Should I Take a New YKI Test or Not?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
liliacea

Post by liliacea » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi, I have a question on whether I should take the YKI test again or not.
So, the thing is, I took the YKI test for the first time 4 years ago, back when I was an exchange student in Finland. It was my 6th month learning Finnish, so I took the intermediate level and got fours from each section.
Now, 4 years later, I feel like my Finnish has improved quite a lot and I'd like to sit the exam again in advanced level, mostly for personal reasons - that is, I'd like to test how much my Finnish actually improved. But then I also think, is it really that necessary? I mean, if I ever want to apply for a citizenship somewhere along the way in the future (many many, many years later), I already have a certificate that is enough for that. So, I'm on the fence on whether should I pay the 145 Euros or not? Because clearly, I haven't used or needed my current certificate anywhere so far. I kind of feel like I did the wrong thing back in 2010 by taking the exam. Maybe I should have waited until now, and write the exam now in advanced level in the first place... But then again, I at least got some experience a level 4 certificate, which is better than nothing... But so, what do you guys think? Is it necessary to take a new exam or not?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Should I Take a New YKI Test or Not?

Post by Upphew » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:54 pm

liliacea wrote:Hi, I have a question on whether I should take the YKI test again or not.
So, the thing is, I took the YKI test for the first time 4 years ago, back when I was an exchange student in Finland. It was my 6th month learning Finnish, so I took the intermediate level and got fours from each section.
Now, 4 years later, I feel like my Finnish has improved quite a lot and I'd like to sit the exam again in advanced level, mostly for personal reasons - that is, I'd like to test how much my Finnish actually improved. But then I also think, is it really that necessary? I mean, if I ever want to apply for a citizenship somewhere along the way in the future (many many, many years later), I already have a certificate that is enough for that. So, I'm on the fence on whether should I pay the 145 Euros or not? Because clearly, I haven't used or needed my current certificate anywhere so far. I kind of feel like I did the wrong thing back in 2010 by taking the exam. Maybe I should have waited until now, and write the exam now in advanced level in the first place... But then again, I at least got some experience a level 4 certificate, which is better than nothing... But so, what do you guys think? Is it necessary to take a new exam or not?
Necessary? No. People use their money for worse things than getting certificates or things they want. 145€ is less than one drunken weekend and surely better use for money.

Mad props for getting fours after such a short studies!
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Re: Should I Take a New YKI Test or Not?

Post by 007 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:10 pm

liliacea wrote:I'd like to sit the exam again in advanced level, mostly for personal reasons - that is, I'd like to test how much my Finnish actually improved. But then I also think, is it really that necessary?
In fact, advanced level of Finnish skills (C1, C2) etc is required if you apply for university level education in Finnish language. In addition, if you seek a govt. job, then also it is a mandatory for naturalized citizens as far as I know. In order cases, it might not be necessary.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"