iphone / ipad apps

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
lpuerto

iphone / ipad apps

Post by lpuerto » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi!

I just have begun my finnish course and I will need a good finnish / english dictionary... Can you recommend me any good app for the iphone / ipad for that purpose?

For me is the same free or paid app (free preferred of course) but I am looking for a good and comprehensive dictionary that even works without internet instead of something online and free.

Thanks in advance!

iphone / ipad apps

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ml14

Re: iphone / ipad apps

Post by ml14 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:25 am

The dictionary websites suomisanakirja.fi (Finnish-Finnish) and sanakirja.org (Finnish-English) each have their own app. If you visit either website on your smartphone browser, it should give you the link to download the app.

(My smartphone is an Android, but I would imagine that these apps exist for the iPhone/iPad as well.)

lpuerto

Post by lpuerto » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Kiitos!

cressers

Post by cressers » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:18 pm

the google translate app for iOS is good, i am using that.

lpuerto

Post by lpuerto » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:06 pm

I am looking for something good that does not need internet connection. Just in case...

I have find wiktionary very useful to find the meaning of Finnish words and to do declension and conjugation. However, it is not very useful the other way around...

Besides I think there is not offline version.

Perhaps something like this, but as an app and with a base language english would be great.

ml14

Post by ml14 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:20 am

lpuerto wrote:Perhaps something like this, but as an app and with a base language english would be great.
That dictionary comes with a CD, which has a digital version of the dictionary you can install on your computer (and search without an internet connection).

My copy (which I bought almost 5 years ago) only works on a normal Windows/Mac computer, but perhaps they have come out with a smartphone or iPad app since then.