Cross country skiis for a beginner, questions!

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
beefcake

Post by beefcake » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi I came to finland two months ago. I've been skiing only once in my life and it was years ago. I'm good at street in-line skate tho.
So I want to start myself into the cross country ski. I been looking for equipment to buy (i live in a small village so rent here it's imposible).

I don't want to spend much money, so I been comparing prizes. A start package for beginners would be nive for me. Also I don't know if I would prefeer the skate style or the clasic, maybe skate it's better for me but I'll have to try both so I can decide.

Maybe I should go for a classic skiis and boots? So I can do classic if I wax and skate if I don't?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Redshift

Re: Cross country skiis for a beginner, questions!

Post by Redshift » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:53 pm

You can't skate with classic skis / boots. Skis are different, bindings, boots... Don't go that route.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:47 pm

You need to go to a store to buy the equipment anyway, so why not just ask the salesperson, surely they'll be able to help you. Just go to a real sport equipment store, not some supermarket.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:23 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:You need to go to a store to buy the equipment anyway, so why not just ask the salesperson, surely they'll be able to help you. Just go to a real sport equipment store, not some supermarket.
Supermarkets can have ok salespersons, but I wouldn't count on that. If you don't end up standing on the skis during sales pitch, you don't want to buy.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

victor

Post by victor » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Hello,

In case it's not too late:

1.Skating style is more demanding, you just can't go slow and easy. It requires a better condition.
Classic style, you can set a slower pace if you want.

2. Check the local parks where you would go for skiing tracks.
For skating style you need a wide path and sometimes (smaller) parks only have the paralel rails for classic style. It has happened to me in Finland and also Sweden.
Also when parks are not maintained, you will only find classic style routes done by someone else. Skating style requires a flattened surface or little amount of snow.

3. It is possible for skate with classic skis but they're not meant for that, neither the boots are meant for that so if you try that is only for giving you an idea of how demanding is the skating style and if you like the different skiing.
You cannot do classic with skating style skis.

In terms of price, you can always try to buy second hand equipment for example in huuto.net or other site like that before being sure which one to buy.

And waxing with the tape wax has worked nicely for me, easier to put and remove and almost the same result in terms of grip.