a normal OTM degree? "Students admitted to the MICL programme can also complete a regular Finnish Master of Laws degree required for positions in the jurisdiction, provided they have completed a Finnish Bachelor of Laws degree or passed an EEA aptitude test for the Bachelor of Laws level.")

- Are there any jobs in the Finnish legal sector for graduates who do not speak Finnish and have an international law degree rather than an OTM?

Also if anyone has any insight into studying law/working in the legal sector in Finland and wouldn't mind me asking them a bunch of questions that would be absolutely super! Does anyone know if the International Lawyers' Association of Finland is still around or if there is a similar organisation that could provide some help? :D

Thanks so much guys!

p.s. If anyone has been in a similar situation and would be willing to talk to me I'd really appreciate it!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic