Yki Testi Jan 2015

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Charles Ade

Yki Testi Jan 2015

Post by Charles Ade » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Moi kaikkille/ Hello All

Please can anyone recommend or give advice on how to pass the yki test -keski taso on Finnish language. Most especially the 'puhuuminen and puhumeen ymmärtäminen. In other words, skills or methods to improve on listening and speaking Finnish language will be well appreciated.
Thanks

Yki Testi Jan 2015

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Yki Testi Jan 2015

Post by Upphew » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:03 pm

There is no easy way. Only talking and listening will help you.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:33 pm

My unofficial "test" to determine if you're gonna pass YKI with at least 3 is this:
Read a Simple Finnish article on Yle out loud to a Finn, then explain it to them in English, then they'd read it themselves. If the person tell you that what you said in Finnish matches at least 80-90% of the article, and what you said in English matches 60-70% of the meaning of the article, then you'll probably pass YKI with 3.

So far, I've had 100% success rate with this test. Granted, it's only been tested on 2 people, but still :lol:
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Post by 007 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:51 pm

Charles Ade wrote:Moi kaikkille/ Hello All

Please can anyone recommend or give advice on how to pass the yki test -keski taso on Finnish language. Most especially the 'puhuuminen and puhumeen ymmärtäminen. In other words, skills or methods to improve on listening and speaking Finnish language will be well appreciated.
Thanks
You should listen PuheRadio ad nauseam. nothing but Finnish, you read Finnish, eat Finnish, walk Finnish, talk Finnish. You even dream Finnish. You then get drunk and go to talk with random drunkards. You will then find yourself correcting your own Finnish.....when that happens, you are already above keskitaso.

and, I am not joking. Try to watch Finnish movies/TV serials with Finnish subtitles as much as possible. Don't be afraid to make mistakes while speaking - this is rather hard for myself.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

Charles Ade

Post by Charles Ade » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Upphew wrote:There is no easy way. Only talking and listening will help you.
Thanks for your reply.

Charles Ade

Post by Charles Ade » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:18 pm

adnan wrote:My unofficial "test" to determine if you're gonna pass YKI with at least 3 is this:
Read a Simple Finnish article on Yle out loud to a Finn, then explain it to them in English, then they'd read it themselves. If the person tell you that what you said in Finnish matches at least 80-90% of the article, and what you said in English matches 60-70% of the meaning of the article, then you'll probably pass YKI with 3.

So far, I've had 100% success rate with this test. Granted, it's only been tested on 2 people, but still :lol:
Thanks Adnan. Though your method sounds unofficial but it makes a lot of sense.

Charles Ade

Post by Charles Ade » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:34 pm

007 wrote:

Thanks
You should listen PuheRadio ad nauseam. nothing but Finnish, you read Finnish, eat Finnish, walk Finnish, talk Finnish. You even dream Finnish. You then get drunk and go to talk with random drunkards. You will then find yourself correcting your own Finnish.....when that happens, you are already above keskitaso.

and, I am not joking. Try to watch Finnish movies/TV serials with Finnish subtitles as much as possible. Don't be afraid to make mistakes while speaking - this is rather hard for myself.
Whao, What a practical advice. Thanks. Please what do you mean by ' nauseam'

Charles Ade

Post by Charles Ade » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:36 pm

tummansininen wrote:Listen to the YLE news - you should be able to basically understand it without reading at the same time or without reading a translation. Plus conversation, at least one hour a day. It does not have to be with native speakers, other students is fine. Either contact your schoolmates and arrange to coffee regularly or attend the language cafes run by the greater Helsinki libraries.
Thanks for your advice Tummansininen. I will put in more efforts now.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:00 pm

Charles Ade wrote:Please what do you mean by ' nauseam'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_nauseam
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

caster

Post by caster » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks

How was the YKI assessment ;) Did you enjoyed
I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. I'm gonna grant him all my old underwears that fit his head helping his nose stays in place

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:31 pm

caster wrote:How was the YKI assessment ;) Did you enjoyed
It's on 24 January 2015.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

caster

Post by caster » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:33 pm

adnan wrote:
caster wrote:How was the YKI assessment ;) Did you enjoyed
It's on 24 January 2015.

:thumbsup:
I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. I'm gonna grant him all my old underwears that fit his head helping his nose stays in place